Options

Douglas Carswell MP Defects To UKIP

Comments

• Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    He doesn't say it straight at all though, does he? Just ask his first two wives.

He is about representative of the British working class as David Cameron, George Osborne and Boris Johnson is. He is an ex-public school boy, former hedge fund manager and a philanderer. He has no interest in the "common working person," you only have to look at his ideas on employment rights, plans for the NHS and union representation to understand that.

People love him though. Go up against him and show how right you are. Before you say you cannot afford it, I will pay your registration.

Go up and prove how representative he is against you.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all Nigel Farage is not principled. I suggest you take a look at his business dealings and tax affairs, as well as his MEP expenses (oops, forgot, you can't look at those, because he hasn't published any accounts, despite his promise to publish them every quarter). Then take a look at his personal life, people with principles and integrity don't lie to their nearest an dearest. They don't go off having affairs, for example.

Secondly, UKIP will cease to exist if they were to secure enough influence to bring about a referendum on Europe. If there was a referendum and the answer was to stay in the EU, their raison d'être would be untenable. If the answer was to leave, their presence in British politics would be pointless; in fact Nigel Farage himself has publically stated that if the UK were to come out of the EU, UKIP would disband.

With the now twenty odd MEPs, all drawing huge salaries and even bigger expense accounts, for doing absolutely beggar all (something that they are oddly very proud off), have no desire whatsoever to give that up.

Finally, their supporters will be floundering around like headless chickens, desperately finding something to set their anger upon.

Firstly, the last section of the first paragraph of what you wrote borders on being libelous.

Nobody has an obligatation in life to pay more tax then they should. So good luck to him if he took advantage of any loopholes. I'd do the same if I were well off. It's up to the government to close them.

In regards to MEP expenses I don't have a problem with UKIP and their MP's claiming every last penny from the EU. They put the money to use for campaigning for UKIP they don't use it for personal gain. Unlike the criminal MEps from other parties who turn up to claim their 300 Euros a day allowance and leave straight away. The UKIP meps provide opposition to the criminal and illegal workings of the EU and the way it operates against democracy.

Your second paragraph starts with exactly what I said already. So why repeat it?
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    He's been flirting with UKIP for ages, I'm surprised it's taken him this long to defect. Idiot.

UKIP got twice as many votes as the Conservatives in the European elections, and it looks like aUKIP possible seat - seaside, elderly, and white - with some poor spots with Labour voters who might shift too.

It may turn into a three way marginal, and provide a warning of what voting UKIP does to help Milliband, but I can see UKIP holding it? Cameron is talking about fighting it hard - but thats not not a good strategy if you then lose.

The guys explanantion doesn't make much other rational sense. No one serious thinks much more can be done about the EU, and his statement is littered with support for all sorts of bizarre ideas - like the right to recall MPs anytime any group of far left, or far right, voters want some extreme policy instead. He's either an ideolgue or someone who can read his fate in the polls.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm confused. Has he or has he not resigned from parliament? Is he officially a representative of UKIP in the House of Commons? Do UKIP hold a whip in the House of Commons?

Jeez you do get stuck on piffling points. At the time he made his announcement, he had not resigned from Parliament, therefore he remains an MP under whatever banner he likes. You don't have to belong to a party to be a MP. Got it now?
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    You are being naughty again northantsgirl. There are very few loons in the Conservative Party.

And a decrease in the number of members since this government set up shop. I think you is running scared again.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was Dave I wouldn't bother with a candidate at the by-election. Let Carswell hang himself when he becomes the face of UKIP up till the next election.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nessun Dorma, I have offered you a way into politics to prove that your message is greater then Farage's.

Yes or no?
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying that Labour will now certainly win? Ted Millipede has not made the traction he needs too. His personal ratings are horrid. Labours poll lead isn't great. In fact I saw a report the other day that said no opposition has ever won an outright majority with the poll lead Ted has. I think the best Labour and the Tories can hope for is another hung parliament.

Depends how much of the UKIP vote wastes itself, and allows Milliband to get ahead in the popular vote.

Its may be a completely farcical election. The Tories may win most votes if they get half the UKIP voters back. Labour may stall, because its leader is clearly inadequate, but may still get most seats - thanks to obsolete boundaries and rotten boroughs . And the Liberals may suffer massive losses. Its complicated by the fact that the Liberals can define who won the public - by either seats or votes , and, if Clegg might prefer to continue the existing coalition, someone else may then be leader, and want to look different.

It would be a fitting commentary on UK politics if UKIP voters put in officethe two parties that wouldn't have an EU referendum, and the only vote that mattered would be that of the then leader of a Liberal party - that had just been massively rejected in the polls.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    I don't know why you're having a go, I was just commenting on our friend's utterly single-minded obsession.

This is a politics forum where people comment about politicians and politics. What is not allowed is personal comments about other posters.

You may well find me very interesting, interesting enough to take swipes at, I however am not interested in anything about you. Therefore kindly refrain from making personal attacks on myself.

Thank you.

Discuss politics please, not other posters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never been called a separatist before:)
    I've had cyber nat, tree hugging green and extreme lefty plus a few others, so I'm going to add this to my collection.

Do you want Scotland to separate from the UK?

If so, yes you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how much of the UKIP vote wastes itself, and allows Milliband to get ahead in the popular vote.

Its may be a completely farcical election. The Tories may win most votes if they get half the UKIP voters back. Labour may stall, because its leader is clearly inadequate, but may still get most seats - thanks to obsolete boundaries and rotten boroughs . And the Liberals may suffer massive losses. Its complicated by the fact that the Liberals can define who won the public - by either seats or votes , and, if Clegg might prefer to continue the existing coalition, someone else may then be leader, and want to look different.

It would be a fitting commentary on UK politics if UKIP voters put in officethe two parties that wouldn't have an EU referendum, and the only vote that mattered would be that of the then leader of a Liberal party - that had just been massively rejected in the polls.

Thanks for your post. I still can't understand why some people assume that Labour is certain to win next time?
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Carswell is a fracking enthusiast and a supporter of GM crops.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your post. I still can't understand why some people assume that Labour is certain to win next time?

Any chance of a link to anyone saying "Labour are certain to win"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance of a link to anyone saying "Labour are certain to win"?

It's all over the politics forum. There was one post on here earlier that said this announcement today has handed Labour an election victory.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clacton (Tendring) Council in May will now go Ukip too.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you are happy for UKIP to trample on their key supporters? I suppose they are just keeping up with the elitist approach of the right wing and totally ignoring the rights and feelings of anyone that doesn't fit in with their plans.

The party will make a decision. It's normal politics for the party to put up their strongest candidates in each particular seat they're going for. I'm not sure what chances Roger Lord had of standing for UKIP yesterday in this area considering the CON majority was 12,000 odd votes. Was it even on their list of target seats?

I'm sure Mr Lord will feel a bit hard done by but that's politics. It would be madness for UKIP to say "Oh well we already had someone in that area, that's a shame" and not capture an odds on seat in Parliament.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if UKIP have 5 or 6 Tories lined up to jump ship and have a by-election every few weeks leading up to the general election........that could give UKIP some real momentum

Imagine going into a general election with UKIP having won 6 by-elections in the previous few months........they'd be unstoppable

I wonder if that kind of tactic has occurred to them ?........

The danger would be that people might just see them as gimmicks after one or two
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The party will make a decision. It's normal politics for the party to put up their strongest candidates in each particular seat they're going for. I'm not sure what chances Roger Lord had of standing for UKIP yesterday in this area considering the CON majority was 12,000 odd votes. Was it even on their list of target seats?

I'm sure Mr Lord will feel a bit hard done by but that's politics. It would be madness for UKIP to say "Oh well we already had someone in that area, that's a shame" and not capture an odds on seat in Parliament.

Agree. Perhaps they can set Mr Lord up as the PPC in another constituency.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Would be hilarious if Roger Lord joined the Tories to fight him.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Would be hilarious if Roger Lord joined the Tories to fight him.

Or stood as some kind of independent UKIP candidate with the backing of the local party.

But I bet in the fantasy world of UKIP they will tell him they will reverse his name when they get into power:D
  • Options
    David_JamesDavid_James Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Miliband must be laughing his socks off today.

Douglas Carswell was very aware until quite recently that the only way us, the British people, would have a say on the European Union, was if David Cameron won the 2015 General Election, as only the Tories can provide us with one. He knows full well that UKIP can NOT win under First Past the Post, and he knows that UKIP helps Labour.

Carswell has made a Labour Government more likely with this move. A very poor, and self defeating decision.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    I'm sure his decision had noting to do with the trouncing of the Tories in council and European elections in the area
    A lot of things coming together I would say. If you look at his views he has long been at odds with the Conservative Party on certain issues - chiefly Europe.. Good on him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miliband must be laughing his socks off today.

Douglas Carswell was very aware until quite recently that the only way us, the British people, would have a say on the European Union, was if David Cameron won the 2015 General Election, as only the Tories can provide us with one. He knows full well that UKIP can NOT win under First Past the Post, and he knows that UKIP helps Labour.

Carswell has made a Labour Government more likely with this move. A very poor, and self defeating decision.

Ted Millipede will be forced to offer a referendum with his dismal personal ratings and his so so poll lead mark my words.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are having a laugh. Who other than the immigrants (imported to gain votes by Bliar) will be voting Labour with Miliband, Balls and Harman at the helm - and after the IS sympathisers no doubt do their stuff and the Rotherham debacle?