Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Just seen that Wild at heart got 11million viewers for its first ever episode. Wow, i didnt know it had so many viewers. Why did so many people watch the first episode, was it the most plugged show for many months beforehand with a big marketing campaign? I dont understand, no other brand new drama [besides Inspector Morse spin offs] used to get remotely close to 11million in 2006.

It wasn't plugged any more than any other drama launch. It had a couple of weeks of trailers but that was it really. It had a Corrie lead-in, rubbish competition and was part of a big night for ITV (the first ever episode of Lewis was on the same night) but there was no major marketing campaign. For whatever reason it just broke out.

To be fair, this year Call The Midwife launched at 9.8m, and that was with strong 7/8m competition, and the marketing campaign wasn't that big for that. It can happen. Last year Scott & Bailey launched at 9.4m without a massive marketing campaign (although it did have a BGT lead-in). Sometimes things just break out.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Just seen that Wild at heart got 11million viewers for its first ever episode. Wow, i didnt know it had so many viewers. Why did so many people watch the first episode, was it the most plugged show for many months beforehand with a big marketing campaign? I dont understand, no other brand new drama [besides Inspector Morse spin offs] used to get remotely close to 11million in 2006.

ITV's schedule for Sunday 29th January 2006, the night of the very first WAH:

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Corrie
    8.00 Wild At Heart
    9.00 Lewis (Very first episode)

BBC1's opponent at 8pm was the documentary Child Of Our Time

Also WAH star Stephen Tomkinson previously starred in Ballykissangel which launched IIRC with 14m back in 1996 so he had a track record in this sort of thing.
    At my gran's...

I now realise I was wrong to call it African Heartbeat.

It's African Emmerdale...

Clearly intended for New Years Day, they obviously moved it back to today for some reason!

Presumably ITV planned to put it on at 8pm but had to revise their plans when BBC1 stuck an hour long Eastenders on at that time.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Presumably ITV planned to put it on at 8pm but had to revise their plans when BBC1 stuck an hour long Eastenders on at that time.

Wild At Heart was down for tonight even in the very first provisional schedules that were mainly filled with TBAs so it was clearly always planned for tonight. It was down for tonight before Ripper Street was scheduled, and before the New Year's Day schedules were announced fully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Not much on ITV1 timeshifts by a million these days (well, not the live programming anyway).

More and more dramas on both BBC1 and ITV1 are timeshifting by over 1m these days. Even flop drama Hunted was adding over 1m in timeshift.

Also Arrow on Sky1 and Homeland on C4 have been timeshifting very close to 1m recently.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At my gran's...

I now realise I was wrong to call it African Heartbeat.

It's African Emmerdale...

Clearly intended for New Years Day, they obviously moved it back to today for some reason!

Do you normally go online when at your grandmother's? I wonder what she makes of her internet bill. :p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK TV Ratings‏ @TVRatingsUK

Top comedy of 2012: Mrs Brown 11.07m*; Miranda 10.43m*; Royle Family 9.21m*; Outnumbered 9.03m*; Ab Fab 7.97m. (*Not final - as of 28/12).
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's schedule for Sunday 29th January 2006, the night of the very first WAH:

7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Corrie
    8.00 Wild At Heart
    9.00 Lewis (Very first episode)

BBC1's opponent at 8pm was the documentary Child Of Our Time

Also WAH star Stephen Tomkinson previously starred in Ballykissangel which launched IIRC with 14m back in 1996 so he had a track record in this sort of thing.

Two new dramas back to back - which is a rarity nowadays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Wild At Heart was down for tonight even in the very first provisional schedules that were mainly filled with TBAs so it was clearly always planned for tonight. It was down for tonight before Ripper Street was scheduled, and before the New Year's Day schedules were announced fully.

I stand corrected.:D;)

They've put it on on a Sunday - where it's been scheduled since the day it was born.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,641
    Forum Member
    Why axe wild at heart then? Surely it could have found a home on Saturdays in january? Never watched it I have to say but why would they throw way a hit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Two new dramas back to back - which is a rarity nowadays.

Memories of 1991 when ITV launched 2 brand new dramas on the same Sunday in April - The Darling Buds Of May and Prime Suspect. You may have heard of them. I believe they were quite popular in their time.

:D
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then if it snows neither channel is in a position to take advantage. Except In It To Win It is capable of getting 6 or 7m viewers when the competition's not up to much and it could pull Casualty along with it.

And maybe Splash will prove to be a breakout hit. Might just have enough novelty value to surprise.

Oh it has novelty alright. But not enough to last 5/6 weeks.
    F1Ken wrote: »
    As for Saturday nights I like the sound of Britain's Brightest and remember all it has got to do is to outperform the awful Magicians from last year. I think it will. For those of you crying about the loss of Total Wipeout. Give me a break.

The show became stale after the first episode because you had seen it and it's basically the same again and again. At least the prank show is a little bit different. If it can pull in 4m each week it's done it's job. Britain's Brightest should be in the 5m 20% audience zone. And that's all I think the BBC want.

Splash could be a disaster but I think it will be a hit. Still I think I am going to give Clare Balding a go on Saturday night! :D Some how I don't think that's going to work. :eek:

Ken
    C14E wrote: »
    I don't think it's much to do with complacency. The whole industry is desperate to find the next Got Talent or X Factor. I think it just shows how rare those big hits are. ITV have tried (as have the BBC) to find a new light ent hit for years. And it's not just in the UK - the same formats tend to be hits around the world. So if there was a big hit in Germany or wherever, ITV would be bringing it here as the BBC did with The Voice. Unfortunately the big entertainment hits in Germany are Wetten Das? (You Bet?), Das Supertalent (Got Talent) and I think their local Pop Idol and The Voice adaptations are near the top of the pile as well. ITV are adapting My Man Can, a hit German gameshow. But generally everyone is in the same boat as ITV when it comes to those massive entertainment formats.

Before I make the point I am going to make, I should say that I watch a lot of international television, and watch the ratings' patterns in a few countries, ergo, I do have a strong understanding of the trends that shows set.

In terms of Splash!, diving shows do have a certain novelty. For the last few years, I have watched the original diving format (TV Total Turmspringen) from Germany. It started off very well, but over the last few years has dropped in ratings. The show lasts around 3 hours, but is shown as an event, one night a year. It's been going since 2004. This version is perfect, as they don't drag it out for weeks, and the novelty of the idea is kept without burning it out. This version (Turmspringen) has been picked up by Fox for the US market, whilst it has also been bought in China, Sweden, Norway and Canada. Sterren Springen (the Dutch version ITV has picked) has been bought in Australia, US, Britain and France.

Britain's Brightest is based on 'Der Klugste Deutsche' which has been shown on Das Erste in Germany since October 2011. The show has done very well in the ratings, and despite some saying it is a quiz show it isn't. It's a gameshow! There a number of rounds, featuring different tasks that the contestants have to work out (dance routines to name one example on the British version). The original looks very impressive, but I'm not sure about the Beeb's remake. It is a good show, and people should give it a go.

The International TV market has produced some great hits that simply haven't been given a chance or haven't been brought to the UK;
    • Schlag den Raab (Germany) was brought to the UK by ITV (Beat the Star). Show was binned after just 2 seasons, but is one of the biggest entertainment shows in Germany. Picked up in at least 15 countries.
    • El Hormiguero (Spain) is a humourous science-entertainment show, popular amongst young audiences. Started in 2006, and regularly attracts big name international stars (Charlize Theron, Tom Cruise, Hugh Jackman). Been picked up in 4 countries.
    • Benidorm Bastards (Belgium) is a hidden camera show where old people (actors) play pranks on members of the public. Sold to at least 7 countries (known as Off Their Rockers in the US).

I think that there is a lot of formats abroad that could be brought over here, but their is definitely a shortfall of entertainment hits coming from the UK in recent years. I do think complacency is a big issue, as there are quite a lot of flawed formats (High Stakes, Born to Shine, Dales Great Getaway, Don't Scare the Hare) that have come out of the UK. No surprise we are being overtaken in the international market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Why axe wild at heart then? Surely it could have found a home on Saturdays in january? Never watched it I have to say but why would they throw way a hit?

Cost?

Annoyance that BBC1 found a drama hit that could match Downton Abbey in the ratings?:D

Not sure WAH would work on a Saturday although a few people on this thread thought Wednesday at 8 would be a good slot for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Finance reasons presumably. It must cost a bit to film in Africa and when it's 'only' pulling in 6m it's cheaper to axe it and commission a few crime dramas instead.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,641
    Forum Member
    Perhaps there is no money for it but with solid ratings I would not have let it go. Apparently New Tricks is not well considered by executives but it still remains because its popular. Wild at Heart should have been moved to Saturday along with Dancing on Ice until ITV grew something new for that Evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Finance reasons presumably. It must cost a bit to film in Africa and when it's 'only' pulling in 6m it's cheaper to axe it and commission a few crime dramas instead.

Although its actual replacement on a Sunday night is Mr Selfridges which, as a period drama, can't come cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Voiceover for Dancing on Ice... "Skating starts, next Sunday, 6:15 on ITV." - meaning that the rebrand will be before next Sunday.

Edit - contrary to that is this: http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post854794#post-854794

Just saw the DOI trailer. Announcer says ITV, graphics say ITV1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps there is no money for it but woth solid ratings I would not have let it go. Apparently New Tricks is not well considered by executives but iy still remains because its popular. Wild at Heart should have been moved to Saturday along with Dancing on Ice until ITV grew something new for that Evening.

I would imagine that New Tricks is very cheap in comparison to Wild at Heart and it rates much better as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although its actual replacement on a Sunday night is Mr Selfridges which, as a period drama, can't come cheap.

I reckon it'll be cheaper than Wild at Heart - they can film it in the United Kingdom, they don't have to worry about animal trainers, nor food and vet care for the animals. They also don't have to accommodate the actors in Africa over the filming period.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Ripper street has got a big social media response at the moment with lots talking about it. But reaction from comments Ive read have been mixed so far. Too many comments to copy and paste over but if you search Ripper street on www.twitter.com/search you can see them.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV only have a finite drama budget and though still doing well, Wild at Heart was decreasing year on year and had undoubtedly had a good run (7 series I think), and probably got to the point where the lead cast had itchy feet. Also it must be relatively expensive to film and I doubt the demos are too desirable.
    jda135 wrote: »
    The International TV market has produced some great hits that simply haven't been given a chance or haven't been brought to the UK;
    • Schlag den Raab (Germany) was brought to the UK by ITV (Beat the Star). Show was binned after just 2 seasons, but is one of the biggest entertainment shows in Germany. Picked up in at least 15 countries.
    • El Hormiguero (Spain) is a humourous science-entertainment show, popular amongst young audiences. Started in 2006, and regularly attracts big name international stars (Charlize Theron, Tom Cruise, Hugh Jackman). Been picked up in 4 countries.
    • Benidorm Bastards (Belgium) is a hidden camera show where old people (actors) play pranks on members of the public. Sold to at least 7 countries (known as Off Their Rockers in the US).
    Absolutely agree Beat the Star was axed too early - it was consistently above 4m in the Sunday 7pm slot in the Spring I think - and not many shows have done that since. It was also a show which allowed ITV to use celebs and the general public - so surely please both the celeb bookers and those tired of celebrities dominating TV, and it would have been the perfect vehicle if still airing for ITV to get some of the stars of 2012 on their network.

The Whole 19 Yards is another show axed too quickly - OK, wasn't as good as Beat the Star but again it rated fairly consistently above 4m (though bombed one week IIRC due to competition from something on BBC1) but surely had done enough to get a second chance. Similarly with Duel - IMO one of the best quiz formats of the last decade but dropped after one series despite ratings rising throughout (though admitedly not from a very high base) and actually once it got to around 3.5m it was on par with what Millionaire was doing at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time I see the trailer for Great Night Out (it's just been on again) I see another quarter of a million off the ratings. It looks so viewer-unfriendly, especially ITV-viewer-unfriendly.

From the writers of Worst Week Of My Life, the Radio Times informs me, "but they've mislaid their deft touch with caricatures and comic mishaps". They seem to be overlooking the fact that the writers of Worst Week are also the writers of The Royal Bodyguard.
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Miranda now #1 on the Iplayer chart!
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Only_You wrote: »
    Miranda now #1 on the Iplayer chart!

God save us all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    God save us all.

Not all. Quite a lot of us like Miranda.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Not all. Quite a lot of us like Miranda.

Clearly.
This discussion has been closed.