Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,028
    Forum Member
    Poor Ant and Dec. what a busy schedule
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    But it was given an easy slot to either find it's feet or fail - it's not like it was thrown against Strictly and expected to sink or swim (unlike last year!)
    I won't deny that.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's ready I suspect we might see Jekyll and Hyde against Strictly on Saturdays next Autumn...
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Not according to Digital Spy which says it got 4.99m: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a204751/lets-dance-opens-to-63-million.html

The point is... Take Me Out, besides a few episodes here and there such as the one when it had an XF lead-in, has never proven to be a regular 5m+ success. It launched with 3.6m off the back of an incompatible football post-match-analysis lead-in and has rated around 4.5m for most of its first three series. Hardly a big growing hit.

That was episode 8. Episode 6 got 5.09m.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s1/heroes/news/a201964/heroes-hits-series-low-of-740000.html#~oR9yy9aNYKVJQN
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Also Doctor Who got no Strictly boost whatsoever which will be disappointing for BBC1.

Good old Merlin and his solid 5-6M overnights up against a super strong TXF. Those were the days. ;-)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not according to Digital Spy which says it got 4.99m: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a204751/lets-dance-opens-to-63-million.html

The point is... Take Me Out, besides a few episodes here and there such as the one when it had an XF lead-in, has never proven to be a regular 5m+ success. It launched with 3.6m off the back of an incompatible football post-match-analysis lead-in and has rated around 4.5m for most of its first three series. Hardly a big growing hit.

I would tend to agree with Sam where Take Me Out is concerned:

Take Me Out - Series Averages
    Series 1 - 4.83m (January-February 2010)
    Series 2 - 4.97m / 5.37m (December 2010-March 2011)
    Series 3 - 5.22m / 5.49m (January-April 2012)
    Series 4 - 3.47m / 3.69m (October-December 2012)
    Series 5 - 4.43m / 4.68m (January-February 2013)
    Series 6 - 4.13m / 4.36m (January-February 2014)

Excluding Christmas Specials
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with Sam where Take Me Out is concerned:

Take Me Out - Series Averages
    Series 1 - 4.83m (January-February 2010)
    Series 2 - 4.97m / 5.37m (December 2010-March 2011)
    Series 3 - 5.22m / 5.49m (January-April 2012)
    Series 4 - 3.47m / 3.69m (October-December 2012)
    Series 5 - 4.43m / 4.68m (January-February 2013)
    Series 6 - 4.13m / 4.36m (January-February 2014)

Excluding Christmas Specials

So would I. A gentle climb followed by a gentle decline (excluding the series that faced Strictly).
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Just who wants to watch Ant and Dec in a sitcom? They cant act in case anybody as missed that fact.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Lot of nonesense being talked about DW I see. It should have had a SCD boost apparently and lets ignore the fact it clashed in its entirety with XF for the first time ever. I was expecting a bit of a fall.

Merlin managed 5m opposite The X Factor. Doctor Who should have done better. Not the end of the world but the days of Doctor Who getting spectacular numbers during a regular series have gone.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    So would I. A gentle climb followed by a gentle decline (excluding the series that faced Strictly).
    Those stats (thanks DMN) proves what I was saying. Series 3 of TMO consolidated to 5.2m but as soon as it faced SCD, its ratings went down by about 1.5m. This proves that for a show to be able to hold up 4.5m or so against SCD, it needs to be the sort of show which can get 5.5m+ routinely anyway.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's ready I suspect we might see Jekyll and Hyde against Strictly on Saturdays next Autumn...

That's be interesting scheduling. If they could get Harry Hill to return with TV Burp (his movie struggled and musical failed so he might like some work, as long as they stick to 13 episodes - I think he hated the extended series) they may have a decent pre-X Factor line up.

17.30 Celebrity Chase
    18.30 Jekyll and Hyde
    19.30 Harry Hill's TV Burp
    20.00 The X Factor

If The X Factor is only 90 minutes long they need something decent to follow it.

But will ITV really pitch a new family drama against Strictly?

Talking of drama have we heard any more about the rumoured Beowulf?
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,644
    Forum Member
    They need a comedian to host "Strictly" there's not enough of Claudia Winkleman wit to keep it going as Tess is there as a competent host. I think Norton would be excellent, I do wonder if the BBC would want Tess to step down too.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Just who wants to watch Ant and Dec in a sitcom? They cant act in case anybody as missed that fact.

What, a couple of 'likely lads' like them.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would tend to agree with Sam where Take Me Out is concerned...
    The point however was that Take Me Out is an example of a show that started badly and then grew something Samuel is sure doesn't ever happen on prime time on BBC1 or ITV any more. Certainly there's a case to be made that it hasn't sustained for long enough but that doesn't disprove the notion that if you just stick with a decent format it can grow an audience in prime time on ITV.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 20th September - Consolidated
    The X Factor - 9.69m (40.8%) / 9.94m (41.9%)
    Doctor Who - 6.99m (29.6%)

Sorry Doctor Who fans, but 7,400 was the difference between you and the magical 7.00m. :(
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    They need a comedian to host "Strictly" there's not enough of Claudia Winkleman wit to keep it going as Tess is there as a competent host. I think Norton would be excellent, I do wonder if the BBC would want Tess to step down too.

The BBC almost gave the job to Nick Knowles!!!! :confused:

Actually, Lionel Blair would have been a decent host as would Anton Du Beke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's be interesting scheduling. If they could get Harry Hill to return with TV Burp (his movie struggled and musical failed so he might like some work, as long as they stick to 13 episodes - I think he hated the extended series) they may have a decent pre-X Factor line up.

17.30 Celebrity Chase
    18.30 Jekyll and Hyde
    20.00 The X Factor

If The X Factor is only 90 minutes long they need something decent to follow it.

Drama is slowly declining though. There's far too much of it! people want to be entertained.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Saturday 20th September - Consolidated
    The X Factor - 9.69m (40.8%) / 9.94m (41.9%)
    Doctor Who - 6.99m (29.6%)

Sorry Doctor Who fans, but 7,400 was the difference between you and the magical 7.00m. :(

Thanks DMN. I had a feeling that would happen, I think I'd have preferred it to be further away than to be so close and fail. Ah well, maybe next series.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Merlin managed 5m opposite The X Factor. Doctor Who should have done better. Not the end of the world but the days of Doctor Who getting spectacular numbers during a regular series have gone.

Thing is if one was to compare DW Series 8 and Merlin Series 5 ratings episode by episode, DW currently has a 5-0 win with consolidated figures, because that's where the show currently makes the vast improvement, especially this series, which currently has the highest timeshift average to date for DW.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Xfactor will be around for a long time yet regardless of the viewing figures. ITV seem to have nothing to show in its place.

Same with the BBC and Strictly, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

17.30 Celebrity Chase
    18.30 Jekyll and Hyde
    20.00 The X Factor

Isn't Harry Hill working on something new for BBC1? That may very well preclude a TV Burp return. I think its interesting that ITV never seemed to play with the idea of finding a new TV Burp host though. Keith Lemon's TV Burp coming 2015?

It is kind of difficult to work out where ITV will schedule something like Jekyll & Hyde or Beowulf. They've apparently commissioned them as family dramas in the same kind of area as the BBC's Saturday night offerings but would they put them in the same slots? They don't have the same support the BBC does in that slot and their previous experiments with family Saturday night drama haven't exactly gone well for them. But where else can they put them? During the week just feels a bit wrong although pre-watershed drama during the week would certainly be welcome as far as I'm concerned. I suppose they could try Sunday night...
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    XF Saturday Night Overnight Ratings so far this series (excl +1):

Week 1 - 9.03m [8.78m] (+3pct)
    Week 2 - 8.43m [7.94m] (+6pct)
    Week 3 - 8.42m [8.65m] (-3pct)
    Week 4 - 8.36m [8.46m] (-1pct)
    Week 5 - 7.34m [7.60m] (-4pct)

The trend says it all. In brackets are what it got for the same episode last year and how this year's episodes compare. XF has lost viewers every week so far on Saturday nights this series.

XF was down 1million week on week, excluding +1. This is hard concrete evidence of how much damage an SCD clash can do to the show. A 10min clash normally resulted in XF dropping 0.5m in previous years but 30mins resulted in a 1m drop!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Isn't Harry Hill working on something new for BBC1? That may very well preclude a TV Burp return. I think its interesting that ITV never seemed to play with the idea of finding a new TV Burp host though. Keith Lemon's TV Burp coming 2015?

It is kind of difficult to work out where ITV will schedule something like Jekyll & Hyde or Beowulf. They've apparently commissioned them as family dramas in the same kind of area as the BBC's Saturday night offerings but would they put them in the same slots? They don't have the same support the BBC does in that slot and their previous experiments with family Saturday night drama haven't exactly gone well for them. But where else can they put them? During the week just feels a bit wrong although pre-watershed drama during the week would certainly be welcome as far as I'm concerned. I suppose they could try Sunday night...

I may be totally wrong but whilst I think Jekyll and Hyde might work, I have reservations about Beowulf. Tuesdays at 8 for Jekyll and Hyde could be a good slot for it though. I'd certainly watch it and it could appeal to the male viewer who might otherwise have watched football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XF was down 1million week on week, excluding +1. This is hard concrete evidence of how much damage an SCD clash can do to the show. A 10min clash normally resulted in XF dropping 0.5m in previous years but 30mins resulted in a 1m drop!
    Just FYI I'm not sure you get to have this both ways. I don't think you can make the 'X Factor is bleeding viewers week-on-week' argument and simultaneously claim 'Strictly cost X Factor 1 million viewers'

I also suspect there may be some weight to historical comparisons here. Isn't the boot camp/judges houses stage usually the weakest rated part of the series anyway?
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

17.30 Celebrity Chase
    18.30 Jekyll and Hyde
    20.00 The X Factor

I don't know how they're going to dramatise this, but for a story about someone who turns into a murderous villain, it would need to be toned down considerably for a 6.30 start.

It could be re-imagined, but it has been done already with Jekyll , which I thought was a great adaptation, but post watershed.

Sorry to interrupt the SCD/XF love in.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    XF Saturday Night Overnight Ratings so far this series (excl +1):

Week 1 - 9.03m [8.78m] (+3pct)
    Week 2 - 8.43m [7.94m] (+6pct)
    Week 3 - 8.42m [8.65m] (-3pct)
    Week 4 - 8.36m [8.46m] (-1pct)
    Week 5 - 7.34m [7.60m] (-4pct)

The trend says it all. In brackets are what it got for the same episode last year and how this year's episodes compare. XF has lost viewers every week so far on Saturday nights this series.

That's irrelevant though as you aren't including +1. If you use the figures that are relevant and include +1 you get:

9.49m [9.20m] +3%
    8.89m [8.31m] +7%
    8.87m [9.06m] -2%
    8.57m [8.82m] -3%
    7.85m [7.84m] Flat

Average: 8.73m [8.65m] +1%

Also week 3 was up on week 2 in the officials.
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Just FYI I'm not sure you get to have this both ways. I don't think you can make the 'X Factor is bleeding viewers week-on-week' argument and simultaneously claim 'Strictly cost X Factor 1 million viewers'

I also suspect there may be some weight to historical comparisons here. Isn't the boot camp/judges houses stage usually the weakest rated part of the series anyway?

Exactly.

Judges houses is normally fairly good but bootcamp is always the weakest stage yes.
This discussion has been closed.