Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I don't know what they'll do about that christening that they kept yacking about in S5. Maybe just do it sometime
    between the castle events and the wedding and we don't see it?

Surnames: yes, these two seem quite traditional. They'll all be Ellinghams. I'm having trouble figuring out a lot of what may happen in S6, but I'm willing to put money on the names.

To be honest, I'm not sure LG will become LE.

I'm not wholly sure what being "traditional" means, in the entirety of it. But, LG is a professional, single, self-established woman, and if she is still LG to ME, I don't really think at this point DM would care. I think he might see the bigger picture of making her happy, no matter her last name, so they stay together, but I do not really feel DM would mind if she kept her Glasson last name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I wonder if the the comments by the PA, or cameraman, or whoever it was, were sanctioned from on high to deliberately throw us off the scent as to what is really happening. The non-disclosure agreement that the others have to abide by seem to be very well enforced. So you're right, NewPark, to question how he/she would be allowed to talk about the plot of the show without consequences. That's why I think it may be an intentional ploy to keep us guessing.

And it worked! We are all guessing now about the circumstances of the plot as to whether they really will get married! Even though an onlooker saw them doing the first dance. It's so expensive to shoot a scene over and over, it is hard to fathom that they are doing that just to confuse the fans. It could be a dream sequence. Even though they don't use dream sequences very often, and when they do the scenes are very short.
    dcdmfan: Exactly what I was thinking about - the expense of shooting a scene. However, even in the past when we thought they were fooling us about something they weren't. (well, maybe the "wedding picture" from the first wedding). I have to keep repeating - "reception, reception, she steps on his foot, etc".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    I just found in FB don't even know how I searched DM. Phillip Blackwell says that he just finished two days of filming as an extra and it was grueling. He says he cannot say anything or they won't use him again. But he says that "it's going to be an interesting series once again" and "make sure to watch every episode it's an emotional rollercoaster of a show again"

To be honest, I'm not happy to hear that. I think the only one who really wants it to be an emotional roller coaster--if that ride carries DM and LG--is MC and BP. I'd love some smoother times between them, and having them more team up as an odd, awkward yet loving couple against external problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I wonder if the the comments by the PA, or cameraman, or whoever it was, were sanctioned from on high to deliberately throw us off the scent as to what is really happening. The non-disclosure agreement that the others have to abide by seem to be very well enforced. So you're right, NewPark, to question how he/she would be allowed to talk about the plot of the show without consequences. That's why I think it may be an intentional ploy to keep us guessing.

And it worked! We are all guessing now about the circumstances of the plot as to whether they really will get married! Even though an onlooker saw them doing the first dance. It's so expensive to shoot a scene over and over, it is hard to fathom that they are doing that just to confuse the fans. It could be a dream sequence. Even though they don't use dream sequences very often, and when they do the scenes are very short.

Good points, dcdmfan and NewPark. All I'm sayin' is that I had about three days of joy over the wedding and now I have an upset stomach. Unless the wedding is the finale of the series, the rings in other scenes we see shot soon will give it away - but we'll have to wait. Nuptials interruptus or having the viewers worry about its potential does sound very much like our show. Forget about Martin and Louisa being happy and enjoying (as Mona says) crazed weasel sex right now - can't they let their fans be happy? I want to hear more about any fans observing the new non-wedding with DM storming away. Storming away and attending to a medical emergency would seem to me to look like two different things. :confused::mad::p:o::D::cool::(:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could use Bohemian to describe him being an artsy type, but I didn't see him as an idiot at all. He seemed caring about his mother, normally intelligent, but eccentric (the art thing again).

I guess I have higher standards for "normally intelligent". And, also, "normally well-adjusted".

I mean, "normally intelligent" to me rings a doorbell, asks if there are any hubcaps around, instead of stealing them off a car in the driveway, and not having the capacity to engage in conversation about them to the owner. Normally intelligent and adjusted is not emotionally attached to a mother instead of seeking out one's own life and even having a girlfriend or mates you hang out with. Al is attached to Bert, sure, but he broke away from Bert in the first series, can communicate, have a girlfriend, etc. Michael's main sentences in the episode are along the lines of "I love you. I didn't poison you", to his mother, and also being led so easily by AR to give up his shotgun. Then his blaming DM for his arsenic poisoned mother being taken away, when he'd want to care for his pretty sick mom at home!

Yeah, sorry, not "normally" intelligent to me at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.... He sold his previous flat to cover for Joan. He's been working as a rural NHS GP for the past 5 or so years at a drastic cut in pay. (in case you are not aware of it NHS GP's are technically self employed and rural ones don't make that much) He owns the surgery and that cost more than a $1.98 to buy given the cost of real estate there. He had to buy a car to work in Cornwall and maintain it. He has expensive taste in suits and how many of those has he had to replace? His other assets have probably taken a hit like everyone else and he has probably been dipping into them during his time in PW, too.

It is fairly obvious that the family money has been spent by his parents and I suspect he isn't a trust fund baby, either. Now where exactly does he come up with the kind of cash to purchase a million £ plus flat? Sell all his other assets to buy a flat? Pay a ton for a down payment and a mortgage payment that rivals paying rent? Not very logical or prudent and he is a logical and prudent person. No, the prudent course of action would be to rent until both the situation at Imperial and with Louisa becomes clearer. Then, if all goes well, they can then go shopping for a new home. If not a leased flat will be fine for Martin given the cost of purchasing a flat in an inflated real estate market like London and perhaps purchase one later on when prices fall or a bargain presents itself.

That is why I said he rented the flat. It is prudent and logical given the situation.

Salaried docs in the NHS, given service and experience, and no doubt having your friend head the local PCT, can earn up to 81,158 pounds a year, which is $124, 512. That's not a bad salary, and DM has a simple life without a lot of expenses. But, yes, no doubt less than a surgeon/Head of Vascular Dept made. If he is self-employed, and has a contract with the PCT, I wonder if he might make more. I have no idea about the system but what I find on-line at www.nhscareers.nhs.uk.

I did find out that DM gets 30 vacation days a year (!), which he has never taken, but what a honeymoon that could be! ;-)
    Also, he has to live within 10 miles of town.

I agree he rented the flat in S5, after having sold his own flat to help Joan keep her farm.

Although, we don't know his finances, except to know he came from money, at least back to his grandparents, made a good living as a surgeon, and seems to be fairly set financially to some extent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the Doc storming out of the church has something to do with a medical emergency? Just a thought.

Oh, and I've read "long wedding dress" in several posts, but I've yet to see actual evidence that the dress is long, nor testimony to that fact. Did I miss something? :confused:

At facebook someone asked the person who was actually at the Camelot Castle Hotel for filming of the reception, the person who posted the photos, about the length of LG's wedding dress. She said it's floor length.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Salaried docs in the NHS, given service and experience, and no doubt having your friend head the local PCT, can earn up to 81,158 pounds a year, which is $124, 512. That's not a bad salary, and DM has a simple life without a lot of expenses. But, yes, no doubt less than a surgeon/Head of Vascular Dept made. If he is self-employed, and has a contract with the PCT, I wonder if he might make more. I have no idea about the system but what I find on-line at www.nhscareers.nhs.uk.

I did find out that DM gets 30 vacation days a year (!), which he has never taken, but what a honeymoon that could be! ;-)
    Also, he has to live within 10 miles of town.

I agree he rented the flat in S5, after having sold his own flat to help Joan keep her farm.

Although, we don't know his finances, except to know he came from money, at least back to his grandparents, made a good living as a surgeon, and seems to be fairly set financially to some extent.

If he has a smallish salary as a GP and sold his London flat to help out AJ, that's all the more impressive.

Although his father told him he had no financial "nous," I imagine that someone making a large salary as a surgeon and with no family to spend it on would probably have some investments, and perhaps even a financial advisor. Thus, I don't think he's particularly strapped for funds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen a few more pics on the FB site and I saw one with Penhale dressed in his formals. Would he dress like that if he was just a guest? I'm thinking Best man. I dunno but at the last wedding he was just in his normal uniform. But perhaps the village knows that this time they WILL do it - so they are making a bit more of an effort.
    I also love the flowered arch outside the church, so romantic. :)

I noticed the flowered arch too. So pretty!

I think it makes sense for Penhale to wear a dress uniform to the wedding. In the first one, the non-wedding, he wore a suit and tie, not a uniform at all. Maybe since then he's purchased his dress uniform.

My ex-husband's sister's ex-husband ( :confused: ) was a fireman and for years didn't have a dress uniform. Once he had it, he wore it to funerals and weddings, anything requiring dressy clothes. He looked very handsome in it. It was quite striking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsWindy1 wrote: »
    dcdmfan: Exactly what I was thinking about - the expense of shooting a scene. However, even in the past when we thought they were fooling us about something they weren't. (well, maybe the "wedding picture" from the first wedding). I have to keep repeating - "reception, reception, she steps on his foot, etc".

Mrs Windy and dcdmfan, right, I agree. It makes no sense at all for them to go to the trouble and expense of the reception if the wedding didn't happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I'm not sure LG will become LE.

I'm not wholly sure what being "traditional" means, in the entirety of it. But, LG is a professional, single, self-established woman, and if she is still LG to ME, I don't really think at this point DM would care. I think he might see the bigger picture of making her happy, no matter her last name, so they stay together, but I do not really feel DM would mind if she kept her Glasson last name.

Five bucks. Bet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    So, maybe ...
    We begin S6 with DM and LG at the church, in the midst of their wedding ceremony, when Chippy has a medical emergency and has to be rushed by ambulance to the hospital. DM must go along, leaving LG standing at the altar. In the meantime, the PW-ians (and maybe LG a little) aren't entirely sure whether he will return to say his "I do's", so they continue on to the reception. Regardless, they all know DM will be gone awhile, given the distance to the hospital and the nature of the emergency, so why wait around when they could be partying? Eventually, DM does return to PW by taxi (since he didn't drive his car to the hospital) and he and LG (maybe AR, JH and JP, too) have a quiet ceremony without the entire village present -- they are all too busy enjoying the festivities to notice that the couple has left.
    Maybe??

Sounds good to me:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't seen this new video done by the ladies who do the Rock the Doc podcast, I recommend it. It's very, very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9ugQhDdhg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I don't remember him saying that, NewPark, but it's possible that he did and my memory fails me. It sounds more like something he might have said about what could be coming up in S6.

:confused::confused::confused:

I would be happy with this scenario. Sorry wrong quote above. Scenario with Chippy emergency makes sense if we are buying into the double wedding. Which I'm not

The bumps and falls video is great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would be happy with this scenario. Sorry wrong quote above. Scenario with Chippy emergency makes sense if we are buying into the double wedding. Which I'm not

The bumps and falls video is great

Have we looked into where this tweet or FB posting came from? Could it be just anyone or has it been confirmed this is a member of the crew. I could see a trickster just posting some such rubbish get us riled up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    I want to hear more about any fans observing the new non-wedding with DM storming away. Storming away and attending to a medical emergency would seem to me to look like two different things.

I could well imagine him storming off as long as she follows him and persuades him "gently" that the wedding is the right move. Would me something new - one of them storming off and the other one following him.
    Actually, I might be in the minority, but I do not want to see eight episodes of peace and love. I like the banters between them, as long as they make up afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I'm not happy to hear that. I think the only one who really wants it to be an emotional roller coaster--if that ride carries DM and LG--is MC and BP. I'd love some smoother times between them, and having them more team up as an odd, awkward yet loving couple against external problems.

I'm with you I'd like a nice season with medical issues, doc antics, annoyed doc, bumping head doc, but also loving father and husband which I know he can muster. We've seen the gentle side of him with LG and JH.

C'mon BP!!!!!:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have we looked into where this tweet or FB posting came from? Could it be just anyone or has it been confirmed this is a member of the crew. I could see a trickster just posting some such rubbish get us riled up.

It's on Facebook from a visitor who talked to a crew member. Sounds similar to the onions to me - where the props department have fun at the superfan's expense!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was posted at facebook by the same woman woman who posted the photos of Martin, Penhale, and Bert outside the church. She doesn't seem to doubt that it was a member of the crew she was talking to. If there's a trickster here, it's the crew member.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was posted at facebook by the same woman woman who posted the photos of Martin, Penhale, and Bert outside the church. She doesn't seem to doubt that it was a member of the crew she was talking to. If there's a trickster here, it's the crew member.

Let's get Mazzie B on the case!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "This is what the crew member said: version 1, he storms off out of the church, version 2, they come out married! I think it's more fun not to know until the series is shown!"

Posted on FB.

The post-er is the one who thinks it's more fun not to know until the series is shown, definitely not my sentiment.

Absolutely cannot imagine what would motivate any groom to "storm off out of the church" without going through with the ceremony, short of the bride-to-be refusing to go down the aisle at the last minute or balking at repeating the marriage vows. (or possibly imbibing a little too much "to calm the nerves" and being too tipsy to walk straight). Because usually the bride and groom don't even see each other at the church, before the ceremony.

If it's Louisa that backs out (in this alternate universe) I would lose all sympathy for her or any sense that I would be rooting for them to be together.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I could well imagine him storming off as long as she follows him and persuades him "gently" that the wedding is the right move. Would me something new - one of them storming off and the other one following him.
    Actually, I might be in the minority, but I do not want to see eight episodes of peace and love. I like the banters between them, as long as they make up afterwards.

If they have a lot of bumps and then make up (marry) at the end, I think that will indicate that this is the last series. Running over the same old ground (to quote Adelie's favorite Pink Floyd song...) doesn't seem like a very creative way to keep the story propelling forward.

My hope is that the show will take a different story arc, and take the show in a bit of a new direction. My thought is that this could would enable the show to continue for a 7th series. I think the American distributors would like for the show to continue. I don't mean to say that the American distributors are the be all and end all in determining what happens to the show. But that is where the money is for now and in future broadcasts.

All I do know for sure is that this is a very exciting time to be a Doc Martin fan and I am really looking forward to my trip to Cornwall in late June.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.... He sold his previous flat to cover for Joan. He's been working as a rural NHS GP for the past 5 or so years at a drastic cut in pay. (in case you are not aware of it NHS GP's are technically self employed and rural ones don't make that much) He owns the surgery and that cost more than a $1.98 to buy given the cost of real estate there. He had to buy a car to work in Cornwall and maintain it. He has expensive taste in suits and how many of those has he had to replace? His other assets have probably taken a hit like everyone else and he has probably been dipping into them during his time in PW, too.

It is fairly obvious that the family money has been spent by his parents and I suspect he isn't a trust fund baby, either. Now where exactly does he come up with the kind of cash to purchase a million £ plus flat? Sell all his other assets to buy a flat? Pay a ton for a down payment and a mortgage payment that rivals paying rent? Not very logical or prudent and he is a logical and prudent person. No, the prudent course of action would be to rent until both the situation at Imperial and with Louisa becomes clearer. Then, if all goes well, they can then go shopping for a new home. If not a leased flat will be fine for Martin given the cost of purchasing a flat in an inflated real estate market like London and perhaps purchase one later on when prices fall or a bargain presents itself.

That is why I said he rented the flat. It is prudent and logical given the situation.

It's all hypothetical so it's just a guess and it doesn't matter.
    It seems sort of distasteful discussing DMs wealth but...
    Vascular surgeons back in 2010 earnt 220,000 GBP. DMs been working for 20 years on a top salary, never taken a holiday, no family, no kids. I'd be surprised if he didnt have a few investment properties and some shares.

If he sold anything to get chris the 300,000GBP he wanted it might have been an investment property. Personally I think "I'll sell the flat" might have been a first thought by DM in response to chris's badgering when in reality all he needed to do was sell some shares. Capital gain is a wonderful thing.

GPs earn 80,000-100,000 GBP (see nhs site) pretty good for someone who spends nothing. DM didn't have to buy the surgery I am pretty sure (from previous research h regarding the hospital/surgery set up in UK) that it goes with the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five bucks. Bet?

Oh no!! It's catching. :eek: Gamblers anonymous for you, quick smart. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    . Capital gain is a wonderful thing.

Unless you've just finished filing your U.S. income taxes.
This discussion has been closed.