Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if you're a male Haredi Jew, or male Sikh, having a beard is
    a requirement of your religion. I presume Mrs. Jew or Mrs. Sikh likes
    beards as well. :)

I think its only the orthodox Jews who have beards
    the more conservative ones grow them on certain occasions like they don't shave for a month if their father dies
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Every supermarket ad that seems to consist of a load of annoying, chirpy actors going out of their tiny minds over just how cheap everything is.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    Is that the one with the weird dark eyes? they stare right through you.
    grauniad wrote: »
    Oral B. on again just now, and I want to throw something.

Christina Bailey, she used to be in Hollyoaks years ago. :)
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sick of all the charity ads, if we gave to all the charities that held out their begging bowls, we'd all need charity support too. They have shops all over the high streets, and they even invade our houses with their guilt-tripping tripe... and £19... why do the Salvation Army ask for £19? Is it because it's less than £20 and therefore an advertising trick to make us feel like we're giving away a much smaller amount? Oh well, one of the charities claims this that and the other happens because they have no choice, well I do have a choice, and I chose something else. I chose not to donate, and why did I do that, because they'll still be try to guilt-trip me into giving more tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that, and for all the days until I pop off to my own personal barbecue.
  • Options
    ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vodafone advert with all those t**ts singing the bloody 'Let It Go' song! ARGH MY EARS! >:(

This blooming song is everywhere, enough.my ears are bleeding >:(
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just seen this year's Red Bull Christmas advert, my vote goes to that. I'm an animal lover, so instead of finding it funny, I find the ad quite depressing. "Oh, look, the turkey failed to escape and is now dead. Hahahaha!".

As another poster said, yes it's just a cartoon, and yes it's just meant to be darkly humorous, but I just don't like it. :blush:
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy Power, Lucky Poo,:o a large pink birds drops dirty great dollops of pink poo over everyone, including the girl's ice cream which she then eats.:o
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I hate that grouse advert that sponsers Deal Or No Deal. >:(
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina Bailey, she used to be in Hollyoaks years ago. :)

She is strangely excitable in the advert. It's for toothpaste FGS. Toothpaste is not exciting!.:D
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The holiday ads have started, and the Oak Furniture land sale.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate that grouse advert that sponsers Deal Or No Deal. >:(

I know, what happened to the actual GROUSE that we loved in the older adverts?:(
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sale adverts are in full swing now, I'm sure they don't usually appear until after the shops have closed tomorrow. Only the supermarkets are still showing Christmas adverts.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oak Furniture Land Winter Sale. PISS OFF!! >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    The Lloyd bank garage/diner loan one. It's not that bad, but it's on so often at the minute.

She can shove her sausage roll where the sun don't shine!

I know i hate that advert too, the smug way she keeps saying 'Mel says' again and again, why didn't Mel just do the bloody advert then?
  • Options
    MimiMoonlightMimiMoonlight Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    So the Boxing Day Sales have arrived, with Amazon's starting on the afternoon of Christmas Day...

Also, can someone please tell that woman on the Ferrero Rocher advert that they are NOT covered in 'little pieces of pure delight'? Agh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Bring back the ambassadors reception! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7gAxsfK5U

I loved that advert too "With these Rocher you are really spoiling us!' :)
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galalala, Galalala, Hey-ey-ey, Biiiiingo.

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Bog off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4Dman wrote: »
    The composer must be raking it in with all these ads. A few random minor chords played for 30-60 seconds. Must be the same person who does the same stuff for the blubby reunions in TV programmes. >:(
    Maybe though it's a library CD: 'Mawkish Piano Melodies vol. 5'

Either that, or "Take a song. Any song. Slow it down and make someone whine it out like a dirge."

What's next? Bat Out of Hell?
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The sale adverts are in full swing now, I'm sure they don't usually appear until after the shops have closed tomorrow. Only the supermarkets are still showing Christmas adverts.

sales and holiday ads grr!
  • Options
    johnanjohnan Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made my point about all the charity adverts before, however today I have seen just how bad they have became this year.

Can't remember the charity (and if I did I wouldn't give them the free publicity) that had a voiceover that is basically the following:-

(Video of Starving African Child drinking dirty water #1)
    Voice Over:
    Today this child will have to drink this dirty water. He doesn't want to but he has no choice.
    (Video Fades to black with message saying 'Has no Choice'. Video then fades back in with Starving African Child drinking dirty water #2)
    Voice Over: Today this child will have to walk 5 miles just to drink this dirty water. He has no choice.
    (Video fades to black with message saying 'Has no Choice'. Video then fades back in with African mother feeding baby dirty water)
    Voice Over:
    This mother doesn't want to provide her infant with water that could cuse blindness or death but she has not choice.
    (Video now has African mother looking up and directly at the camera with pleading eyes)
    Voice Over:
    BUT YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE.

At this point I just turned over as I will not be blackmailed or guilted into donating via an advert (or as they call them 'an appeal').

Don't get me wrong I am not against charity. And I'm also not against charities advertising on TV, but I am against the current trend of the last 5 year or so of using emotional blackmail.

Ten years ago a charity providing clean drinking water would have ran an advert that was simple, factual and honest with a voice over calmly stating who they are, why they want a donation to build drinking wells and then giving the number to call if you wished to make to a donation.

Agreed, these "ads" are now self defeating, but still exploit the vulnerable.
  • Options
    Sadly All SeeinSadly All Seein Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why do people think twee acoustic covers are a good idea?
    Specifically the one with "You're The One that I Want" where the guy sings "You'd better shape up cause you need a man" :mad: I'm a man and I'm offended

It is funny how after 30 years of women singing that song with such enthusiasm and feeling so empowered when singing it how now it's aimed at them how pissed off they suddenly are at the lyrics and what they mean
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    That recent womens anti leaking pad ad with that ridiculous song "ohh make my heart go uppsa daisy". God, imagine having these thoughts for a bloody piss and blood sanitary pad.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a single ad but a trend that happens every Christmas. Now Christmas is almost here and that money grab is nearly done it's time for the stores to start advertising their Boxing Day sales, NEXT are open at 6am! Their greed knows no bounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is funny how after 30 years of women singing that song with such enthusiasm and feeling so empowered when singing it how now it's aimed at them how pissed off they suddenly are at the lyrics and what they mean

I'm not sure this is a sexism issue at all really:
    I think there's a subtle change of emphasis by changing the gender references. Plus the slowing down of the song (which is originally an upbeat, cheery number).

Originally the lyrics are "you'd better shape up, 'cause I need a man" - ie she's the one acknowledging she wants a partner, in the context of the song it makes sense, it's a playful, flirty line basically saying 'get your act together, because I want you to be my boyfriend'. Hardly offensive, really.

The change of emphasis to 'you'd better shape up, 'cause you need a man', makes it accusatory all of a sudden and the meaning does change.. Now it can be read as "you need to make an 'effort' because you are obliged to have a boyfriend. And... Gasp! You don't at the moment. So 'shape up'." if it was "you'd better shape up, 'cause you need a girl" I think that would be as bad!
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Can I nominate that Richmond sausages advert where the Oirish boys go home to mammies for their sausages. And being Oirish of course they have to play drums and the tin whistle on the bus on the way home.
This discussion has been closed.