Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    There is speculation and discussion about this every couple of months but nobody ever proffers an opinion as to why they think LBC are remiss.

That's just not true, and reading this had made me angry. There's been various comments on here on this topic, but two things happen: firstly, people get told off or reported for making posts that are 'too long' (well, this is a complicated subject) and secondly, posts on the topic are simply ignored. I think this speaks volumes.
    Well..... you could go on and on, couldn't you?
    There are lots of eighteen-year-olds, lots of people with only one leg, lots of people who are blind, lots of people over 70.
    It doesn't matter.

It matters when you're talking about groups of people who have traditionally suffered from discrimination. It is worthy of note that I can't think of any disabled radio presenter on any station, for example. And I think it is worthy of note that LBC, in a massively diverse city, seems to continue to employ the same kind of person.

Presenting a phone-in is clearly not some genetic talent (!) that only white people have, so you would naturally expect there to be a more diverse workforce in London. The fact that there isn't at the moment could be a co-incidence, but the fact that there hasn't been for a loooong time perhaps points to LBC being remiss.
    Perhaps middle-aged white men are best at being default presenters, who can act as a neutral catalyst for listeners' opinions.

And anyone who believed that would perhaps be a racist fool, as it would clearly be utter bullcrap.

Edt: The concept of the white middle-aged male as the paradigm, the norm, the yardstick against which everything else is measured is at the very heart of many -isms.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cristo covered an interesting discussion topic last night, based on an experience of Fern Britton, he discussed supernatural events that brought about a profound change in someone's life. He took a fascinating call from a lorry driver who was not a Christian but was encouraged to read the Bible and the word "beloved" jumped out at himand it had such an impact on him that he became a Christian and it changed his life.

I often think Cristo's shows can be hit and miss but on this occasion he handled to topic really well, not dwelling on the rights and wrongs of religion but on the events that brought about the changes in people's lives. It was a really interesting discussion.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I always thought the subjects chosen for discussion were more of a collaborative process between the presenter and the production team. I've heard different presenters state that they have personally seen a story in the paper and wanted to discuss it with listeners or they have discussed something based on a experience that actually happened to them. I always got the impression the the presenter had a big role in the selection of the topics they discuss on their show.

I agree - I think we get repetition because they all want to give their own take on current news stories - but I've lost count of the posters on here who seem to think that presenters are handed a daily agenda by management and not allowed to deviate from it.
  • Options
    jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Cristo covered an interesting discussion topic last night, based on an experience of Fern Britton, he discussed supernatural events that brought about a profound change in someone's life. He took a fascinating call from a lorry driver who was not a Christian but was encouraged to read the Bible and the word "beloved" jumped out at himand it had such an impact on him that he became a Christian and it changed his life.

I often think Cristo's shows can be hit and miss but on this occasion he handled to topic really well, not dwelling on the rights and wrongs of religion but on the events that brought about the changes in people's lives. It was a really interesting discussion.

This is how radio use to be at nights, presenters like Peter Deeley could conjure up all sorts of interesting off beat and spooky subjects for the witching hours - not flaming politics and municipal moans 24/7
    It seems to me that LBC presenters would be lost now without their cache of newspapers in front of them.
  • Options
    Flying4XFlying4X Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    As a podcaster, I have to say I enjoy Cristo's show the most.

Even if he does feature articles in the press, he manages to inject some humour and light into the subject.

I love his honesty about himself and his issues which makes easier for his callers to share their stories. I like it when he goes off on a tangent and find him a breath of fresh air on an otherwise "heavy" station. Clive Bull is a warmer listen too.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see what Steve means about the internet pic's circulating of Kirk Norcross. Naughty boy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I see what Steve means about the internet pic's circulating of Kirk Norcross. Naughty boy!

Who he? :confused:
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who he? :confused:

Someone who used to be in 'The Only Way Is Essex'. I've never watched the programme beyond around five minutes as I found it puerile and fake.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Someone who used to be in 'The Only Way Is Essex'. I've never watched the programme beyond around five minutes as I found it puerile and fake.

I thought SA didn't like these sorts of programmes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I thought SA didn't like these sorts of programmes?

He has to talk about them because the tabloid gossip columns from which he recycles his show feature little else! ;)
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member

I don't watch it either but the photo is *ahem* worth a look. There's a thread in the Showbiz section. Adults only!
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,227
    Forum Member
    mfr wrote: »
    Does anyone here used the LBC full episode podcast service? I'm finding really useful - but incredibly slow to download. My Guardian podcast just downloaded in about a minute; a similarly sized LBC podcast is scheduled to take 13 minutes!

It makes it quite a bit less useful if I have to wait 15 minutes to leave the house!

Happens to me, you really don't want to be faffing about for ages waiting for downloads when you need to head out to work:mad:

They used to be really quick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flying4X wrote: »
    As a podcaster, I have to say I enjoy Cristo's show the most.

Even if he does feature articles in the press, he manages to inject some humour and light into the subject.

I love his honesty about himself and his issues which makes easier for his callers to share their stories. I like it when he goes off on a tangent and find him a breath of fresh air on an otherwise "heavy" station. Clive Bull is a warmer listen too.

Christo is ok, but has a few chips on his shoulder about a few subjects, relating to his background maybe.

Nick Abbott is the best at doing that kind of show that brings out the callers without any set agenda. He often likes going off on a tangent, reminds me of the sort of stuff Clive used to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He has to talk about them because the tabloid gossip columns from which he recycles his show feature little else! ;)

I notice he's really digging into Peter Andre at the moment, it's almost abuse. I think he does it as he knows he can get away with it. I listen in sometimes if i'm up early.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of presentation and broadcasting style, what difference does it make?

I guarantee most Asian/Blacks of London want LBC to employ a few Asian/Black presenters.I do,and iwant them to be of a high standard and not of the NF slant if possible.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    • Best speech programme
    • Best news and current affairs programme
    • Speech radio broadcaster of the year
    • Best Entertainment Programme (not for comedy programmes)
    • Gold Award (lifetime achivement)
    • Special Award (progressing UK radio)

In fact he would probably sweep the board :D

If i give my catagory i will get banned for life:yawn:
  • Options
    Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eek! What happened to the sports this afternoon? When did that happen that Petrie is on till 4pm?
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inge Jones wrote: »
    Eek! What happened to the sports this afternoon? When did that happen that Petrie is on till 4pm?

Summer sport schedules because there are hardly any more 3 pm football kick offs until the start of next season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guarantee most Asian/Blacks of London want LBC to employ a few Asian/Black presenters.I do,and iwant them to be of a high standard and not of the NF slant if possible.:p

Have you contacted them about it? There's no point in keeping on moaning about it on here. There's nothing any of us can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure they didn't do this last summer did they? Not that I am complaining cos I hate sport.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 202,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just found this in GD, hope you enjoy it.......... if you've not seen it before, a cracking little film ! :)

http://vimeo.com/7638752
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Have you contacted them about it? There's no point in keeping on moaning about it on here. There's nothing any of us can do.

Should I copy and paste the above so I can use it to reply next time you comment about Steve Allen. Or indeed, to anyone who comments about anything?

This whole thread, this whole FORUM is about comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found this in GD, hope you enjoy it.......... if you've not seen it before, a cracking little film ! :)

http://vimeo.com/7638752

Thanks for that. Beautiful, and amazing quality considering the age of the film. The old town hasn't changed so much. Extraordinary how everybody wore a hat!

Sorry, off topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Should I copy and paste the above so I can use it to reply next time you comment about Steve Allen. Or indeed, to anyone who comments about anything?

This whole thread, this whole FORUM is about comment.

It was a reasonable comment. Taking the p*** out of Steve isn't the same as constantly bemoaning the lack of certain types of presenters and asking rhetorical questions as to why. A letter to LBC management might clear up the mystery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live and let live. We all have our particular bonnet-bees, and I guess this doubles as a general venting thread. I always enjoy a good moan more than the hassle of actually trying to get anything done about things, lots of us are like that :)
This discussion has been closed.