Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    portugalportugal Posts: 1,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://tummiweb.com/scorewiz/rsvp/91876/jEcVK

One last push for your votes. Results this evening.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,509
    Forum Member
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    That blog is more than filth.

The one about Cezar four pictures down :o

No wonder his follow up single was called Painful Love.

EDIT-

http://24.media.tumblr.com/85724183aeafd120878a5fbd2247990f/tumblr_n3bejqi2Dy1szfx92o1_500.jpg They've leaked the cover/ title of his new album.
  • Options
    kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I loved Cezar last year.
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,933
    Forum Member
    The trouble with the UK is that we grew used to success, finishing in the Top 2 in one third of the contests. However the contest changed, it got really competitive and much more serious and the UK failed to adjust. France too is really just lost and hopeless.

What's really depressing is that I think the BBC did a lot right this year but it resulted in a particularly statistical insignificant improvement.

It does have to be said though I loved Molly and I will be following her progress with interest. Please let's hope she can rebound and have success with her future music :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Schofield getting pilitical with Eurovision again on This Morning. Only had it on in the background, but it sounded like he was moaning abour our placing in the scoreboard, and that he agreed with the booing of Russia... >:(
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of your personal prejudices against Conchita (and God knows this weekend has been an eye opener, we still have a shamefully long way to come in acceptance :(), you'd really have to be a bloody minded armchair expert to even suggest Conchita's performance wasn't strong. It was the best vocal performance of the night!

I do love how the Eurovision fans who've been following Molly's song from February have accepted her defeat with grace and moved on, whereas the people who proclaim to be above the contest are still navel gazing, casting aspersions and generally acting like incredibly sore losers 48 hours on.

A drag queen with a beard is the exact sort of gimmick we need to win, we put enough money in so why not utilise these type of gimmicks? It wasn't a particularly strong performance or an original song, you're far too biased and blinkered on your bizarre crusade to use Conchitas win as some strike for civil liberty and trying to shout down those who disagree. You'll find you are in the absolute tiniest of minorities there.

We need a gimmick as sending a strong song and singer doesn't work, so we need something really camp and kitsch and controversial. Get your thinking caps on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I'm loving hearing the discussions of Eurovision in the office this morning. No one at all seems bitter about our position, and all seemed to love Conchita. One of my colleagues just said she had a bit too much to drink, got a bit philosophical and started texting all her friends about how wonderful it was that Eurovision has made a difference in the world now that Conchita has won, haha.

This is the first time I can actually ever remember (I was still a student in '09 when Jade did well!) positive discussions about the contest. Everyone is also commenting on how epic her acceptance speech was. Which I agree! "We are a unity, we are unstoppable!"...

Thinking about that... "We Are Unstoppable" should be the slogan for 2015 :p

So true. There has been virtually no whinging and moaning this year, it's all been strangely positive. :o

On Good Morning Britain, Susanna Reid was praising Eurovision to the hilt, saying how great it was and how she watched it from the very beginning to the very end. Again, not a single negative thing said and no mention of the word 'political'.
  • Options
    Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    da33431 wrote: »
    It does have to be said though I loved Molly and I will be following her progress with interest. Please let's hope she can rebound and have success with her future music :)

This is important I think. If Molly can find success after Eurovision and is able to build a career for herself more artist from the BBC introduction stage may be willing to take the risk. If her album flops I think the BBC will find it hard to get another artist like her to take the risk.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sat.Deelay wrote: »
    Philip Schofield getting pilitical with Eurovision again on This Morning. Only had it on in the background, but it sounded like he was moaning abour our placing in the scoreboard, and that he agreed with the booing of Russia... >:(

That was not the 17th placed song at that contest. To deny the Eurovision is political is like denying the nose on the end of your face, it just makes you look foolish and the more you deny it the deeper you dig your hole. Best just to concede the point and move on. The booing of Russia was warranted too so Pip is correct there.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    That blog is more than filth.
    It really is - what they say about Topi there :o Please, he's just an innocent young boy :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was not the 17th placed song at that contest. To deny the Eurovision is political is like denying the nose on the end of your face, it just makes you look foolish and the more you deny it the deeper you dig your hole. Best just to concede the point and move on. The booing of Russia was warranted too so Pip is correct there.

C'mon. I admire your hardiness sticking around 48 hours after the contest but you're just making a fool of yourself now :D

The votes put Netherlands and Austria Top 2- something that would have been unthinkable three years ago! San Marino qualified against all of the odds. Switzerland and Poland came Top 10 on televote.

If anything, this was the least "political voting" (an absolutely meaningless term, really, cooked up by Brits with a dangerous mix of inferiority and superiority complex) Eurovision in a long time. We didn't win- deal with it, just have a bit of dignity and a rudimentary understanding of Eurovision whilst you are.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need a gimmick as sending a strong song and singer doesn't work, so we need something really camp and kitsch and controversial. Get your thinking caps on.

i know, there's this group that were popular once that just fit your idea of what's perfect for Eurovision. They're called Scooch. Do you want their number? Admit it; you're clueless. You don't understand this thing at all. Why are you even still posting? You spent weeks before the show saying how much you disapprove of it all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    You lucky lot! :eek:

So so glad you had a great time. I'd love to go to an ESC at some point, it's a goal of mine. Thanks so much for the account! The Eurovision spirit has to be one of the best things in this world. :)

Thanks! It was a brilliant experience. Wish I could do it all again, as the PED has definitely set in. Here's my mate's selfie with Jon Ola Sand, by the way! :D
    https://twitter.com/markblackman/status/464912899178508288
    I suggest we all give Radio 2 (And perhaps the BBC in general) a few little messages of support and gratitude due to their approach to the contest this year. I have thoroughly enjoyed Radio 2 Eurovision and pray that they give it another go next year. I suppose the least we could do as mega fans is to let them know our appreciation. :):kitty:

Absolutely! I second that! I tweeted them last night, and the replied to say they were glad I enjoyed it. Was there ever a Facebook page set up for it? Or did it just use the standard Radio 2 page?
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was not the 17th placed song at that contest..

er, yes it was, clearly. Jonathan King, who knows a thing about Eurovision, predicted it would come 18th when the song was first unveiled. I had a similar prediction. It didn't deserve a top 10 placing at all... It's not even going to be a top 20 hit here in Britain.
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Explain EXACTLY what you mean before asking others to concede anything

If you are talking about neighbourly voting - then look at who the UK got their only set of "big" points, we are just as guilty of it as other nations

If you are talking about diaspora, then say so. The UK and Ireland always give big points to Lithuania when they are in a position to do so

If you are talking about booing to an extent that it reduces two young 17 year old girls to tears being correct, then you need to have a word with yourself. Other forms of protest are just as effective. If the crowd had stood as one during the Russian votes and held rainbow flags aloft, or indeed Ukrainian ones if this was the cause of their ire, this would have been much more poignant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    da33431 wrote: »
    The trouble with the UK is that we grew used to success, finishing in the Top 2 in one third of the contests. However the contest changed, it got really competitive and much more serious and the UK failed to adjust. France too is really just lost and hopeless.

What's really depressing is that I think the BBC did a lot right this year but it resulted in a particularly statistical insignificant improvement.

I really hope so, One thing that annoyed me so much about wogan is that he seemed to have this air of entitlement that we should win every year. I don't go much for the countries just the songs and I not bothered if we win or not although its always a welcome boost if we do. Im old enough to remember all but one of our winners. Its great when a new hosting country gets picked because the song won. Think how countries must feel when they plug away year after year and get zilch, never won. I loved it when Finland won it took them years to get the honour. I just don't think we have anything to complain about when it comes to the contest. Plus we get to be big 5 as well.

It's meant to be entertainment , just watch and enjoy cheer on your country or any other but its meant to be fun and it always has been for me. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Explain EXACTLY what you mean before asking others to concede anything

If you are talking about neighbourly voting - then look at who the UK got their only set of "big" points, we are just as guilty of it as other nations

If you are talking about diaspora, then say so. The UK and Ireland always give big points to Lithuania when they are in a position to do so

If you are talking about booing to an extent that it reduces two young 17 year old girls to tears being correct, then you need to have a word with yourself. Other forms of protest are just as effective. If the crowd had stood as one during the Russian votes and held rainbow flags aloft, or indeed Ukrainian ones if this was the cause of their ire, this would have been much more poignant.

well said. I mean if this guy is still winging about it why does he not just stop watching it and leave it for the rest of us to enjoy. Plenty of us who did and yes i completely agree about those poor girls. Imagine if that was your sons or daughters. Way to go to spoil what should be a fantastic experience. totally wrong when you think what eurovision is about anyway. Raise your vibration a bit.
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    portugal wrote: »
    http://tummiweb.com/scorewiz/rsvp/91876/jEcVK

One last push for your votes. Results this evening.

I can't vote? It gives me an error telling me I already voted on this IP adress?
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    It really is - what they say about Topi there :o Please, he's just an innocent young boy :(

I guess it's not suitable to look at at work? :D:D

Re: the above discussion
    It really is sad that there is even need for these discussions to take place. Really sad. You lot all put it in words much better than I ever could :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really hope people can get some common sense before the Junior version of Eurovision and there is no booing there. More disgusting than i can imagine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anyway enough oxygen given to wingers, . agree to disagree and get over it

...moving on

What are your thoughts on a meme for next year * We are unity* ? would be nice to use Conchita's words I think. The impact of her win is exciting on so many levels. she is so much bigger than the song or even the contest.
  • Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    I really hope people can get some common sense before the Junior version of Eurovision and there is no booing there. More disgusting than i can imagine

The crowd at junior eurovision is often kids and in Malta so i doubt they have strong political views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A drag queen with a beard is the exact sort of gimmick we need to win, we put enough money in so why not utilise these type of gimmicks? It wasn't a particularly strong performance or an original song, you're far too biased and blinkered on your bizarre crusade to use Conchitas win as some strike for civil liberty and trying to shout down those who disagree. You'll find you are in the absolute tiniest of minorities there.

Ah, so we're getting to the crux of it now. You think we're also pushing some kind of "rainbow agenda" just because we're accepting Conchita's decisions about her own body? Got it.

I'll say that perhaps you're the blinkered one if you think Conchita's win is solely down to her "gimmick". Drag artists have represented Slovenia, Denmark and Ukraine- none of whom won (or in the case of the first two, even came close), so perhaps, afterall, it's down the strength of the song and performance. I've noticed a certain type of poster over the past few days who will do anything but praise Conchita's song. Let me tell you this, you do not win Eurovision without a good song- or at least, a song that is good enough to be liked by a large swathe of Europeans (all from wildly different social and cultural backgrounds).

The reason Conchita was never considered a frontrunner before Thursday was because there were some (thankfully groundless) worries as to how some quarters of the continent would react to her. It's no surprise her performance from Thursday's semi became the most watched on YouTube, the most downloaded on iTunes and the favourite to win. It was bloody good, regardless of the physical aspect of the act.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2625866/Winner-whisker-Austrias-bearded-lady-conquers-Eurovision-Russias-rage.html

Tom also reminds me of Noomi Rapace from The Girl with Dragon tattoo/ Promethious movies
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You were warned, once we're transformed, once we're reborn" Goosebumps.

http://youtu.be/8fvLtTRzdHw?t=2m39s
This discussion has been closed.