Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    So with Coronation St usually 1m or so ahead on Monday nights, we'd be looking at well over 9m for our Monday night Weatherfield double bill?
    Although to be fair to De Vil, Coro hasnt had blanket promotion the last couple of days nor a massive storyline running right now. Youd expect EE to be less than 1million behind Coro tomorrow, in fact it should run Coro very close. This type of blanket promotion from the BBC is rare and doesnt come cheap, it should result in EE closing the gap on Coro.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So with Coronation St usually 1m or so ahead on Monday nights, we'd be looking at well over 9m for our Monday night Weatherfield double bill?

Or are we both being ridiculous now?

Coronation Street and EastEnders both beating Britain's Got Talent in the overnights? Think we'd get good money on that.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    BTW any rating for EastEnders Omnibus on Friday please?
    I'm sure the EastEnders Omnibus started in week one. :)

The Coronation St one appeared in 1989, but different ITV regions had different attitudes towards it, for various reasons.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Are you one of Julian Clary's scriptwriters. :D
    :blush: I realised it could be taken two ways, but it was too late to pull out.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,480
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    This new BBC1 controller (can't remember her name) seems to be as stuck in the past as an EastEnders plot and desperate for it to remain a part of the schedule whatever the cost - and the planned new set is a significant cost for a show not at the top of it's game. This latest push seems to be out of desperation rather than confidence and you have to wonder whether it's best the BBC admit the show has had it's day, however much it's improving on screen. The trouble is of course is how you replace it - even with the new set taken into consideration they'd be lucky to produce one hour of fairly cheap pre-watershed drama a week compared to the two hours from EE.

The promotional bombast is because EastEnders is worth it. I don't think it's "stuck in the past" or "desperate" to simply put your full backing behind what remains the cornerstone of BBC One's schedule. The BBC tend to greet the arrival of every new Doctor Who season like the second coming - its probably about time EE got some support too.

The show tops the channel's daily ratings on literally hundreds of occasions throughout the year. It's spent nearly 30 years propping up the channel share and supporting countless of programmes around it. It's appointment-to-view TV for millions and reaches audiences the rest of the BBC's output can't scratch. They're not getting behind it because it's some malnourished entity that needs life support - they're getting behind it because in the context of their channel, it's massive. ITV will do exactly the same from time to time with Corrie and Emmerdale because the same applies to those.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan will undoubtedly make excuses if EE episode on Monday doesn't reach 8 million. Word of mouth(his favourite phrase) didn't help boost ratings when Johnny came out as gay to Mick and I don't see this marketing campaign making any difference.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :blush: I realised it could be taken two ways, but it was too late to pull out.

You definitely ARE one of Julian Clary's scriptwriters, aren't you? :D
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or are we both being ridiculous now?

Nope just you

Which one has had the biggest promotional push since Dr Who's 50th, mmmm let me think. And given that Corrie is poor at the moment, it highly unlikely to top 9million.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Do intelligent people watch soaps, and if they do is it on a frequent basis? I don't mean posh people, I mean really educated people.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Soaps as a genre are possibly on their way out and EE is the most tired looking of them all - I had faith in the new producer but it's like listening to the Tony Blair of soap producers. Likewise the Labour fans on the soap forum. The quality isn't even near respectable - it's impossible to watch EE for enjoyment purposes anymore, it's more like "Oh didn't they do that shot well, EE is definitely on its way back!" No.

The trailers for this murder are also hilarious - and the pics in train stations etc. Like such ridiculousness would tempt any sane person to watch. All they are promoting is the notion that EE is any way important - that has to be earnt, and it hasn't been in quite some time.
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will be over 6million, but around 5.5m, compared to 5m for Jamaica Inn. I hope to be surprised but I think there will be people who feel its too depressing to watch.
    SamuelW wrote: »
    It wont rate well. When's the last time a biopic rated well [5m+] on itv?

When was the last biopic on ITV? Considering it was probably many years ago it probably did get over 5m.

Both shows are perfectly mainstream, many people will have been alive during Tommy Cooper's peak and will be interested in the behind the scene story. Even those who weren't alive during his heyday will most likely have heard of him. The rating could be under 5., but likewise it wouldn't be shocking if it was over 7m.

As for Jamaica Inn, its from a classic novel by Daphne Du Marier, again how is that not mainstream? Quite why it isn't airing on a Sunday is rather surprising, by stripping it midweek seems like they are tying to burn it off, it may launch at over 5m, but I wonder whether it will hold up
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have often shown trailers from other channels, from recent memory C5's Big Brother, C4's dramas and I think the Taste and they currently have a deal with Sky to advertise their programme and vice versa. Usually they just say coming soon rather than give specific time and dates and IiRC I don't think they can actually refuse to advertise other channels, there was some bother with BT and Sky that explains it better:
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=can%20a%20channel%20refuse%20to%20advertise%20another%20channels%20programs&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstakeholders.ofcom.org.uk%2Fbinaries%2Fenforcement%2Fbroadcast-bulletins%2F1103007%2Fbt-sport.pdf&ei=9jtUU-uDJ8asOI-0gOgG&usg=AFQjCNHLfqie7aj8CtrRv7ndg_Cg80jhCg&sig2=L3aMPcxtzsn600-5NlZmgQ&bvm=bv.65058239,d.ZWU

Anyway shows how desperate the BBC is to get people watching EastEnders again really.

Sky refused to show adverts for BT Sport on any Sky Sports channel and the decision was upheld by OFCOM - bit like The Sun advertising the Daily Mirror.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Although to be fair to De Vil, Coro hasnt had blanket promotion the last couple of days nor a massive storyline running right now. Youd expect EE to be less than 1million behind Coro tomorrow, in fact it should run Coro very close. This type of blanket promotion from the BBC is rare and doesnt come cheap, it should result in EE closing the gap on Coro.

I would not bet £1 of your money on that happening. One things for sure will will be able to judge the usefulness of the promotions by tommorrow. Get ready for the waste of money/money well spent posts that will proliferate in the morning. Samuels keyboard will be on turbocharge.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    @TVRatingsUK: #Countryfile was Easter Sunday's most watched programme with 6.30m/30.1% tuning in at 7pm.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@TVRatingsUK: #Endeavour on ITV was yesterday's most watched drama with 5.01m/21.3%. BBC1's #TheCrimsonField dropped to 4.80m/20.2% (down 620k)."
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders will be the number 1 show tonight, my sources show this, mark my words!

In seriousness, people who don't even like EE will be tuning in to see what the fuss is about, and there is a fuss, they are still airing trailers in every junction this morning and so far the announcer has promoted it over the ident in front of every programme. Whether they stick around for more than one or two episodes is the question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    "@TVRatingsUK: #Endeavour on ITV was yesterday's most watched drama with 5.01m/21.3%. BBC1's #TheCrimsonField dropped to 4.80m/20.2% (down 620k)."

So whatever you might think of The Crimson Field its ratings are dropping at Musketeer levels. What do we make of that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

A shame both dropped again, although The Crimson Field much more, and a shame Endeavour ended on a low.

Samuel's prediction The Crimson Field will be the BBC's next big drama is looking a bit silly now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Eastenders will be the number 1 show tonight, my sources show this, mark my words!

In seriousness, people who don't even like EE will be tuning in to see what the fuss is about, and there is a fuss, they are still airing trailers in every junction this morning and so far the announcer has promoted it over the ident in front of every programme. Whether they stick around for more than one or two episodes is the question.

If EastEnders doesn't get a boost tonight after all of this wall to wall promotion it will be disappointing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So whatever you might think of The Crimson Field its ratings are dropping at Musketeer levels. What do we make of that?

Bit over dramatic its not quite dropping that fast. Musketeers 2d episode was down 1.4m, The Crimson Field only half of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame both dropped again, although The Crimson Field much more, and a shame Endeavour ended on a low.

Samuel's prediction The Crimson Field will be the BBC's next big drama is looking a bit silly now.
    Both deserved more. I expected Endeavour and Crimson Field to be much higher.

I can't believe The Crimson Field is dropping like The Musketeers. I think it's a better show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wryip wrote: »
    When was the last biopic on ITV? Considering it was probably many years ago it probably did get over 5m.

Both shows are perfectly mainstream, many people will have been alive during Tommy Cooper's peak and will be interested in the behind the scene story. Even those who weren't alive during his heyday will most likely have heard of him. The rating could be under 5., but likewise it wouldn't be shocking if it was over 7m.

As for Jamaica Inn, its from a classic novel by Daphne Du Marier, again how is that not mainstream? Quite why it isn't airing on a Sunday is rather surprising, by stripping it midweek seems like they are tying to burn it off, it may launch at over 5m, but I wonder whether it will hold up

Can't see it holding up at all tbh, infact I think even Law & Order UK might outrate it on the Wednesday. I think the dark mood and lighting will put people off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit over dramatic its not quite dropping that fast. Musketeers 2d episode was down 1.4m, The Crimson Field only half of that.

But Crimson Field is still losing half a million a week so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member

TCF is down 1.3m in 2 episodes dont think thats anything other than dramatic. I dont understand it either but there it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't see it holding up at all tbh, infact I think even Law & Order UK might outrate it on the Wednesday. I think the dark mood and lighting will put people off.

You are SamuelW and I claim my £5 !!! :D
This discussion has been closed.