Options

We don't want foreigners taking our jobs......

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    if people feel there is too much competition from foreign workers for the kind of low paid jobs most Eastern European workers take, there is a simple answer.
    Go to college, get some qualifications and take yourself out of the bottom feeders' jobs market.

Or, another alternative, is to get your own back by moving abroad and take one of their jobs! See how they like it :)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself by working abroad. More young people here should be encouraged to do it to broaden their horizons, see more of the world and get more experience.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Or, another alternative, is to get your own back by moving abroad and take one of their jobs! See how they like it :)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself by working abroad. More young people here should be encouraged to do it to broaden their horizons, see more of the world and get more experience.

Sounds like an old recruitment ad for the army.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    Says Nigel Farage, but apparently it's ok if it's his German wife.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27115043

Ideal choice for the job because she'd live in and so be available 24/7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

isn't being on call 24/7 against the European working time directive?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    How can people call him a racist if his wife's not British? Maybe some people just like having family run their business rather than employ a stranger.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

TBH I haven't a clue but I did say be available, not on call.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can people call him a racist if his wife's not British? Maybe some people just like having family run their business rather than employ a stranger.
    People don't tend to call Farage a racist. They say he leads a party full of racists, which appears to at least have some truth in it. Farage is just an act. Very articulate, but nothing really behind the bluster and image.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My sister has lived and worked in Spain for more than 20 years. I doubt she will ever return to the UK.

I wouldn't vote UKIP as long as my arse points downwards.

According to this 1.8m UK citizens live and work in Europe.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5cd640f6-9025-11e3-a776-00144feab7de.html#axzz30KE1G1SN
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was on call one week in four, well paid for it as well. Being on call doesn't mean you are actually working.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    While Farage in having a German wife has left himself open to ridicule in objecting to foreigners taking British jobs, Ukip with all its faults remains the only major party that offers a glimmer of hope that llb-lab-con's collusion on everlasting mass immigration will be challenged and hopefully rejected. . With the UKs ever increasing population of some 65-70-mill (some say the true figure is over 80-mill) what the UK surely no longer needs is non-stop everlasting mass immigration courtesy of the lib-lab-con collusion gang.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The fact is she's doing a job that a brit could do-despite him saying no one else could do that job- I think he was caught short and couldn't think of anything else to say.

This is one of their slogans.

26 million people in Europe are looking for work. And whose job are they after?"

Maybe he's just a'selective racist.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mick r wrote: »
    Nigel Farage is right but he should have said since 2004 when Poland and other poor eastern european countries joined the EU they were given the right of the free movement of people .So they had the option to work and live in any other EU member state .So Poland £1.50 ? an hour or UK £6 ? an hour thats why they come to the Uk .The fact is things will never change , David Cameron cannot do a thing about it as long as UK is a EU member .Also UK has always had a trickle of Germans like Germany has always had a trickle of British and thats never been an issue. The big debate at the moment is about the influx of eastern europeans .

That is not true. When a new member joins the EU the existing members can limit the number of migrant workers for a period of time. When Poland and seven other ex-communist countries joined the EU in 2004 one of the very few countries not to impose such restrictions was Tony Blair's Labour government, hence the reason so many came here.

Germany and Austria only lifted their restrictions in 2011.

Most of the immigration of Eastern European workers over the last 10 years has been self-inflicted by our government. Blaming the EU is merely scaprgoating.

In saying that, though, most of "our jobs" the immigrants are "taking" are jobs most British people wouldn't do in the first place. Remember all the Polish plumbers that came over in 2004? They could come over because there was a cronic shortage of British plumbers. It was only when it was reported in the media that the Polish plumbers were earning £50,000 a year British people started to take an interest. Before that many colleges had stopped offering plumbers courses due to lack of interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe if the British construction workers didn't overcharge ,then people wouldn't see the need to go for the cheaper option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe if the British construction workers didn't overcharge ,then people wouldn't see the need to go for the cheaper option.
    Most construction workers in this country have skills and experience. That's worth paying for over some teacher from Poland who's decided to become a plumber for a couple of years in order to buy himself a house in Gdansk. Quality of work is always the prime motivator when it comes to choosing a contractor IMO.

Of course, if your chosen contractor then employs retrained teachers from Gdansk to do his plumbing work that's his business. As long as someone is watching the standard I'm OK with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Most construction workers in this country have skills and experience. That's worth paying for over some teacher from Poland who's decided to become a plumber for a couple of years in order to buy himself a house in Gdansk. Quality of work is always the prime motivator when it comes to choosing a contractor IMO.

Of course, if your chosen contractor then employs retrained teachers from Gdansk to do his plumbing work that's his business. As long as someone is watching the standard I'm OK with it.

I've had no experience with Polish or any other foreign builder so I can't comment but I have had experience with English builders and I can honestly say I haven't been particularly happy with many if not any of them; to the extent that although desperate to get needed work done on my house, I've had to put it off until I can find builders I can trust. Of late someone has put me in touch with someone she gets a lot of work for and highly recommends and although he seems as though he knows what he's doing, I've been without a kitchen for about 4 weeks now my washing machine has been outside and my house is a mess; simply because he's doing two jobs at once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had no experience with Polish or any other foreign builder so I can't comment but I have had experience with English builders and I can honestly say I haven't been particularly happy with many if not any of them; to the extent that although desperate to get needed work done on my house, I've had to put it off until I can find builders I can trust. Of late someone has put me in touch with someone she gets a lot of work for and highly recommends and although he seems as though he knows what he's doing, I've been without a kitchen for about 4 weeks now my washing machine has been outside and my house is a mess; simply because he's doing two jobs at once.
    That's because good British builders who obtain work via recommendation are usually in demand. You'll get better results for doing it this way, which despite the current inconvenience will make you a lot happier a couple of months down the line.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    My sister has lived and worked in Spain for more than 20 years. I doubt she will ever return to the UK.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5cd640f6-9025-11e3-a776-00144feab7de.html#axzz30KE1G1SN

Have UKIP addressed what their proposals would mean to all the UK citizens who work in other EU countries? Are there jobs for them here if we leave both the EU and EEA?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Have UKIP addressed what their proposals would mean to all the UK citizens who work in other EU countries? Are there jobs for them here if we leave both the EU and EEA?
    Of course they haven't. Their anti-EU policy isn't thought out past getting the UK out of the EU.

I'd like to say my job would be freed up for some returning ex-pat as I'd be off like a shot. However, since my clients are already scattered across the world it's fair to say I could take them to whichever country I relocate to, providing of course the timezone isn't that far off an offset from the UK. Tax income for someone else's government I suppose.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Of course they haven't. Their anti-EU policy isn't thought out past getting the UK out of the EU.

I'd like to say my job would be freed up for some returning ex-pat as I'd be off like a shot. However, since my clients are already scattered across the world it's fair to say I could take them to whichever country I relocate to, providing of course the timezone isn't that far off an offset from the UK. Tax income for someone else's government I suppose.

I must admit I would be interested to see what jobs the returning UK people would need compared the ones opened up by the non-UK people who would be leaving. The average salary might make interesting reading.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Presumably he's also happy for our businesses to be forced to pay more for expensive home-grown labour while our European neighbours benefit from cheap labour. I also wonder if he expects the French to keep putting time and resources into maintaining a prison camp for wannabe immigrants if we leave the EU. I'm betting they'll just open the gates and wish them a bon voyage across the channel.

I don't see the logic in that? if we limit immigration how will they be able to cross the channel? they will just have to stay in France or go home.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Most Brits living in Spain and other countries are retirees who invest in those countries by buying property and businesses, they don't go to doss off their benefits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Most Brits living in Spain and other countries are retirees who invest in those countries by buying property and businesses, they don't go to doss off their benefits.
    And most EU migrants coming to the UK invest in the country by working and paying taxes. The idea that they come for the benefits simply doesn't tally with reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's because good British builders who obtain work via recommendation are usually in demand. You'll get better results for doing it this way, which despite the current inconvenience will make you a lot happier a couple of months down the line.

Not if I have to buy a new washing machine; as mine will have been outside for 5-6 weeks by the time he says he will finish ; or if he hangs it out too close to my deadline and I have little time to clean up and paint after he's gone.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And there are plenty of British cowboys as well.

I've just had to have a leak repaired in my heating system thanks to a British plumbing contractor who bodged the job and kinked a pipe when my house was built in the 1990s. But rather than replace the pipe they left it, as their "work" would be hidden behind the plasterboard. It took my father, a retired plumber, 10 minutes to do the job properly.