Options

Who is the most famous celeb in the world?

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Up till he died I'd say it was definitely Muhammad Ali. Now, probably Christiano Ronaldo or Messi or Usain Bolt.

I hadn't a clue who Messi was until I searched on Google Images. I don't watch football and yet I totally know who Christiano Ronaldo is though. I'm not sure that many people around the world will know who Usain Bolt is. I had no idea until I read reports about him after seeing him in the Virgin adverts.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoffrey from Rainbow

:D possibly,but my first thought was Paul McCartney.
  • Options
    Matthew_Thomas2Matthew_Thomas2 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Pam St Clement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Michael Jackson dead is still more famous than anyone else alive. He used to sell out stadiums in countries where no other Western artist ever toured.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xuryxx wrote: »
    Taylor Swift

Definitely not, my mum wouldn't know who she is and you're not really (really) well known unless my mum has heard of you (she lives under a rock).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xuryxx wrote: »
    Taylor Swift

Yeah, she'll be very, very well known with a lot of school kids and 20 somethings out there. Maybe even a lot of 30 somethings as well. I'd say she could be very high up on the list.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeah, she'll be very, very well known with a lot of school kids and 20 somethings out there. Maybe even a lot of 30 somethings as well. I'd say she could be very high up on the list.

The original question was most famous in the world, few of the suggestions meet that criterion. There are over 1200 million in India and even more in China. How many of those will have heard of any of the names suggested? It needs worldwide recognition in all age groups.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If every famous person is regarded as a "celebrity" these days then of course it's the Queen. No one else mentioned has been as well known for so long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The original question was most famous in the world, few of the suggestions meet that criterion. There are over 1200 million in India and even more in China. How many of those will have heard of any of the names suggested? It needs worldwide recognition in all age groups.

How many celebrities (singers/TV presenters etc) will have visited every single country/area of the world and be very well known to all generations? I mentioned some singers because they'll have visited loads of countries when touring and people of different ages will have been to their concerts.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

not really, i dont think she would bt that well known
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you reckon someone in their 70s or 80s would recognise Swifty?
    What about someone who lived in an Afriacan or Asian country?

It's got to be someone who is known across all nationalities & age groups so I'm afraid a boring answer like the Queen or the US President is more likely.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many celebrities (singers/TV presenters etc) will have visited every single country/area of the world and be very well known to all generations? I mentioned some singers because they'll have visited loads of countries when touring and people of different ages will have been to their concerts.

Very famous indeed would include people like: Madonna, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Elton John. For. Younger star I'd say Beyonce has a Particularly high profile.

What about film stars? Tom Cruise?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect that the Greats like Sinatra were little known were little known in places again like India and China. There must be Bollywood stars who are immediately recognisable to everyone know and Chine must have its own stars.
  • Options
    DoggyphantDoggyphant Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Michael Jackson dead is still more famous than anyone else alive. He used to sell out stadiums in countries where no other Western artist ever toured.

Like where? I think you've proved that he was a master of marketing himself to the gullible.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who? :confused:

She's my friend
  • Options
    Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Define "Celebrity" ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    not really, i dont think she would bt that well known

I disagree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Do you reckon someone in their 70s or 80s would recognise Swifty?
    What about someone who lived in an Afriacan or Asian country?

It's got to be someone who is known across all nationalities & age groups so I'm afraid a boring answer like the Queen or the US President is more likely.

I did make it clear that I was talking about 20 somethings and 30 somethings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Very famous indeed would include people like: Madonna, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Elton John. For. Younger star I'd say Beyonce has a Particularly high profile.

What about film stars? Tom Cruise?

I only gave a list as a quick example. Yes, I think Tom Cruise would be very well known. I'd imagine people of all nearly all ages go to see his films out there.
  • Options
    Bettty BooBettty Boo Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    If we are only covering people who are alive then it surely has to be Madonna? her name is instantly recognisable so people of all ages know who she is whereas with someone like Paul McCartney I would question if teenagers knew of him. I would apply the same logic to Elton John.

I mean put it this way, If Madonna was to drop dead tomorrow it would be all over the news 24 hours straight for a whole week and her music would be all over the charts again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doggyphant wrote: »
    Like where? I think you've proved that he was a master of marketing himself to the gullible.

On the HIStory tour he was the first artist (and as far I know, the only) to sell out stadiums in the Arab world and Africa.

If you want to deny that he was one of the most famous people on the planet, that's your prerogative, but you're the one who's deluded.
  • Options
    tivtiv Posts: 2,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long is a piece of string?
  • Options
    tivtiv Posts: 2,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Up till he died I'd say it was definitely Muhammad Ali. Now, probably Christiano Ronaldo or Messi or Usain Bolt.

Well, out of those four I've only heard of two, the first and last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bettty Boo wrote: »
    If we are only covering people who are alive then it surely has to be Madonna? her name is instantly recognisable so people of all ages know who she is whereas with someone like Paul McCartney I would question if teenagers knew of him. I would apply the same logic to Elton John.

I mean put it this way, If Madonna was to drop dead tomorrow it would be all over the news 24 hours straight for a whole week and her music would be all over the charts again.

Yeah, my mother knows who Madonna is and she doesn't follow the celebrity world at all. Madonna would be very high up on the list. I highly doubt that a lot of school kids out there would know who Paul McCartney is and what he was part of.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    If every famous person is regarded as a "celebrity" these days then of course it's the Queen. No one else mentioned has been as well known for so long.

it's definately the queen. she's been known all around the world for 90 years, famous since the day she was born and known to people across the world long before anyone else mentioned on the thread. she will be known to people who even died before anyone else mentioned was even born, and will be known to many people across the world long after every person mentioned on this thread has died

she's literally one of the most well known people in history

paul macartney is another of the big names for similar reasons, hugely famous for a long time and will be known long after his death due to the legacy of music he's left behind, which will likely be played for a long time after his death, like mozart or beethoven