Options

Alan Henning's wife sleeping with his sister's husband

Comments

• Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    supertalk wrote: »
    Newspapers, journos and news agencies are shameless muck rakers. WHy are they still in business?

Because folks still buy those newspapers in their droves. Principally, I expect, for those sort of stories.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    bozzimacoo wrote: »
    His sister was quoted from a Sun article, by DM. I thought it normal practice from one rag to another.

Quote:
    Barbara Henning, who made a tearful plea for her husband's release before his brutal death, has been living with his brother-in-law since January, the aid worker's sister claimed today.
    The pair had been having an affair since before Mr Henning, a taxi driver from Eccles, Greater Manchester, travelled to Syria last December, according to his sister, Gill Kenyon.

I'm not outraged by it.

This is a grieving sister hurting even more because what is happening between her husband and Alan's wife. Like always there is a hell of a lot more to this than meets the eye. In my line of work I see all too often the complexities of family life which is not apparent on the surface at all.

Everybody loses here. Of course the sister brought the issue out into the open because of her anger and grief.

It is not for us to judge them at all. It is all so very sad.

I wish the DM had chosen not to print. It really is nobodies business but their own.

I wish we could hear no more of this. For myself this will be my last comment on the matter.

I refuse to pass judgement - none of us are saints.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    yes but the point being made was that the public being interested does not make it a public interest story - as in the public has an interest in it such that the public is entitled to be told. Public are interested does not equal "public interest."

Yes, I know what was meant. But if the media used that definition, our newspapers would be very thin indeed. Even the broadsheets are padded out with some pretty pointless rubbish.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    Well, thinking about it, this one falls into a grey area of 'not our business, but perhaps it should be known'.
    As for the public interest - there is an interest in the public being aware of the reality of the situation. It's harsh, but the wife who was cheating has been seen at public tributes/ services. Supported by her lover, who's actually the husband of the deceased's grieving sister.
    Those are the facts and should be borne in mind over any fundraising / future memorial issues.
    We don't know what the relationship was like before they left. Perhaps they were together and leading separate lives? Who knows, who cares!

If she had set up a fund to feed orphans in her husbands name, but the money was used for a holiday in Dubai with an alleged lover, then the public has a right to know. However simply being at a PUBLIC tribute does not mean the public should have a right to know of her alleged infidelity.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say I blame her. Watching the woman who has been publicly playing the grieving widow of your brother, while all the time knowing she was cheating with your husband, must have been difficult to bear.
    Should the DM have made it public knowledge ? Perhaps not, but it's one of those "human interest" stories that helps to sell newspapers. We all read it, didn't we ?

Absolutely it must have been hard for her and I can fully understand from her point of view why she wants the truth to be known. It's pretty low to cheat on your husband whilst he is being held hostage. I don't understand why it's a problem for the daily mail to let the public know about this.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear......this is not good.

Maybe one reason he went off to Syria but i feel sorry for his children. I doubt his sister needed to tell him what he didn't already realise.
  • Options
    Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not really our business. Its sad that her grief is being undermined, .Just because she's had an affair does not mean that the death of her husband would not devestate her.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel for the sister, but she should be thinking about her niece and nephew. They are teenagers and really don't need this kind of crap being thrown about in the media, especially just a few days before Christmas.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I do feel for the sister, but she should be thinking about her niece and nephew. They are teenagers and really don't need this kind of crap being thrown about in the media, especially just a few days before Christmas.
    She needs to think of herself too. This coming out because she has a complete emotional collapse maybe suicide attempt/ success would not help her niece and nephew nor her and any family.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's family shite nothing to do with DM or us imo

Agreed - plenty of people have sex with others outside marriage. It doesn't necessarily mean they no longer love their spouses.

I'm not sitting in judgement on Mrs Henning.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    These people have not chosen to be in the public eye like celebs and politicians. There can be no justification for publishing a story like this.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »

What about his siblings and parents who might feel excluded from memorials because of the presence of this couple? Where's the thought for them?

Really it's not up to their aunt to hide her distress it's up to their mother not to have slept with their uncle and caused it in the first place. It's not the publicity that's the problem. It's the affair that tore the family apart.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    These people have not chosen to be in the public eye like celebs and politicians. There can be no justification for publishing a story like this.

Actually she is. The sister is complaining about their continual presence at PUBLIC memorials and causes for her brothers death which mean that she is excluded because obviously she can't share a platform with them. Part of her issue seems to be Mrs Henning posing in a public persona as the mourner in chief and pushing his family aside.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not really our business. Its sad that her grief is being undermined, .Just because she's had an affair does not mean that the death of her husband would not devestate her.

Agreed. Isn't there a similar situation with Lee Rigby, whereby he has a grieving Widow, but also his new Girlfriend too...
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2882260/Widow-ISIS-beheading-victim-Alan-Henning-having-affair-brother-law-held-hostage-terrorists-Syria.html

It's a bit crap of the DM to put this in especially at Christmas, but I think it was poor showing of Alan's wife appearing on the telly when she was at it with his sister's husband.

It's a bit Jeremy Kyle.

Thank God the poor guy didn't know about it.
    I do not know the people involved and I do not care what these consenting adults do to and with one another's genitals.

It is not news.

But typical of the daily mail to be in the gutter.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually she is. The sister is complaining about their continual presence at PUBLIC memorials and causes for her brothers death which mean that she is excluded because obviously she can't share a platform with them. Part of her issue seems to be Mrs Henning posing in a public persona as the mourner in chief and pushing his family aside.

Of course she can share a platform with them. Nothing on this earth would keep me from a sibling's funeral or tribute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She needs to think of herself too. This coming out because she has a complete emotional collapse maybe suicide attempt/ success would not help her niece and nephew nor her and any family.

She's doing plenty of thinking about herself and not much about Alan Henning's children who are vulnerable and certainly don't need family business spread all over the papers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Of course she can share a platform with them. Nothing on this earth would keep me from a sibling's funeral or tribute.

So? you are not her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's doing plenty of thinking about herself
    So she should
    not much about Alan Henning's children who are vulnerable and certainly don't need family business spread all over the papers .
    How do you know she hasn't. It is probably thinking of them that has held her back for so long. As I said , it will do Alan Henning's children no good if this gets spread over the papers because she has been driven to more drastic measures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So she should

How do you know she hasn't. It is probably thinking of them that has held her back for so long. As I said , it will do Alan Henning's children no good if this gets spread over the papers because she has been driven to more drastic measures.

So running to the DM is the lesser of two evils? Her distress could surely have been alleviated by confiding in friends or counsellors. It really wasn't necessary to run to the DM and open up the children's wounds again unless she's taking a spiteful revenge -and making a few quid at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So running to the DM is the lesser of two evils?
    Going public as hard as it probably was, would I imagine be very very much the lesser of two evils.
    Her distress could surely have been alleviated by confiding in friends or counsellors.
    If this story is true I have very very little doubt that confiding in a few friends or a counsellor would have been at best papering over the cracks if that. .
    It really wasn't necessary to run to the DM and open up the children's wounds again unless she's taking a spiteful revenge -and making a few quid at the same time.
    It might have been very necessary for her to speak out and stop what she sees as the pretence about something so painful to her. .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    She's not getting my sympathy. This happens to thousands of people and they don't run to the press with their misery, simply to gain sympathy. She's making a fool of a man who died in the most horrific way. Downright nasty.

She isn't asking for sympathy nor making a fool out of anyone. The story was going to hit the press at the weekend. Hundreds of people from Eccles had contacted the press to say what they knew. Alan's sister was approached to give her view of things rather than the press print their own story. We all know what the Sun are like when they are given the freedom to make their own stories up. We only have to think of the filth they wrote about Hillsborough to confirm what utter scum they are.

If she wanted to do this out of spite, she'd have done it back in October and made the situation unbearable for the wife. She didn't. She maintained her dignity throughout in the face of unbelievable pressure.

I'm sure she won't lose any sleep over not receiving your sympathy. Please do not talk nonsense about a person you know almost nothing about.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Henning wrote: »
    She isn't asking for sympathy nor making a fool out of anyone. The story was going to hit the press at the weekend. Hundreds of people from Eccles had contacted the press to say what they knew. Alan's sister was approached to give her view of things rather than the press print their own story. We all know what the Sun are like when they are given the freedom to make their own stories up. We only have to think of the filth they wrote about Hillsborough to confirm what utter scum they are.

If she wanted to do this out of spite, she'd have done it back in October and made the situation unbearable for the wife. She didn't. She maintained her dignity throughout in the face of unbelievable pressure.

I'm sure she won't lose any sleep over not receiving your sympathy. Please do not talk nonsense about a person you know almost nothing about.

Yes, I agree with you.

It looks like she was caught between a rock and a hard place, a horrible situation, and did what she thought was best. Nobody should condem her for that.

She certainly has my sympathies, for this, for losing her brother in the most horrendous way, knowing also what was going on, and on top of that, her husband.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going public as hard as it probably was, would I imagine be very very much the lesser of two evils.
    If this story is true I have very very little doubt that confiding in a few friends or a counsellor would have been at best papering over the cracks if that. . It might have been very necessary for her to speak out and stop what she sees as the pretence about something so painful to her. .

What a load of b*****ks!!

This is the problem - people buying into and investing their thoughts and feelings into other people's lives and dramas. Why oh why do people do this?
  • Options
    Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are random folk contacting the media on something which is not their business? What were they hoping to achieve, to publicly undermine the widow's grief?

Yeah her grief may have been tinged with guilt, but I do think it is genuine. People are not one dimensional.