Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    Actually muslims first arrived in the country in the 18th century, the first mosque in the country was set up in 1889 (when Marks and Spencer was founded) and the first one in London in 1924, so they are a well- established part of British life. Islam being the second biggest religion in the country it is surprising there are not many more.

(Originally Posted by Jefferson
    Ah! That will be the moment I heard my wife shouting, fewer mosques Gobber, fewer mosques.)

Mrs Jefferson appears to share my own bugbear about the use of 'less' instead of 'fewer'. I got the impression that this was the point of her outburst, not the number of mosques in the UK.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    I don't think Mellor was in the queue when the fairy godmothers were handing out shame and embarrassment. And as a 'new boy', I doubt if Danczuk will tease him about Cabbiegate in the way that Ken would have done.

Morning all. :)

If I'd been that cabbie, I would have crashed on the brakes and asked Mellor to GET OUT NOW. The fact that, the cabbie decided to record everything secretly instead to sell to a rag, doesn't smack of being an angel himself.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Full and unreserved apology from Mellor, and the promise of a substantial donation to the cabbies xmas charity appeal.

Well done David.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    The tone of DM's voice sounding rather different this morning. I wonder if this experience will make him a bit less arsey with callers, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    The tone of DM's voice sounding rather different this morning. I wonder if this experience will make him a bit less arsey with callers, too.

It's a real Dave/cabbie love-in! If only Andrew Mitchell had displayed similar graciousness he might not have to be selling one of his houses to fund legal bills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And now the news is reporting DM's apology... very strange way of phrasing it, which makes it sound as if it had happened on a different station.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I doubt it - unless he acknowledges he does have a temper that can easily be stoked and consciously does something about it. His problem is inherent in him and you hear it on his show at least once a month, snapping at a caller: whenever he feels a perceived slight on his intelligence and/or character, his need to list out his achievements and experiences in a hotly heated manner kicks in. This cabbie incident is nothing new.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the US equivalent of the Boxing Day sales, coming just after Thanksgiving for them.

Another pointless US import that has no significance over here...

It seems from yesterday's news that some of us Brits have taken it to their hearts :o:D

Morning to you, makeba. Happy weekend to All x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I doubt it - unless he acknowledges he does have a temper that can easily be stoked and consciously does something about it. His problem is inherent in him and you hear it on his show at least once a month, snapping at a caller: whenever he feels a perceived slight on his intelligence and/or character, his need to list out his achievements and experiences in a hotly heated manner kicks in. This cabbie incident is nothing new.

Well said Nihonga, something about Mellor I've become very conscious of too. The way he can very suddenly let rip at a caller, his temper seems uncontrollable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems from yesterday's news that some of us Brits have taken it to their hearts :o:D

Morning to you makeba. Happy weekend to All x

Good morning to you, too. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plebgate = Borefest. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 1h1 hour ago

Well, @SimonDanczuk is proving himself to be a radio natural. Only bit of advice: butt in on Mellor a bit more. You're his presenter equal!
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 1h1 hour ago

Well, @SimonDanczuk is proving himself to be a radio natural. Only bit of advice: butt in on Mellor a bit more. You're his presenter equal!

ID only recommends those he shares a political ideology . SD is not a man of the people.

looks as if for this week all is nice as pie , because DM knows people will be listening for his gaffes.

expect normal business to resume at 12.01 pm.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the US equivalent of the Boxing Day sales, coming just after Thanksgiving for them.

Another pointless US import that has no significance over here...

Agreed; utterly pointless.

It seems that every time America farts, it wafts the fumes over here & we get drunk on them!

The way some of those retail zombies behaved defied belief, even by their standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed; utterly pointless.

It seems that every time America farts, it wafts the fumes over here & we get drunk on them!

The way some of those retail zombies behaved defied belief, even by their standards.

Absolutely. The gap between all that Xmas lovey-dovey stuff in the movies and the reality of the greedy, violent selfishness in the shops couldn't be clearer, could it? The hypocrisy is mind-blowing.

In LBC terms, I have to say that I think they banged on about Black Friday far too much. It is not a UK thing, and has only become something because of the media hyping it. LBC et al creating more than reporting, and that's where I wish they'd just shut up.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now the news is reporting DM's apology... very strange way of phrasing it, which makes it sound as if it had happened on a different station.

On Radio 4 as well, pretty much the same as what was said on LBC news and they broadcast the audio of his apology.
  • Options
    goballoongoballoon Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    If I were David Mellor I might be a bit more circumspect about claiming that senior ex-politicians are whiter than white and above suspicion when it comes to the paedophiles enquiry.
    Recent events have shown even the most unlikely people to have dark pasts.
    David allows his personal relationships with these people to colour his opinion which is fine when done privately, but is it appropriate to do it on the radio?

Let's just hope he isn't having to eat his words in public later.

Definitely more circumspect today. Resorting more to "....so who kept the lid on all this?" Or like Manuel ".......I know nothing". But then he is on with Simon Danczuk!
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »
    ID only recommends those he shares a political ideology . SD is not a man of the people.

looks as if for this week all is nice as pie , because DM knows people will be listening for his gaffes.

expect normal business to resume at 12.01 pm.

Iain Dale has proved what he thinks of the general public, or in Tory terms, "plebs" by his actions against the demonstrator when flogging a book.

The political class is all the same.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Full and unreserved apology from Mellor, and the promise of a substantial donation to the cabbies xmas charity appeal.

Well done David.

Heard the first hour and the last 30 minutes. DM couldn't have handled things much better. It definitely helped that he got on with his guest co-host, something that hasn't always been the case. I was looking forward to Livingstone's opening gambit after the 10.00 news which may well have been amusing, but that will have to wait.
  • Options
    Mel O'DramaMel O'Drama Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Actually muslims first arrived in the country in the 18th century, the first mosque in the country was set up in 1889 (when Marks and Spencer was founded) and the first one in London in 1924, so they are a well- established part of British life. Islam being the second biggest religion in the country it is surprising there are not many more.

☆ Talking of Marks and Spencer, Mr Marks was an Eastern European immigrant refugee who spoke no English.

Heaven be praised ... the voice of reason. Thank you Tahiti. :)
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP sympathisers calling LBC sound inarticulate to the point of embarrassment.

It is puzzling given the UKIP love-ins afforded by LBC at every turn.

We are not all born to dazzle, like Gobber.

I don't know what love-ins you mean. Any time I hear UKIP referred to on LBC it's being sneered at. Last night NA was talking about the party. He received an email which was all in block capitals and, before he'd even read it, he started to jeer at the person who'd send it. When he did read it he was shocked and said, "Oh, that's not what I was expecting". The email was from someone complaining about Black Friday (which he had also been talking about). Of course, Abbot had expected it to be from an ignorant thicko UKIP supporter. Says it all.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. The 'gracious' apologetic act this morning was probably the strong advice given to him by his PR agent to mitigate the damage. I don't seriously believe for a moment DM has one gracious bone in his body. The man is a prime arrogant tw*t.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barkes seemed to be hyping up the "Christianity against gay people" thing last night. How tedious of him. ............................

On further scrutiny, Nan's Bible is the King James Version which was completed in 1611 but these days the truth in history is not permitted to interfere with modernists of all types who want to create issues out of nothing. Much of the purported conflict resides in their own heads. Maybe Barkes could take note. Cristo may wish to do likewise.

Strange how he doesn't give the same emphasis to what Islam and Judaism have to say about the subject, isn't it. We're told Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK, so you'd think Bruiser would include its stance.

If Cristo did that, half his programme would be silence.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member

Absolutely right. Mellor often displays an unpleasant side to his character on air. Having read more of the taxi transcript, it's far worse than I originally thought. Mellor's appalling bullying, foul-mouthed pompous tirade should have got him sacked from LBC (if he was still a Minister he'd have had to resign over it). Saying he's sorry just doesn't cut it. More like sorry that he got caught out on this occasion - because I bet it's far from the first time that he's behaved like that.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Absolutely right. Mellor often displays an unpleasant side to his character on air. Having read more of the taxi transcript, it's far worse than I originally thought. Mellor's appalling bullying, foul-mouthed pompous tirade should have got him sacked from LBC (if he was still a Minister he'd have had to resign over it). Saying he's sorry just doesn't cut it. More like sorry that he got caught out on this occasion - because I bet it's far from the first time that he's behaved like that.

If Dale can get away with assaulting an OAP and receiving a police caution without risking his radio career then I think it's unlikely that DM is in any danger.

lets not even start on the disgusting things that Steve Allen says about people on air.
This discussion has been closed.