Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    To be fair EE fans have been saying that all this year and it was generally expected that all the soaps would return to higher figures by now in the Autumn. It hasnt happened and never mind thinking about them recovering I think we should start thinking about how low they might go.

its funny because the majority of shows are down yoy whether its autumn, spring, summer. there is the odd exception like bake off.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think so as well. At work I hardly hear them mentioned now, in the nineties they were a major topic of conversation....
    How much of this is down to content though? Its hard to deny that Haley's death on Coronation Street for example did become a point of national conversation. When they're at their best there's still nothing quite like the soaps on this front.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    On the Monday last year Corrie hit a high of 9.5m and EastEnders 8.4m. I can see both being down over 1.5m YOY.

Those ratings are like a dream for both shows now!
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's inevitable ratings on the big two would fall, everyone has access to at least 20 channels, almost everyone has a DVD player and 85 per cent of people have the internet. I go for a drink and I can guarantee, even when there's no significant sport on, that the alternatives will be BBC News, Sky Sports News and music channels. Also my sister has the full Sky package and she almost never watches BBC One and ITV.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,111
    Forum Member
    It's inevitable ratings on the big two would fall, everyone has access to at least 20 channels, almost everyone has a DVD player and 85 per cent of people have the internet. I go for a drink and I can guarantee, even when there's no significant sport on, that the alternatives will be BBC News, Sky Sports News and music channels. Also my sister has the full Sky package and she almost never watches BBC One and ITV.

:o:D Or I have misunderstood?
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,644
    Forum Member

The BBC need to keep some type of mass public service programming going though otherwise the government will dismantle it, I think that's why something like "EastEnders" is important to BBC one. However in an era of change perhaps the soaps are too become less of a relevant force on television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    :o:D Or I have misunderstood?

Yes she has the lot and I do find people who have Sky watch the traditional channels far less than they used to. Let's say someone is a huge football fan, except for the European games( until next year) and the FA Cup, they are going to spend most of their time watch BT Sport and Sky.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Take EastEnders off Friday and look how low BBC1 is for the night. Not going to happen.
    Exactly. Few things rate the same or more on BBC1 on a Friday other than EastEnders. Apart from the likes of CIN/Comic relief and maybe a few other events.

Problem with EastEnders is it's too far inconsistent at present.
    I made a thread a couple of weeks back about my opinion and the fact why DTC should step down (Not got a link as using mobile)

However EastEnders ratings as low as they are are fairly consistent. Emmerdale goes fairly low and Corrie sees big drops from Monday.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    it will be all to do with the scheduling and promotion. the beeb as a rule are better at scheduling that itv. i think ctmw will be opposite cs and da against ee. 'i think ee will surprise you. it won't top the night but should beat cs. the top shows of the night will be miranda and mrs brown?
    Mrs Brown will top the night but this year i think EastEnders will beat Corrie and of course downton again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Mrs Brown will top the night but this year i think EastEnders will beat Corrie and of course downton again.

"Mrs Browns Boys" had a movie out this year too, there is no way that's not gonna win I don't think. When can I get to the bookies! I made 70 quid on her last year!! Ladbrookes had "EastEnders" ahead of her in 2013!
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    DMN do you have the consolidated rating for Children in Need and last week's Apprentice? Thanks :)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Few things rate the same or more on BBC1 on a Friday other than EastEnders. Apart from the likes of CIN/Comic relief and maybe a few other events.

Problem with EastEnders is it's too far inconsistent at present.
    I made a thread a couple of weeks back about my opinion and the fact why DTC should step down (Not got a link as using mobile)

However EastEnders ratings as low as they are are fairly consistent. Emmerdale goes fairly low and Corrie sees big drops from Monday.

I don't think breaking up The Carters and running the Lucy murder storyline for so long is helping. EastEnders has had 7m on Friday before, not managing it in November is disappointing.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EastEnders will beat Corrie, but only due to Corrie's weakness. I can't see either topping 8m, particularly considering EE couldn't manage it last year, and this year its down YOY again.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    "Mrs Browns Boys" had a movie out this year too, there is no way that's not gonna win I don't think. When can I get to the bookies! I made 70 quid on her last year!! Ladbrookes had "EastEnders" ahead of her in 2013!

Does anyone know if any channel is showing the novie? Ill avoid it if they are, its absolutely krud. I used to like mbb but went off it, once touve seen obe youve seen them all
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Its hard to deny that Haley's death on Coronation Street for example did become a point of national conversation. When they're at their best there's still nothing quite like the soaps on this front.

...except Bake Off. And I'm A Celebrity. And Strictly. And The Apprentice. And Sherlock. And Broadchurch (so far).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if any channel is showing the novie? Ill avoid it if they are, its absolutely krud. I used to like mbb but went off it, once touve seen obe youve seen them all

Yeah not a fan either! Who knows if they will show it!
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member

We'll almost-certainly be waiting until 2015 for Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie to come to TV screens.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Does anyone else share my view that the decline we've seen with the soaps is probably not reversible?

The majority seem to think otherwise. But in this era of countless alternative channels and new content platforms, very difficult to win back lost viewers I think when you are a on 4 or 5 nights a week and innovating as little as our soaps do, revisiting the same tired old storylines over and over again.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to stop the rot. But just an observation.
    I think you're probably right. This could be the new normal.

It will be interesting to see how the channels cope. BBC One came to terms with the new normal for Casualty and Holby City a few years ago, which suggests they will with EastEnders too, but ITV couldn't come to terms with the new normal for The Bill.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    To be fair EE fans have been saying that all this year and it was generally expected that all the soaps would return to higher figures by now in the Autumn. It hasnt happened and never mind thinking about them recovering I think we should start thinking about how low they might go.

For EE, if its still in this lull after the 30th Anniversary week, it will never return to the figures it once had.

Corrie still has the potential to be back up, but they need to act now. Otherwise it will follow the same path as EE by slowly declining over two years to the point of no return. As a result Emmerdale will decline too (since that is quite reliant on the other soaps imo).
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC need to keep some type of mass public service programming going though otherwise the government will dismantle it, I think that's why something like "EastEnders" is important to BBC one. However in an era of change perhaps the soaps are too become less of a relevant force on television.
    This is something politicians and BBC critics don't understand. The BBC has had hits for years and if there is no populist programming then people really will object to paying the licence fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC One's continued success in such a competitive market is interesting, as for decades it always played second fiddle to ITV. However, they have successfully mixed PSB with decent mass appeal shows since 2000 and a schedule that can include Panorama and MBB is good. ITV has never really recovered from a disastrous move downmarket in the noughties and even though they have made some improvements since 2009, much of their programming is cheap and uninspired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    This is something politicians and BBC critics don't understand. The BBC has had hits for years and if there is no populist programming then people really will object to paying the licence fee.

Yep you definately need that "Great British Bake Off" moment or Olympics, "Mrs Browns Boys" in order to remind BBC one viewers that they actually don't mind coughing up for a licence fee they may not feel they want anymore in times of recession. "EastEnders" used to be part of that reminder whenever the renewal was justified, just as itv run clips of "Coronation Street" alongside Ant and Dec and "Downton Abbey" when they want to remind viewers about how long they have been entertaining them, but what you dont want is a perceived populist programme's ratings suddenly being used against the BBC and the cost of the licence fee. It is important its kept to a certain standard.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    ...except Bake Off. And I'm A Celebrity. And Strictly. And The Apprentice. And Sherlock. And Broadchurch (so far).
    None of which have anything quite like the impact soaps do are the 'national conversation'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC One's continued success in such a competitive market is interesting, as for decades it always played second fiddle to ITV. However, they have successfully mixed PSB with decent mass appeal shows since 2000 and a schedule that can include Panorama and MBB is good. ITV has never really recovered from a disastrous move downmarket in the noughties and even though they have made some improvements since 2009, much of their programming is cheap and uninspired.

It has however produced some great stuff in the past twelve months, just at more infrequent and inconsistent levels.

Downton Abbey
    Coronation Street
    Britain's Got Talent
    Cilla
    Grantchester
    Mr Selfridge
    Lewis
    The Widower
    I'm a Celebrity..Get Me Out Of Here
    Birds Of A Feather
    Paul O Grady The Life of Dogs

So its still producing a lot of stuff for its market. Perhaps just not as much
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officials:

The Apprentice (12/11) - 7.80m (28.6%)
    Children in Need 2014 (14/11) - 8.54m (33.4%)
This discussion has been closed.