Options

Islamic State Milliants Behead U.S Reporter

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I think I was right first time. Raving drunk. I bloody hope you're raving drunk at least.

It's pretty funny though :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Oh, so it's our fault for being nasty to Muslims?

Isn't it strange how Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jews and immigrants in general aren't beheading people, planting bombs, hacking soldiers to death, trying to impose sharia law, preaching hatred in schools and mosques etc.

No, it's our fault. Nothing at all to do with Islam.

At least read my previous post before you start getting all defensive.

I've never said it's all our fault, but it IS a part of a huge problem. Those problems, on UK soil are down to both being too liberal and down to lack of tolerance - both extremes, again. It creates division and more extremes.

The disaffected in the UK are being recruited in different ways for different reasons to people elsewhere. There is no nice neat answer of one or two words that can fix it worldwide, but we can look at what we can do here.

I'm all for banning the burka, it doesn't stop anyone practising their faith and it creates less division. I'm against faith schools, of any faith. I'm not for nuking the Middle East or deporting British citizens.

So before you start getting whiney with me, accept that both sides of this argument have got it wrong and both sides have a part to play. Both have played right into the hands of ISIS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    It's pretty funny though :D

It's the image in my head of what someone's facial expressions are doing when they post with such anger :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This article in The Spectator throws some light on the topic:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2014/01/is-the-startling-rise-in-muslim-infants-as-positive-as-the-times-suggests/

The comments section pretty much mirrors the debates on DS.

So one in ten babies born in Britain are Muslim? Interesting stat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AsimMalik wrote: »
    I have just googled the statistics and found this BBC page from 2007, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6309983.stm

"62% of 16 to 24-year-olds feel they have as much in common with non-Muslims as Muslims, compared with 71% of over-55s"

"60% of Muslims would prefer to send their children to a mixed state school, compared with 35% who would prefer to send their child to an Islamic school"

"37% of 16 to 24-year-olds would prefer to send their children to Islamic state schools, compared with 19% of over-55s"

"59% of Muslims would prefer to live under British law, compared with 28% who would prefer to live under Sharia law"

"75% believe it was wrong for a council to ban an advertisement for a Christmas carol service in 2003 for fear of causing tension"

"64% believe it was wrong for a council to ban all images of pigs from its offices, for example on calendars and toys in 2005, for fear of offending Muslims"

Just a few of the positives that came from the poll of 1000 people.

I fail to see how these stats are positive. 36% of people think the council should ban all images of pigs?! That's utterly ridiculous! Also, more than one in four people surveyed want to live under sharia law - that is a disturbingly high number.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    At least read my previous post before you start getting all defensive.

I've never said it's all our fault, but it IS a part of a huge problem. Those problems, on UK soil are down to both being too liberal and down to lack of tolerance - both extremes, again. It creates division and more extremes.

The disaffected in the UK are being recruited in different ways for different reasons to people elsewhere. There is no nice neat answer of one or two words that can fix it worldwide, but we can look at what we can do here.

I'm all for banning the burka, it doesn't stop anyone practising their faith and it creates less division. I'm against faith schools, of any faith. I'm not for nuking the Middle East or deporting British citizens.

So before you start getting whiney with me, accept that both sides of this argument have got it wrong and both sides have a part to play. Both have played right into the hands of ISIS.

Sorry, I've edited my post since your reply.

Have another bash at it if you like. :blush:
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very disturbing indeed, a Gallup poll in 2009 of 500 British Muslims, reveled none of them believed that homosexuality was morally acceptable. Another poll revealed that 28% of British Muslims hoped that Britain would one day become an Islamic state.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    It's the image in my head of what someone's facial expressions are doing when they post with such anger :D

http://theinstance.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/man-angry-computer-large.jpg
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    Very disturbing indeed, a Gallup poll in 2009 of 500 British Muslims, reveled none of them believed that homosexuality was morally acceptable. Another poll revealed that 28% of British Muslims hoped that Britain would one day become an Islamic state.

Not really sure what relevance this has, the figure is bound to be shocking for the majority of religions being asked the same question.

The above is based on the original post which didn't include the second stat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Sorry, I've edited my post since your reply.

Have another bash at it if you like. :blush:

Lol, it's cool. Quite a volatile thread :)

I'm about to try settle, but pull me up on answering you fully tomorrow. For what it's worth, I'm mostly in agreement with you :)

I just think it's worth remembering that there are Muslims as pissed off as we are, and rightly so. It's the problem of differentiating the good/bad and we're so heading towards racial profiling. Like I said earlier, it's far to late to stop the rot now, it's here. We have to deal with it and I don't even know where that begins.

Night :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Not really sure what relevance this has, the figure is bound to be shocking for the majority of religions being asked the same question.

The above is based on the original post which didn't include the second stat

Would make sense if Britain was a religious country, but we are not. We are a post Christian nation. But 5 points for attempting the hypothetical comparison game to try and dull statistics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So we can all look forward to being clad in burkas and stoned to death for being gay then. It's sickening that people in 21st century Britain have these medieval and highly offensive views. This is why the term "moderate Muslim" doesn't make sense to me. These views are not those of a moderate individual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we can all look forward to being clad in burkas and stoned to death for being gay then.

Mad isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Government give out £5 for every strawman used on a public forum or something? If so, I think I am missing a trick here! :D

I was being serious. With one in ten children born in the UK now Muslim, and the fact that 28% of British Muslims want to see sharia law imposed in the UK, is it so far beyond the realms of possibility?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They polled 500 0f the 2.6 million muslims. That's representative:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I agree with you. I was just having a go at being a self righteous lobotomized liberal to see how it felt. Didn't enjoy it.

The threat is very real. Creeping Islam is a serious problem, however, I truely believe the country deserves it for how it has treated anyone who has questioned islam. France is fighting it, however we just opened our legs and provided the lube. We deserve the stds which are coming are way...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would make sense if Britain was a religious country, but we are not. We are a post Christian nation. But 5 points for attempting the hypothetical comparison game to try and dull statistics.

I'll repeat what has Muslims disagreeing with people being gay got to do with this thread other than to try and whip up unrelated outrage.

It also doesn't matter if Britain is a religious country or not, ask any religious group and you're highly likely to get similar results.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

I know right? Ipsos MORI - the most trusted poll company, usually polls 1000 people random people. That changes everything right? :confused: ;-) :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Isn't the point of polls that they select a representative cross-section of the group they are polling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the point of polls that they select a representative cross-section of the group they are polling?

Do you think 500 out of 2.6million is likely to have achieved a fair representation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll repeat what has Muslims disagreeing with people being gay got to do with this thread other than to try and whip up unrelated outrage.

It also doesn't matter if Britain is a religious country or not, ask any religious group and you're highly likely to get similar results.

Well - we're talking about extremism here, but what's disturbing to me is how so many so-called moderate Muslims hold these highly offensive and utterly immoderate views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol, it's cool. Quite a volatile thread :)

I'm about to try settle, but pull me up on answering you fully tomorrow. For what it's worth, I'm mostly in agreement with you :)

I just think it's worth remembering that there are Muslims as pissed off as we are, and rightly so. It's the problem of differentiating the good/bad and we're so heading towards racial profiling. Like I said earlier, it's far to late to stop the rot now, it's here. We have to deal with it and I don't even know where that begins.

Night :)

It's always a bad idea to post about something that makes one so angry. It doesn't lead to the most coherent of posts.

My rather heavily edited post is more indicative of how I feel. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Don't worry. If the poll had supported his views on this issue, he wouldn't have questioned it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think 500 out of 2.6million is likely to have achieved a fair representation?

If it was an accurate representation of different Muslims from a wide variety of backgrounds and ages etc, then yes. That's how all polls work.