Options

Campaign to bring Waitrose to Aberdeen

Comments

• Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    So are you saying the wealthy will only shop in M&S and need Waitrose as an alternative? :confused:

Waitrose sells the same products as everybody else, Heinz, Cadbury whatever just they charge idiots more who think it is better when it comes from the same factories.
    Superior???????

They sell the same stuff as the other supermarkets that's why they price match Tesco if they didn't sell the same products they couldn't price match could they?

You think a tin of Heinz soup from Waitrose is somehow better than a tin of Heinz soup from B&M?

How can Waitrose sell the same products as the other supermarkets at inflated prices and price match those products with other supermarkets at the same time? :confused:

Surely it would either be one or the other....

The main difference I think between Waitrose and the other major supermarkets is they sell a wide range of "cook's ingredients" as standard that the others don't. On a "per product" basis on branded products there is little difference in prices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Waitrose are no better or worse at screwing over suppliers than any other supermarket.

You've just bought into the perception that what they sell is automatically better because it's more expensive, or because the shop is a bit tidier.

We've moved to a small village with a local butcher, fishmonger and green grocer. The produce they supply is so much better than anything you'll get in a supermarket it's almost funny.

A lot of Waitrose' fresh products come direct from their own farm when in season, so in that case they would be "screwing" themselves...

Leckford Farm
    Leckford Farm is a working farm producing arable crops including high quality bread-making wheat which is used to make a range of Leckford label flour. The farm also supplies milk, apples, pears, apple juice, cider, free range eggs and mushrooms as well as Leckford free range chickens to Waitrose branches.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about a campaign to bring Waitrose to Northern Ireland?

I might start one.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    John Lewis Partnership have confirmed that they do plan to open in Aberdeen once they have opened at depot in Northern Scotland this would serve Aberdeen and Dundee etc. It's not a question of why, it's a question of when.

Then why the "campaign" if it is going to happen?
    You started the abuse by called me a "Snob" that really is the equivalent of spitting on someone where I am from. I would rather you called me a C*** but not decided for far worse.

Really? I live in Aberdeen and have never heard anyone say that. Ludicrous statement.
    No, that's what Yorkshire tried before the Jimmy Saville. Aberdeen has the most amount of millionaires outside of London most people get paid big bucks up here. Not down the pits and Margaret Thatcher would agree with me on that one.

Most people get paid "big bucks"? really? Yes the average wage is higher than the reat of Scotland but think of the Oil Execs on £300K, that is skewing the figures somewhat.

Try going to Torry, Northfield, Middlefield, Sandilands etc and look for people earning big bucks.
    Clearly your being pedantic by completely ignoring own brand stuff which makes up most of their stores. Waitrose go and pick the best vegetables and put them in their stores. The weird shaped ones go to Tesco.

Nonsense,
    It's common knowledge, surely not. Just like saying that a lot of people on low incomes go to McDonald's. I am stating their target market.

Again, no more people on low incomes go to McDonalds than people in other social economic brackets. You seem to have a rather fanciful view on life in your home city.

So many daft comments by 1 poster in 1 thread.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Then why the "campaign" if it is going to happen?

Really? I live in Aberdeen and have never heard anyone say that. Ludicrous statement.

Most people get paid "big bucks"? really? Yes the average wage is higher than the reat of Scotland but think of the Oil Execs on £300K, that is skewing the figures somewhat.

Try going to Torry, Northfield, Middlefield, Sandilands etc and look for people earning big bucks.

Nonsense,

Again, no more people on low incomes go to McDonalds than people in other social economic brackets. You seem to have a rather fanciful view on life in your home city.

So many daft comments by 1 poster in 1 thread.

I don't see what is wrong with having pride in my home city. I don't earn a lot of money and the area I live in is not posh at all. I also live in a council house so I don't see why someone called me a snob. There is well off areas and run down areas in every city it's just in the well off areas of Aberdeen people do earn a lot for example Beildside where royalty have been born, much more than other places down south who have Waitrose like rough ends of London.

Bieldside and Cults are the wealthiest area's of Scotland where millionaires and billionaires have mansions. Princess Diana's maternal Grandmother was born here.
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a campaign to bring Waitrose to Northern Ireland?

I might start one.

I wish they would - just so I can see what all the Waitrose fuss is about.

Then again, I also wish Aldi would open in NI
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer Poundland for the more esoteric retail experience.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    I wish they would - just so I can see what all the Waitrose fuss is about.

Then again, I also wish Aldi would open in NI

You don't have either in NI?? What shops do you have there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what is wrong with having pride in my home city. I don't earn a lot of money and the area I live in is not posh at all. I also live in a council house so I don't see why someone called me a snob. There is well off areas and run down areas in every city it's just in the well off areas of Aberdeen people do earn a lot for example Beildside where royalty have been born, much more than other places down south who have Waitrose like rough ends of London.

Bieldside and Cults are the wealthiest area's of Scotland where millionaires and billionaires have mansions. Princess Diana's maternal Grandmother was born here.

You have totally glossed over my points.

Why is being called a snob as bad as being spat at?

Why do you think "everyone in Aberdeen is on mega bucks"? The fact you claim to live in a council house and have a poorly paid job some what contradicts that claim.

Why do you think only the poor eat at McDonalds? Judging by the cars you see in most McD car parks I think you'd find a large cross section of society in there.

And what the hell has the fact Princess Diana's grandmother was born there got to do with anything?
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a non-Aberdonian... I think Aberdeen is actually a nice city... but it could be made even nicer, if the popular and political will is there. City planners and councillors need a vision.

The shopping is pretty good and I do like Union Square. Union Street and the Gardens have a lot of potential as the centrepiece of a regeneration of the city centre. On topic specifically, having a Waitrose would be an asset to upscaling the retailing presence in Aberdeen.

What Aberdeen does lack, compare to Edinburgh or Glasgow, is major world-class tourist attractions in the city itself. I also feel having a cemetery in the middle of the city centre is not conducive to its redevelopment but I don't think much can be done about that :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As he didn't answer and subsequent posts were deleted I will ask the OP to answer the questions and not give me a "dunno" answer like last time.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Oil capital of Europe, The most millionaires outside London, Really successful John Lewis store, yet no Waitrose. .

If that's all it has to offer then the place doesn't tick enough boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As he didn't answer and subsequent posts were deleted I will ask the OP to answer the questions and not give me a "dunno" answer like last time.

Sorry, but I don't give answers to people who have personal attacks on members of my family. Just because DS have deleted the comments where you called my uncle useless and greedy does not mean they were not posted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I don't give answers to people who have personal attacks on members of my family, even though they have not met them.

What personal attacks would this be then?

3 simple questions to be answered. Bit of an attention seeker I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What personal attacks would this be then?

3 simple questions to be answered. Bit of an attention seeker I think.

You called my uncle a useless, greedy waste of space and that the reason why Aberdeen is so rubbish is down to him.

I don't know what gives you the right to make comments about my family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You called my uncle useless, greedy waste of space and that the reason why Aberdeen is so rubbish is down to him.

Really? Aberdeen is a mess due to the council as a whole. Kindly point me to the post calling your uncle those things?

Post 52 loses you any credibility you had by the way. Bringing Savile into a discussion on supermarkets indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? Aberdeen is a mess due to the council as a whole. Kindly point me to the post calling your uncle those things?

Post 52 loses you any credibility you had by the way. Bringing Savile into a discussion on supermarkets indeed.

Having the post deleted does not mean that you did not post it. This forum is made worse my malicious people like you. I have reported you for this, when the post was posted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having the post deleted does not mean that you did not post it.

Nice edit, pity i reported it before you did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice edit, pity i reported it before you did.

I reported your comment when it was posted and DS are investigating it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reported your comment when it was posted and DS are investigating it.

Oh no, please, not the crack DS investigation squad.:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh no, please, not the crack DS investigation squad.:D:D

I like how you feel safe behind your computer screen thinking it's ok to call other forum members families names even though you have never met them. Rather calling me or someone who actually posts on here well it's cowardly and your a coward. Say it to my face next time and you may get a surprise.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/company-news/disappointing-sales-figures-for-scottish-john-lewis-stores.115859614

Things not the best for John Lewis in Scotland at the moment so don't get your trolley wheels oiled yet.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, it's common knowledge. Waitrose and M&S go to the farmers and take the best class 1 veg to their stores and whatever's left goes to the other supermarkets.

Google it. ;-)

Ironically, I think fruit and veg is Waitrose's weakest spot.

I'm eating a Waitrose Cox's apple as I post, and it tastes of absolutely nothing. Like polystyrene. Sainsbury's is better.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/company-news/disappointing-sales-figures-for-scottish-john-lewis-stores.115859614

Things not the best for John Lewis in Scotland at the moment so don't get your trolley wheels oiled yet.

Where's "Sloane Road"?

I think he means "Sloane Square" :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Ironically, I think fruit and veg is Waitrose's weakest spot.

I'm eating a Waitrose Cox's apple as I post, and it tastes of absolutely nothing. Like polystyrene. Sainsbury's is better.

My wife says the same.

We have a Waitrose @ 5 miles away. Whilst we go to Waitrose occasionally my wife much prefers Morrisons, which is closer to where we live, for their fruit & veg.