Options

unemployment falls again

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Why do we pay carers looking after the very elderly minimum wage?

I don't want a UKIP govt but I can see that it would be "educational" for so many people. The morning after the GE, all the carers are given an air ticket to go home. The afternoon after the GE, an ambulance will pull up at your house "delivering" your elderly relatives.

Who did you think was going to look after them?

In no time at all you will "remember" why the job is so difficult and why you chose not to take on the task. Not even for £15 an hour.

Alarmist nonsense
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    but on the one hand you are saying
    "Last year we had nine areas of skills shortages, now we have 43 areas. Every single type of engineering is in short supply, from mechanical to software, civil to electrical,"

and then

"here is no shortage of people to do these jobs, supply and demand over supply forcing down the value,"

which is a contridiction.

We have a surplus of people who are not very good at doing stuff, so as long as they can read road signs, give the correct change for a burger, we need to give them a helping hand

Not a contridiction.when people with these skills have been leaving the uk, because of better pay a condions else were, and all these people at uni now learning these skills i wonder if they wiil stay or go to other parts of the world to work. Some of the skills needed to years to get. Tier 2 Shortage Occupation List government approved version https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.uk%2Fgovernment%2Fuploads%2Fsystem%2Fuploads%2Fattachment_data%2Ffile%2F308513%2Fshortageoccupationlistapril14.pdf&ei=0uyRVK6bNsnVaoe0gvgB&usg=AFQjCNE1tYlCqfS3JHRpUuG-DYoBw_IrVA&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d2s
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but they would be on the scrounge not working ? so at least they are getting out of bed
    Not everyone who doesn't work wants to be in that situation. Most want a job but find it difficult to get one. I absolutely hate the word 'scrounger' as that implies that everyone on benefits is one. I've been unemployed for 6 weeks now and look for work every day. I've had 2 interviews and no job yet.
    Thjnk it it easy to get a job?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people wanted to improve their skills and make themselves more employable, they could. The Internet has made this easier and less expensive than ever.
    Courses online cost money. Some can't afford to do that. Great if you can, not so great if you can't afford it.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Why do we pay carers looking after the very elderly minimum wage?

I don't want a UKIP govt but I can see that it would be "educational" for so many people. The morning after the GE, all the carers are given an air ticket to go home. The afternoon after the GE, an ambulance will pull up at your house "delivering" your elderly relatives.

Who did you think was going to look after them?

In no time at all you will "remember" why the job is so difficult and why you chose not to take on the task. Not even for £15 an hour.

I looked after my mum who had MS for 10 years, until she died I dont "need" the state to do anything for my family
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I looked after my mum who had MS for 10 years, until she died I dont "need" the state to do anything for my family
    What full time, And millions of people are not in a postion to be able to do this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Courses online cost money. Some can't afford to do that. Great if you can, not so great if you can't afford it.

There are an awful lot of free MOOCs that are very good and there are also a lot of low cost paid courses on the likes of Udemy, edX and Udacity.

You also may laugh but Youtube is also full of great lecture videos for free.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    There's nothing to applaud seriously, when around 4.6 million families receive tax credits. It's around 1.4 million families that are out of work and claiming, leaving around 3.2 million families in work and claiming tax credits.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/compendiums/compendium-of-uk-statistics/social-indicators/index.html

You can find the figures for out of work and in work families claiming, in the spreadsheet "Child and Working Tax Credits statistics finalised annual awards 2012 to 2013" of Table 1A. Note that if was revised on 10th Dec 2014, so it's still relevant.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/personal-tax-credits-finalised-award-statistics-geographical-statistics-2012-to-2013

How is having millions of families requiring tax credits to support their families is a good thing?

It allows them to work at a rate that is efficient for the economy whilst topping up their wages from taxpayers who are richer than them. What's the alternative?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »

But apart from endlessly posting this link, what do you actually suggest doing about this? Do you seriously think this is a problem that is specific to the UK?
    Also did you notice the huge growth in real wages under the Tories in the 1980s? I await your praise for Mrs Thatcher ;-)
    No they are not uprated or matched with inflation, n his Autumn Statement, Chancellor George Osborne announced plans to place a three-year cap of 1% on increases in most working-age benefits and tax credits from April 2013., and now are being froozen so no increase for any working age benefit. One of the biggest increases has been to people needing to claim the means tested housing benefit

Uprated means increased and most are, you have said yourself - 1% on most working age benefits.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Ain't partisan politics great?

Heya Pot.. having a go at the Kettles again?
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope that one day you can learn to have respect for the parents of other people. But on the evidence of your posting history - that seems unlikely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What full time, And millions of people are not in a postion to be able to do this

Family did.

It's always easy for socilists to let the state sort things out for them, and moan when it's not funded enough for their extravagent tastes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Not everyone who doesn't work wants to be in that situation. Most want a job but find it difficult to get one. I absolutely hate the word 'scrounger' as that implies that everyone on benefits is one. I've been unemployed for 6 weeks now and look for work every day. I've had 2 interviews and no job yet.
    Thjnk it it easy to get a job?

Then get better at "doing" stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Family did.

It's always easy for socilists to let the state sort things out for them, and moan when it's not funded enough for their extravagent tastes

Alot of people dont live close by, no room to have the person to move in with them, house not suitable, and lots of real reasons why people cannot do the caring roll, so many families now need both husband and wife to go out to work.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    It allows them to work at a rate that is efficient for the economy whilst topping up their wages from taxpayers who are richer than them. What's the alternative?

Have employers match the amount paid in working tax credits after a certain period of employment.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have employers match the amount paid in working tax credits after a certain period of employment.

Wouldn't that result in them being laid off and a new person employed? Also, what about small retailers who can't afford it?
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Wouldn't that result in them being laid off and a new person employed? Also, what about small retailers who can't afford it?

You would have to have rules or laws in place, against employers from firing people on that basis.

In terms of small businesses, maybe have exemptions for businesses earning less than a certain amount or an alternative is for business to have to cover part of the tax credits depending on how much a business earns in profit and how long the employee has been employed.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

£10ph NMW and employers who can't afford it haven't got a viable business anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im doing all I can. Having s disability means I'm restricted to what jobs I can do. The job market isn't that great up here either. You have no idea how difficult it is.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's true to some degree, but some people might just be trapped without the proper education or training. I don't see any progress in helping people to be able to get jobs in higher paying roles.

A bigger problem is oversaturation, with not having enough well paid jobs for people, as there are far too many qualified people for a certain job. We are overly pumping people into Universities and now apprenticeships.

Another issue is the mass immigration of people settling in the UK and driving up the welfare bill but also more people trying to get jobs. They also drive down wages by working cheaper. An issue, no one even touches on and the coalition government has failed to correct.

If we are going to create a higher value jobs landscape "pumping people into Universities and now Apprenticeships" is not a problem per se, what is is developing and delivering programmes in sectors where there is potential growth. In any case the latest ONS figures show a drop in young people accessing training.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We could all get better at doing stuff, I'll refrain from pointing out some people's shortcomings on here as it's against T&Cs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Heya Pot.. having a go at the Kettles again?

Eh? I am probably one of the least partisan posters on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £10ph NMW and employers who can't afford it haven't got a viable business anyway.

Great let's further increase youth unemployment because people coming out of school and college don't have the experience employers will inevitably look for and that they can't get because they don't have experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a nice round number! Is there any other nation on Earth that has such a high figure? The highest I can find is Australia on AUD 16.87 which comes out at about £8.80.
  • Options
    moldoviamoldovia Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Unemployment IS NOT going down and that is a fact but what is happening is for example people who attend such organisations such as A4e do not appear on the unemployment figures and hundreds, if not thousands, of people are sanctioned very week thus stopping them from claiming JSA and again will not appear on the unemployment figures. I made a FOI request at two local Job Centres Plus offices and the first thing they asked me when handing my written request in was when did I next sign on to sanction me for asking for this information. Well for one thing I do not sign on and for another my request was refused thus proving that the government is obviously lying to the country.