Options

PM telling MPs to ignore their constituents!

Comments

• Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    We managed to trade with everyone before we joined the EEC in 1973 so I see no reason why we wouldn't post Brexit.

Trade yes, but there's no guarantee that the playing field will be level - a big concern for farmers among others
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Trade yes, but there's no guarantee that the playing field will be level - a big concern for farmers among others

There is no guarantee it won't be level bearing in mind the EU runs a very healthy trade surplus with the UK. If the EU wishes to impose tariffs etc on the UK post Brexit then so be it and it will get the same tariffs imposed on it.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but farming is about 4% of the economy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Yes but farming is about 4% of the economy.

So farmers should cross their fingers and risk their livelihoods for a perceived greater good should they?

Dream on. Minus the guarantees that come with the European agriculture policy I'd expect the vast majority to play it safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no guarantee it won't be level bearing in mind the EU runs a very healthy trade surplus with the UK. If the EU wishes to impose tariffs etc on the UK post Brexit then so be it and it will get the same tariffs imposed on it.

There's no guarantees either way and with a possible referendum likely to be on us before England are on their way home having stuffed up in the footy this summer, not much time for such concerns to be addressed.
    I can't see people gambling with their livelihoods if they have questions. I wouldn't. Would you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So farmers should cross their fingers and risk their livelihoods for a perceived greater good should they?

Dream on. Minus the guarantees that come with the European agriculture policy I'd expect the vast majority to play it safe.

Why assume they'd be worse off, the UK would be at liberty to make similar payments to farmers outside the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why assume they'd be worse off, the UK would be at liberty to make similar payments to farmers outside the EU.

I'm not assuming anything. The point is the farmers know what the current system offers them. They've had zero assurances what the alternative offers.

Wouldn't you want assurances before opting out bearing in mind how easily farms can go under?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouroboros wrote: »
    Most MPs do once they get elected and that's not just confined to the Tories they all like to get back too snouts in the trough as soon as possible.
    Promising you the earth near election day but that is ok because the general public cannot remember 7 days ago. The politicians know this and exploit it.

Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Promising you the earth near election day but that is ok because the general public cannot remember 7 days ago. The politicians know this and exploit it.

Rinse and repeat.

Insulting the intelligence of the entire electorate is pretty juvenile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not assuming anything. The point is the farmers know what the current system offers them. They've had zero assurances what the alternative offers.

Wouldn't you want assurances before opting out bearing in mind how easily farms can go under?

Well as every main party is determined to remain in who were expecting to give them assurances?. The idea post Brexit that the UK farming industry will collapse without the CAP is just scaremongering.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member

It is quite a straightforward decision. Do you want to be part of an expanding and more centrist EU with more powers being transferred from member states and the UK paying very large sums of money to subsidise other member states in what is basically overseas aid or do you want to be an independent country that is able to make its own decisions and laws without 27 other members saying if it can or not?

The UK could only make decisions on its own if it were outside the single European market. And if it were outside the single market a large number of companies, a large number of employees and a lot of external investment would be adversely affected.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The counsel of desperate man who has boxed himself into a corner.
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Insulting the intelligence of the entire electorate is pretty juvenile.

History has proven it.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Like lightening, the Tory cavalry try to turn a thread about Cameron into a thread about Labour. 5/10 for effort, 1/10 for effectiveness, 10/10 for loyalty.

Sadly predictable isn't it.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe the EU would have a bigger problem if Britain gave farming subsidies larger than the EU currently do.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What can I say? :D
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no such thing as the British constitution, LakieLady, its just an invention of the British establishment. They do as they like.

Not in the sense that there is a US constitution, true, but it is made up of various elements including statutes, common law, parliamentary procedures and standing orders, codes of practice and all sorts of other odds and sods.

Or at least it was when I got my Brit Con o-level.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouroboros wrote: »
    Google is you friend and I am not your PA do the research yourself, I did.

Usually the answer of someone with something to hide, and true in this case.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets ventilate and weigh-up the arguments but please don't just let newspapers and the media make up our minds for us. They all have axes to grind. As regards trade, yes, we used to be world leaders and also in manufacturing. That is no longer the case today, like it or not. So to pretend that we can still dictate to the rest of the world, let alone the EU, is nonsense. Be glad that we still do have friends out there, but be aware that if we turn on them and reject them they will reciprocate and turn on us. The name of the game must be co-operation and compromise otherwise we are heading for chaos and a very dark place. Our children will never forgive us.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Thought most MPs already ignored their constituents except when money or votes are involved.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I just find it funny that the Tory fanboys and fan girls cannot abide any negativity about the Conservatives and have to deflect. It's back to the old 3 point defence - attack tho OP, discredit the source and then deflect on to Labour. Quite sweet that the strategy hasn't changed over the years.

So who should MPs take the most notice of
    a) Their leader
    b) Party activists
    c) Their constituency party
    d) Their constituency electorate?
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    a) Their leader
    b) Party activists

e) their own conscience
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    a) Their leader
    b) Party activists

MPs are supposed to do what is best regardless of any of the above.

They are representatives, not delegates.
  • Options
    OuroborosOuroboros Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually the answer of someone with something to hide, and true in this case.

Interesting concept, so what am I hiding exactly?