Options

Children running around restaurants

Comments

• Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I am right in my point though. Why do parents think their kids would want to eat at a restaurant? Why bother taking them there if they're gonna be bored and cause mayhem. There's plenty of kids places about. If they want to eat fancy the parents can go on their own. A lot of restaurants don't do kids menus anyway, and there's a reason for that...

We quite often take our kids to restaurants, they're pretty well behaved and we always have a nice time out. It's not always good to eat in McDonald's you know?

We have a real dislike for children in this country, it's terrible. So what if there's kids about? Learn to enjoy it rather than complain.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We quite often take our kids to restaurants, they're pretty well behaved and we always have a nice time out. It's not always good to eat in McDonald's you know?

We have a real dislike for children in this country, it's terrible. So what if there's kids about? Learn to enjoy it rather than complain.

Doesn't always have to be McDonalds does it... Just cos your kids are behaved doesn't mean other aren't. I'm not complaining, just sharing my opinion on the matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    And the adults who get p1ssed out of their brains and smash glasses and fight, is that down to poor parenting too?

Your argument is completely illogical. Whatever point you are trying to make, it is getting lost in the process due to a lack of practical logic applied to your suppositions. You are equating sober children being poorly parented to grown adults who are impaired due to being inebriated due to their own lack of restraint. Adults are expected to behave better than children, it's not the job for grandad to clip dad round the ear in a restaurant in most family meal situations. They are not the same thing and if you think they are, I have no idea what your thought process is coming to that conclusion.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Doesn't always have to be McDonalds does it... Just cos your kids are behaved doesn't mean other aren't. I'm not complaining, just sharing my opinion on the matter.

It's very rare that i see badly behaved children in restaurants. I don't really class toddlers walking up to my table as bad behaviour, it is jus children being children. Most people are less tolerant than me.

Kids screaming, fighting etc is bad, but very rare.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kids don't irritate anyone, they're too busy eating, they like their grub and if you stood next to me making a racket, I'd get one of my kids to stab you in the leg with their fork.

... but then when he stabs someone else when he's older you'll scream "Oh, but he's my little angel, he's just misunderstood." Even if you meant that as a joke, that's not very funny and actually is a bit alarming.
  • Options
    JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Are you saying that it's only chavs who let their kids run riot? I can assure you that it isn't the case. Bad parents come from all parts of society.

They do, but it's mostly chavs. I worked in a carvery restaurant once and you could tell the types of families who would just let their children run amok. Sundays were a nightmare. If they weren't running around, they were sitting at the table emptying the salt and pepper pots.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    My brothers and I were, though. Our parents didn't tolerate us running around and shouting during a meal time, not even at home. When one of us started to throw a tantrum during a meal at a restaurant, our parents took us outside until we calmed down.

We can run around and shout as much as we like in a big park, a playground, in our garden, etc. and we did. So yeah, we knew from very young age that meal times were for eating and quiet conversations only. Good manners mattered then, and still do now. My dad scolded me when I was 23 for forgetting to say thank you to a waiter, for goodness sake.

Anyway, I feel the problem isn't with the children. It's with their parents' lack of consideration for the others.

Good post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not read the entire thread... go on fling stuff at me ....

Himself and I have taken our Slavettes out to dinner since I was let out the Maternity. Our girls even as wee tiny people have learned by example ... I do expect certain manners.

I'm a bitch when it comes to manners. I do have a wee bit of give and take but if a child is 7 or 8 and still can't behave I'm taking less and think Mum and Dad have issues.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not read the entire thread... go on fling stuff at me ....

Himself and I have taken our Slavettes out to dinner since I was let out the Maternity. Our girls even as wee tiny people have learned by example ... I do expect certain manners.

I'm a bitch when it comes to manners. I do have a wee bit of give and take but if a child is 7 or 8 and still can't behave I'm taking less and think Mum and Dad have issues.

That's it, good manners and respect for other people begin at home and should be as natural as breathing in my book. I used to be amazed at the number of people who used to comment on my daughter's behaviour and manners (positive comments I may add) as though it was something out of the ordinary :confused: Why should other people have to put up with a misbehaved child just because the parents can't be bothered to bring them up decently, it's beyond me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    That's it, good manners and respect for other people begin at home and should be as natural as breathing in my book. I used to be amazed at the number of people who used to comment on my daughter's behaviour and manners (positive comments I may add) as though it was something out of the ordinary :confused: Why should other people have to put up with a misbehaved child just because the parents can't be bothered to bring them up decently, it's beyond me.

Francie - you said what I wanted to say. My girls are not angels but from being very very young they have KNOWN what behaviour is acceptable. OK so Himself and I may have upset people when we had a babe in arms with us when going out (celebration time) for a meal but I just could NOT tolerate rabid child syndrome. Manners start at home. I'm, a very easy going Mammy but certain things must and are sorted out.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were in a restaurant today, probably mid-range or so.

There was a little boy of around 18 months - 2 yo and he was just walking around with someone - obviously at the age where he didn't want to sit down. All he was doing was walking quietly, nothing else. Also, there were two girls who were 5/6 and they ran past our table twice.

Hand on heart, I can say they didn't bother me at all. Didn't ruin the meal or the experience.

TBH I find certain adults more annoying. For example I was on a train with a bunch of people on the last day of the Comic Con in San Diego in July last year. And there was this guy who didn't shut up. He talked and talked for the 45 minute journey and had the most annoying LOUD voice I had ever heard, you actually couldn't talk to anyone around you as his voice was sooooo domintating. He was talking to two people that he didn't know and he just loved to talk about himself and the things he liked, whenever they started talking he would go yeah, yeah and change the topic back to himself. At the end he said his name and told them to find him on Facebook. He was more annoying that ANY kid I have encountered in my life.
  • Options
    SassernachSassernach Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went out for a meal with family earlier and the family sat behind us had two young children with them, a baby and a toddler of around two or so. They continually let the older child run riot around the restaurant, she wasnt being naughty as such but she was getting under the feet of the staff who were carrying hot food and trays of drinks. She also kept wandering up to other people's tables as they were trying to eat. At no point did her mother try and stop her, she just smiled at her adoringly like she was doing nothing wrong.

I'm not against children being in restaurants at all, far from it. But why do some parents think its acceptable to allow their precious darlings to run riot when not only are other people trying to enjoy a nice meal, but when staff are trying to work? I'm sure these parents would be the first to kick up a fuss if hot food got spilled on the child wouldn't they? So why allow your child to put themselves in potential danger?

I am afraid that restaurants are for families too.
    A two year old will not sit still but surely short of tying her to the chair what could she do.
    You said the child was not naughty and that she simply wandered around. I cannot see any harm at a 2 year old looking at me whilst I eat. A drunken adult falling into me or pushing into the table I would find annoying.
    But in a restaurant adults are capable of seeing a child needs guidance. It would have been better to smile and let it go. Families need to a social life too.
    I think the world is not meant for adults only. Maybe you could select a less family orientated restaurant next time.:)
  • Options
    citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they do.

They don't.

They're frequently an irritant and nusiance because the parents are too arrogant to make a concession that their lives have changed because they have children.

Restaurants are not child friendly environments - they're a place for adults and older children to go and have a meal, conversation and interaction.

The arrogance of some people never ceases to amaze me - do you really think people spend a small fortune on a meal just to be interrupted and hassled by someone elses badly behaved children?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the children are just as entitled to run around as you are to eat your meal in peace.

No they aren't. They are children therefore not paying customers. They have no damned rights other than the right to remain silent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but that is just poor, lazy parenting.

Why are you sorry for pointing out the arrogance of the poster?

You are quite right in what you say. The other poster needs to wind their neck in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the adults who get p1ssed out of their brains and smash glasses and fight, is that down to poor parenting too?

What kind of restaurants do you go to? They sound classy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MCC243 wrote: »
    If Management deem it so then they have just as much right to be there as you.

Equally, we have the right to demand they take action or simply leave part way through the meal without paying.

Luckily, I don't eat in 'child friendly' restaurants very often - i prefer places which don't have screeching little shits and their mindless parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, they even have their supermarket 'experience' ruined by pesky children. We should all sew up our vaginas and let them enjoy their experiences childfree, the grumpy bastards.

NOBODY asked you to inflict the product of your vagina upon them.

You expect strangers to make allowances for your poorly behaved children? What an arrogant person you and your ilk are!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can a child just not behave in public and the parents intervene when they start misbehaving?

Nothing more pleasant than a well mannered, well behaved child though. They are a delight.

I agree. The problem is that even idiots can breed. Evolution still has some work to do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a former landlord / restauranteur, we had several tactics for controlling badly behaved children. The first was not to encourage them. Our attitude was that we were "child tolerant" rather than "child friendly". We had a children's menu, but it didn't have any children's food on it, (fish fingers, baked beans etc) rather smaller portions of adult dishes. It wasn't on display either, guests had to request it.

We also had a 9pm curfew on children.

The only time we a significant number of children would be Sunday lunchtimes and Public Holidays. When we did have children running around we would usher them back to the table, telling their parents it was for their own safety, as we'd hate them to get burned, injured or lost. 99% of the time this worked, although there was the odd occasion where we had to be honest and tell them they were upsetting other guests.

With regard to the OP going out on New Year's Day, knowing what I know I would never visit a restaurant today. It's bound to be full of naughty kids with parents too hungover to care. I'm not saying it's right, but sadly experience has shown me that's the way it is.

As a parent to 3 young children now, there is no way I would tolerate my kids misbehaving in a restaurant. Frankly we'd rather stay home until they are all at an age to understand than have the hassle. We tend to use "family" environments as a coaching ground, showing them what we expect in terms of behaviour in public. If we are going to a more adult / high quality venue, then we get babysitters.

Great post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a pattern emerging here.

Seems like its mainly childless people who dont like their meals ruined by screaming children.

And that is unreasonable because?

What makes you think that its ok to inflict your lifestyle choices upon everyone else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    And I would bet you are one of the poor parents who think it is your childs god given right to irritate everyone around them. You chose to have a child so you should look after it. How would you feel if I stood next to your table making a racket when you were eating and being a general pain in the arse??

Wonder how she'd feel if you took a shit on the floor next to her. Clearly she wouldn't mind as anything goes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kids don't irritate anyone, they're too busy eating, they like their grub and if you stood next to me making a racket, I'd get one of my kids to stab you in the leg with their fork.

You'd encourage your children to use extreme physical violence on a stranger?

My god, you're a horrible human being.

As for your kids not irritating anyone, i bet thats bollocks - i bet you're exactly the kind of ignorant moron with badly behaved brats irritating all and sundry - you have all the traits, that is for sure!
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't abide noisy children running around in restaurants spoiling it for other diners.

Having said that, I've been taking my two to restaurants since they were tiny babies asleep in their buggy in the corner. I think the key is having realistic expectations. I have always taken a bag of things to do, and still do that now. In the early days it contained a variety of little toys they could play with in a high chair, and since they were old enough to hold a pen it has contained books, paper and pens. Nowadays there are usually some lego people and little fairy dolls in there too. I wouldn't expect my children to sit nicely for the entirety of a meal if I didn't provide a means of helping that happen. At a younger age one of us would take them out of the restaurant for a little walk if they started to get a bit restless or made too much noise. Now at the ages of 6 and almost 5 we love as a family going out for a meal and it is a really pleasant experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    Just as I thought....chav.

Yeah, definite lowlife.