Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the BBC's current taxpayer funded hegemony is good news for the Corporation. It will surely soon be leading to squeals of outrage from the commercial sector and encourage those nutters who want to destroy the "ratings chasing BBC" or at least decimate its funding.

ITV needs to pull its finger out and compete.
    I think ITV are playing a game, deliberately weakening their schedules, knowing their ratings will tank, hoping for BBC to be nobbled. ITV is run by astute businessmen. The main channel wouldn't be in this mess if they didn't want it to be.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    The build up to the Eastenders 30th Anniversary begins tonight with the first showing of what Dom has described as the creepy trailer.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Maybe, but BBC One's show would never have been as low as 1.82m, even if every match was 0-0. Absolutely no chance. And ITV would never have got 4.28m, not even with the crazy results we had on Saturday.

commercial broadcasters don't need football to do what it does on the bbc.

An advertiser buys a specific audience (such as men/abc's etc) so commercial broadcasters only need to care about how many of the audience they are selling against are watching. male audiences can be as much as x10 more expensive than other audiences which is why sports rights are worth more to commercial broadcasters.

i think channel five will be the ones going hard for PL highlights, they've got international backing and resources and it would fit easily into their schedule with football league.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the round up, Dancc. :)

The +1 figure of 400,000 for Selfridge seems high when its total is only 3.75m. Suggests quite some crossover with Tango/Halifax, and highlights the stupidity of launching it last night, when there's an open goal with the film awards in two weeks.

Someone trying to maximise Selfridge's ratings wouldn't have launched it last night.

Then again, someone trying to maximise the ratings for Family Fortunes wouldn't be scheduling it to start fifteen minutes into Midwife and Top Gear.

And someone trying to maximise the night's ratings wouldn't be starting the evening with a variation on a theme of BBC One's Sunday night flop, Play it Again (celebs learning new skills), albeit on a shiny floor,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I really do think that if Birds of a Feather was on BBC1, it would be getting at least another 1.5-2 million viewers. It just seems that comedies do a lot better on BBC than they do on ITV. It's a shame as I'm finding this series of BOAF much better then last years one.
  • Options
    Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Those are great officials for all Sunday programs. Nice to see CTM still over 10m as there did seem to be some doubt about that. Anybody like to speculate why SOAH is gaining viewers across the series?

Maybe because Call the Midwife's return has encouraged more viewers to tune in earlier than 8pm? Or maybe people are genuinely enjoying it, and word is getting round.

Personally I've really loved SOAH - I'm not saying it's hilarious, but then I don't think the original ever was. It does, however, make me laugh, and it's just a nice show to watch of an evening.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    The build up to the Eastenders 30th Anniversary begins tonight with the first showing of what Dom has described as the creepy trailer.
    Yep. Right after tonights episode. Wonder if it will give a time In the trailer?
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Yep. Right after tonights episode. Wonder if it will give a time In the trailer?

.... and maybe some of the background music will be from Lucy's jewellery box
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    But here lies the problem. Outside audience share ITV is not competiting with the BBC - they're competiting with the other commercial networks. And, other than Gogglebox and Celebrity Big Brother, the other networks are not really showing any sign of overtaking ITV long term. So ITV will just continue the same strategy as it makes them the moat profitable of the commercial networks. Unless either a multi-national company takes them over or OFCOM steps in and tells them to pull their finger out or else then I can't see anything changing.

This is absolutely right.

The one set of figures that nobody on here has made any reference to is advertising revenues.

Audiences may be falling significantly but as of yet I have seen nothing to suggest advertising revenues are being adversely affected to any significant degree - indeed I've seen nothing to suggest they are even falling at all.

We still have the conundrum that in 2014 ITV's share of advertising revenues rose, despite its share of commercial impacts falling.

On the face of it, up to now, Crozier is playing a blinder - cutting costs whilst maintaining (if not increasing) advertising revenues.

Of course this may not continue - maybe at some stage the falling audiences will feed through to falling advertising revenues. But we aren't seeing any signs yet.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Is there anyway to check if that was the case?

Sorry, check if what was the case?
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »

I doubt it, they wouldn't do that before schedules are confirmed. If it's this which found when I was looking on iPlayer, the title suggests its a trailer for the whole week. I wonder if it will just give the anniversary date or maybe "anniversary week starting 16th February".
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent night for BBC last night both channels doing very well. I'm surprised BBC One aren't trying another comedy in SOAH's slot, it might not to as well but it'll still be helped by that strong schedule. Something like Matt Lucas' Pompidou which seems like it would fit better on a Sunday than a weeknight.

I knew Call the Midwife would bounce back this week, glad it's back above 9m, and that's Last Tango's highest episode, narrowly beating episode two of the second series which got 6.30m/27.6%. The share was still lower though given it's now airing on a busier night.

Officials for last Sunday:
    18:30 - Countryfile - 7.10m (+0.09m)
    19:30 - Still Open All Hours - 7.62m (+0.50m)
    20:00 - Call the Midwife - 10.15m (+1.84m)
    21:00 - Last Tango in Halifax - 7.56m (+1.32m)

(Foyle's War didn't make the HD top 10.)

That timeshift is bigger than all but one last year (not including Christmas) but I can't help but be disappointed by that Call the Midwife rating, still a great rating but not up to its usual standards, not for this early in the series anyway. Last Tango just short of its previous high, 7.60m for the episode mentioned above.

A repeat of older LOTSW might be an idea there are almost 300 episodes to show I bet it would still get 3 to 4 million
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    According to Gordon Rayner it has 'emerged' the programme is likely to be shown next month.

Thanks. One thing's for certain, the controversy over the delay has ensured stronger ratings than if it had gone out on schedule. The royals have scored an own goal I think.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really impressed with the BBC Sunday night schedule. It skews older but that is proving to be a wise decision. Really have enjoyed Still Open All Hours too. Pity the Beeb don't have another family comedy they can put there in its lace ow it is finished. Perfect placement by schedulers.
    ITV have fallen apart. The weekend needs a complete overhaul. Over the last 5 years or so the channel has been gradually eroded and it is a pale imitation of its former self. Changes need to be made sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    They've been in crisis since the World Cup. What was their last success - either a show launching well and maintaining a strong figure or returning well and maintaining a strong figure? Series one of Broadchurch?

Cilla I guess and that was a one-off.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Really impressed with the BBC Sunday night schedule. It skews older but that is proving to be a wise decision. Really have enjoyed Still Open All Hours too. Pity the Beeb don't have another family comedy they can put there in its lace ow it is finished. Perfect placement by schedulers.
    ITV have fallen apart. The weekend needs a complete overhaul. Over the last 5 years or so the channel has been gradually eroded and it is a pale imitation of its former self. Changes need to be made sooner rather than later.

Also worth pointing out that BBC1's Sunday night schedule skews old so isn't going after ITV's ad friendly demos. So ITV should be happy right? The problem is ITV's schedule has demos but not volume. They used to be better at getting both regularly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    It was a big title I thought, and a check on IMDB confirms it. We watched it and enjoyed it. 1.35m is a little on the low side bearing in mind C4 and C5 have great success with film premieres here - and obviously those contain commercials. So I don't quite know what happened there. It should in theory have done closer to 2m.

I think part of the problem was that people aren't expecting film premieres at 6pm on BBC Two on a Sunday, especially sci-fi.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    I doubt it, they wouldn't do that before schedules are confirmed. If it's this which found when I was looking on iPlayer, the title suggests its a trailer for the whole week. I wonder if it will just give the anniversary date or maybe "anniversary week starting 16th February".
    Perhaps there will be two trailers?
    I would like ''EastEnders Goes LIVE across 5 nights from 16th February 8:00pm on BBC1' something eye catching and then perhaps

It would be nice to the BBC to show 'Tomorrow on EastEnders at...' for 1 week only too but I do doubt it.
    Markynotts wrote: »
    .... and maybe some of the background music will be from Lucy's jewellery box
    Yeah it could be.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,036
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Sorry, check if what was the case?

If ITV used up all their allotted time for commercials between 6pm and 11pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How many people use ITV Player? Do they release user stats? In the odd occasion I have used it in the past I have found the interface to be appalling; don't even think it was in HD.

Other than via-the-TV (which is captured by BARB as part of timeshift), we're rather in the dark about ITV Player's stats. ITV are tight-lipped, and the inevitable inference that we draw is that it is much less used than iPlayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Call The Midwife got its biggest timeshifts for series 1. Surprised they haven't matched that in later series while Silent Witness and Death In Paradise saw theirs grow in successive series. Still Open does not add much. I'm surprised how low its timeshifts are.

Still Open will skew very old and it faces weak competition on ITV; I submit these as reasons for the low timeshift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    FA Cup TV Replays:

Tuesday 3rd Feb
    Man Utd v Cambridge (7:45pm) BT Sport

Wednesday 4th Feb
    Bolton v Liverpool (7:45pm) BBC One

On the FA Cup thread the majority opinion seemed to be that the BBC should show Liverpool but would show Man U (assuming they had first pick).
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [highlight]In the DS Ratings Predictions Game it's Challenge Week, which means no special and every show carries the same weight. But how will that affect the scores?

Will Midsomer Murders kill off people's chance or will Churchill's farewell result in players welcoming high scores? Could Eat Well for Less result in people scoring more on the board and could The Magna Carta put some people Bang to Rights? The Great Sewing Bee could stitch up a few while others may make The Jump and crash land...

So what are you waiting for? Simply click [/highlight]HERE[highlight], hit reply, delete the quote marks and get predicting!

Best of luck and thank you to all those who take part.

:)[/highlight]
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a screening of The Casual Vacancy tonight.

"@caterinos2000: The BBC One adaptation of @jk_rowling THE CASUAL VACANCY confirmed to transmit on SUNDAY 15TH FEBRUARY 9.00PM"
  • Options
    jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Talking about ITV bringing back DOI, I'm surprised C4/C5 didn't move for it. Could be a solid 4m rater for them.
This discussion has been closed.