Options

Talksport Chat (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's commercial radio. They have to take their breaks sometime! And the show's called Matchday Live these days. ;)

This is the usual formula they employ on your typical Saturday - they go around the grounds for team news in the quarter hour up right up until 3pm, then take a break and update any early goals on their return. Unless they go commercial free for the best part of two hours it's inevitable that they are going to be in breaks when some of the afternoon's goals go in, as is the case with Soccer Saturday/Special on Sky Sports News.

Matchday Live's build-up has been excellent this afternoon. I particularly liked the montage of gaffs and funny bits from the show from over the course of the season. Interestingly it seems as if Sam Matterface is taking the reigns from the Etihad for around the grounds rather than Adrian Durham at White Hart Lane. Should be a great day of football. :)

Everyone knows you stand up for the station come hail, rain and shine Difference but even you must accept that the number of commercials played on talkSPORT is now bordering on the ridiculous. :rolleyes: It totally breaks up the flow of a show and ruins it, yes they have to play them, yes that's how they make their money but what they are doing these days is taking the pi$$ out of the listener running them every few minutes throughout the day and night, it seems to me it's not just low on Dee's priority list it isn't even on the list when it comes to what the listener wants to hear. LBC play far far less commercials and seem to be doing alright so it shows it's just greed what's going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    I agree with Diff regarding Sam's celebrations, it was genuine and no different to how fans at the game reacted and exactly how any armchair fan would react to the unbelievable finale to an excellent game.

I've just heard part of the commentary when City scored the last goal and found it very funny, I don't think the commentator was meaning it to be funny but it was like a sketch from some comedy show taking the mickey out of commentators. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The commentating is terrible on TalkSport , Stan Collymore is just a big mouth and Sam Matterface is just awful. 5Live commentary is so much better , always has been and always will be.

Have to agree with you Scott I too prefer BBC Radio 5 or BBC local radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    Sony Gold for Keys and Gray. I was amused to hear it greeted by 'muted applause' by a friend in the building. Some people must be bitter.

Certain presenters didn't want Keys & Gray joining the station from the off and they still don't like them now so this award won't exactly have warmed them to them will it, personally I'm glad they won something because I enjoy their show even if at times it is a bit matey matey with the guests.
  • Options
    old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    It stopped being amusing Brazil not turning up about five years back and I think the guy needs help, he knows he can't be trusted anywhere near booze because he pre-books days off well before the event he's attending. Naturally deficient of brains Irani still believes we all find it hilarious when in fact I would guess most people are bored to death with it, being a personality is not someone who can drink you under the table.

That is the sad thing about it Billy the last thing l want to read is that Brazill is found dead in his London apartment but without being dramatic having seen him close up 3 times now in the last couple of years in a drunken state l can't see him lasting long If he carries on like he is.Not helped by what seems to encouraged by that idiot Moz going by the trailers for the breakfast show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old oak wrote: »
    Brazill v Danny Baker miss match of the decade just highlights what a sham the sonys are.Chris Evans managed to turn up for his show this morning same can't be said for Brazill what an embarrassment it used to be amusing 6 years ago him going on the lash but it's so boring.There are far more deserving presenters at TS than this excuse for a radio celebrity and l wouldn't mind betting the likes of Kelly ,Hawkesbee Keys and Gray ect look at him as a sad joke.

The Sony Radio Awards are nothing of any real importance all it is is a backslapping night out for people not good enough to get themselves on television or people that have been sacked from TV in the past.
  • Options
    m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BrumBall wrote: »
    H&J just mentioned Mick McCarthy's odds have come in dramatically!

God help us if that's the case. I can feel that cloud coming back thicker and blacker than it was before.

When I answered your last post BB I edited and removed a comment about Mick McCarthy and Avram Grant because I didn't think even our board could stoop as low as either of them two but it looks like they can.:(:mad:

Honestly, on a scale of one to ten how much would Blues fans be laughing if either of those two or Steve Bruce ended up here? As Lerner & co are taking no notice of Villa fans maybe he should consult you lot and do the exact opposite.

If he's gonna pick from those chumps, I'd sooner have Bradley and at least spend part of the season less than furious. He might be better than expected and at least we're not going to be on a downer for yet another season:mad:
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LBC play far far less commercials and seem to be doing alright so it shows it's just greed what's going on.

LBC made a loss of £900,000 last year*, talkSPORT made a profit of just under £7 million.

*year ended 31 March 2011 - source: Companies House
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m4rk1 wrote: »
    God help us if that's the case. I can feel that cloud coming back thicker and blacker than it was before.

When I answered your last post BB I edited and removed a comment about Mick McCarthy and Avram Grant because I didn't think even our board could stoop as low as either of them two but it looks like they can.:(:mad:

Honestly, on a scale of one to ten how much would Blues fans be laughing if either of those two or Steve Bruce ended up here? As Lerner & co are taking no notice of Villa fans maybe he should consult you lot and do the exact opposite.

If he's gonna pick from those chumps, I'd sooner have Bradley and at least spend part of the season less than furious. He might be better than expected and at least we're not going to be on a downer for yet another season:mad:

It completely amazes me how these team managers (I will always call them that and not coaches) keep being offered the top jobs time after time after failing miserably at their last clubs. :confused: Most of these people and I don't really have to name them do I?, get a job, get the sack, do a few slots on Sky Sports News and then land another top job, what is that all about?, surely there's fresh blood out there somewhere.
    Anyway I think they sack managers far too quickly these days in years gone by a manager kept his job unless he was found fiddling the books or caught in bed with the chairman's wife or had relegated his team, maybe they should look more closely at the overpaid so-called stars who take to the pitch instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    LBC made a loss of £900,000 last year*, talkSPORT made a profit of just under £7 million.

*year ended 31 March 2011 - source: Companies House

£7 million huh? .. so they could relax the blitzkrieg if they wanted then.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £7 million huh? .. so they could relax the blitzkrieg if they wanted then.

Not really, it's a PLC. They are required to maximise profits available to shareholders by law.

If they have too many commercials people will switch off but they clearly think they have the balance right to maximise revenue, we'll see when the RAJARs are out on Thursday. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Not really, it's a PLC. They are required to maximise profits available to shareholders by law.

If they have too many commercials people will switch off but they clearly think they have the balance right to maximise revenue, we'll see when the RAJARs are out on Thursday. ;)

But that's just the problem we won't see when the RAJARS come out will we, that system is so flawed they wouldn't even use it in Nigeria.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It completely amazes me how these team managers (I will always call them that and not coaches) keep being offered the top jobs time after time after failing miserably at their last clubs. :confused: Most of these people and I don't really have to name them do I?, get a job, get the sack, do a few slots on Sky Sports News and then land another top job, what is that all about?, surely there's fresh blood out there somewhere.
    Anyway I think they sack managers far too quickly these days in years gone by a manager kept his job unless he was found fiddling the books or caught in bed with the chairman's wife or had relegated his team, maybe they should look more closely at the overpaid so-called stars who take to the pitch instead.

Billy your completely right mate. Everytime there's a managers position available it's the same old names put forward without fail. It seems to be something more prevalent in the top flight than other leagues who are willing to take a bit of a gamble on a more unknown quantity.

At some point someone must have given the Lambert's, Pulis' and Holloways a shout to find out if they were any good or not. It looks like that job is down to the lower league teams.

I'm still hearing the same old names Bruce, Allardyce, McCarthy, Curbishley, McClaren. All they ever do is tread water then the football becomes predictable then they are sacked or hounded out by the paying fans.

I've got a really bad feeling this is going to go tits up yet again.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    That is the sad thing about it Billy the last thing l want to read is that Brazill is found dead in his London apartment but without being dramatic having seen him close up 3 times now in the last couple of years in a drunken state l can't see him lasting long If he carries on like he is.Not helped by what seems to encouraged by that idiot Moz going by the trailers for the breakfast show.
    ....I think we can safely say it wont be in a kit bag as theres no way you will get the zips around that head.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    m4rk1 wrote: »
    Billy your completely right mate. Everytime there's a managers position available it's the same old names put forward without fail. It seems to be something more prevalent in the top flight than other leagues who are willing to take a bit of a gamble on a more unknown quantity.

At some point someone must have given the Lambert's, Pulis' and Holloways a shout to find out if they were any good or not. It looks like that job is down to the lower league teams.

I'm still hearing the same old names Bruce, Allardyce, McCarthy, Curbishley, McClaren. All they ever do is tread water then the football becomes predictable then they are sacked or hounded out by the paying fans.

I've got a really bad feeling this is going to go tits up yet again.
    Thats right, 3 months ago nobody seemed interested in giving Di-Matteo a chance, I bet he's red hot now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....I think we can safely say it wont be in a kit bag as theres no way you will get the zips around that head.

:D:D
    Cracking reply that Jack!
  • Options
    VideostarVideostar Posts: 14,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard Frank Warren on TS...god, what a conman he truly is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats right, 3 months ago nobody seemed interested in giving Di-Matteo a chance, I bet he's red hot now.

He didn't do to bad at West Brom to start with either but there's a slight difference in class between what he had to deal with there and Chelsea. Good luck to him and whatever team picks him I say.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to laugh at Durham tweeting last night saying "you have to question the selection committee when my sporting life failed to get an award" Didn't complain when that same committee voted TS station of the year.

What's wrong with him holding and expressing that opinion though? Regardless of Sony Awards won and lost in the past; if you set this particular award aside, take My Sporting Life on its own merits and compare it with the other entrants I think you'd find that a lot of people would wholeheartedly agree with Adrian on this one.

For those interested; here's the tweet in question:
    When an amazing show like My Sporting Life with the brilliant Danny Kelly doesn't win, genuine radio lovers lose faith in the judges 2/2

I can't disagree with a word of that and it's nice to see Adrian's fellow radio professionals Bob Ballard and Mike White (the latter being the sports presenter on BBC Radio Humberside) sharing his view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows you stand up for the station come hail, rain and shine Difference but even you must accept that the number of commercials played on talkSPORT is now bordering on the ridiculous. :rolleyes: It totally breaks up the flow of a show and ruins it, yes they have to play them, yes that's how they make their money but what they are doing these days is taking the pi$$ out of the listener running them every few minutes throughout the day and night, it seems to me it's not just low on Dee's priority list it isn't even on the list when it comes to what the listener wants to hear. LBC play far far less commercials and seem to be doing alright so it shows it's just greed what's going on.

This will surprise you Billy ;) - but I have absolutely no problem with the frequency of the advertisements on talkSPORT. It's one of those things I don't have strong feelings about either way. I guess this is down to a combination of reasons: that a) ads have never really bothered me; I put up with them and the odd one can entertain or amuse me; b) I have gotten used to them as a long time listener and c) I'm accustomed to the frequency and position of them within the hour.

talkSPORT usually have four commercial breaks per hour; one every quarter of an hour typically around the quarter hour with the final one coming just before the hourly news. You've said you can turn on and you can bet you'll arrive during an ad break - I'm that much of a talkSPORT listener that upon turning on, by the looking at the clock I have a fair idea whether they'll be in a break or not (just checked at 10.24pm and they were in-show as I expected). This is no different to the general pattern in British television where media analysts will talk about there being three "internal breaks" within an hour programme with another one coming at the end of it.

I don't listen to much commercial radio outside of talkSPORT other than the local sports coverage on the Gold stations in the Midlands. In comparison, they have just the one internal commercial break (usually around the half past mark) during their Monday and Friday night football phone-ins, as well as another at the end of the show before joining the network news. These shows both last an hour between 6-7pm. I don't listen to either station much outside of the former's football coverage, so how do Absolute Radio and Classic FM compare to talkSPORT?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with him holding and expressing that opinion though? Regardless of Sony Awards won and lost in the past; if you set this particular award aside, take My Sporting Life on its own merits and compare it with the other entrants I think you'd find that a lot of people would wholeheartedly agree

who are these people you are talking about ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who are these people you are talking about ?

Fair cop, that was a generalisation on my part that I didn't back up. I know it's hardly an Ipsos MORI poll but a fair number of people on here and in reply to Adrian on Twitter have said they also can't understand why the judges have overlooked My Sporting Life, so it's not just him, me and the people I quoted who feel this way.

I suppose if we did a more scientific poll we may come to the conclusion that there are more people out there who feel Kicking Off is more worthy of a radio award than My Sporting Life - nah, I'm not buying that either. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair cop, that was a generalisation on my part that I didn't back up. I know it's hardly an Ipsos MORI poll but a fair number of people on here and in reply to Adrian on Twitter have said they also can't understand why the judges have overlooked My Sporting Life, so it's not just him, me and the people I quoted who feel this way.

I suppose if we did a more scientific poll we may come to the conclusion that there are more people out there who feel Kicking Off is more worthy of a radio award than My Sporting Life - nah, I'm not buying that either. ;)

Fair play,but unlike you l take the RAJARS with a bucket full of salt where you and others are convinced by them.When you look at on here and Adrian's tweets for support what are we looking at 100 or so when we are led to believe some 3 million people listen.I do agree with you though my sporting life is a quality show and glad its exposed the credibility of the sonys.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's an awful programme, why anyone employs a no mark player such as Perry Groves as a pundit I'll never know, and they'd be best served doing commentary of rugby league/union or lower league football in that slot rather than another show talking about football. Worse than anything talkSPORT produces by miles.
  • Options
    TokyoTokyo Posts: 8,544
    Forum Member
    This will surprise you Billy ;) - but I have absolutely no problem with the frequency of the advertisements on talkSPORT. It's one of those things I don't have strong feelings about either way. I guess this is down to a combination of reasons: that a) ads have never really bothered me; I put up with them and the odd one can entertain or amuse me; b) I have gotten used to them as a long time listener and c) I'm accustomed to the frequency and position of them within the hour.

Your spelling suggests you have lived in America so no doubt you would have HAD TO have got used to the ads which bother the sh.t out of the rest of us.

The long breaks in play in US sports obviously don't spoil your enjoyment of them either.
This discussion has been closed.