Options

Why SHOULDNT you refer to someone thats fat as fat?!

Comments

• Options
    FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    It's not a black and white thing is what I am saying some larger people are very fit and attractive, some thinner people are very fit and attractive. And some thinner or fatter people are unfit and or unattractive.

Personally I find people who find they need to call anyone fat or thin or any other label fairly unattractive, that inner beauty people who don't judge people gets seems missing in them.

So, who would your top three most attractive famous people be then? Just off the top of your head.

I bet they're not fat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    When you feel the need to start critiquing the grammatical structure of an FMs post, you're probably losing the argument.

People with a poor grasp of written language always say that. It's not true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo. Please stick to the facts. I've said they are "less" attractive and "less" healthy. Not unattractive and unhealthy.

And it's not a claim, it's reality.

Do you honestly believe fat people are as attractive and healthy as people within a healthy weight range?

Thing is, none of what we're discussing is "fact" at all, is it? It's mere opinion and personal preference. If you want to continue with purporting your comments to be fact, then please post some evidence to back up your claims.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People with a poor grasp of written language always say that. It's not true.

I foresee a long and prosperous future for you under your current username...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, who would your top three most attractive famous people be then? Just off the top of your head.

I bet they're not fat.

I've always thought Dawn French was quite attractive.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I foresee a long and prosperous future for you under your current username...

He's digging his own grave. Let him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about 'overweight' and 'underweight', for a start?

How is that any less offensive? As alluded to by myself, the actual word "fat" just sounds aggressive, what with the caustic "T" on the end.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    I dont get it, if its the truth then why cant you say someone is fat?

They know it, we know it, anyone with eyes would know it, so why is it such an offensive thing these days to say someone is fat?

Barring any medical issues causing it, then I dont see why you shouldnt be able to point it out. Its not bullying, its stating a fact! :confused:

Because it is rude and bad mannered to point the finger at anyone calling them names. The world seems to be full of rude people these days-the ones who think it is OK to label people as fat, smokers as smelly, people on the dole as scroungers etc.

What we need is a bit more tolerance of difference in this country and a 'live and let live' attitude. After all why should it bother you? if someone is overweight that's their business not yours.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Health tends to be measure these days in 'markers' anyway. Being overweight in the technical sense (not obese/morbidly obese) is actually just one marker.

An overweight person who regularly exercises can - and some very much do - have the fitness and stamina of an athlete.

The opposite is a healthy weight person who smokes.
    In fact, the smoker would be deemed 'unhealthier'.

Categorizing people as healthy or unhealthy in terms of weight alone is vastly inaccurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is, none of what we're discussing is "fact" at all, is it? It's mere opinion and personal preference. If you want to continue with purporting your comments to be fact, then please post some evidence to back up your claims.

I appreciate that you will just argue against things that most people just take as a given, but here are the first results that came up when I Googled the subjects at hand.

http://www.sharecare.com/health/human-practices-and-relationships/love-anthropologically-speaking

http://uk.askmen.com/sports/health_150/160_mens_health.html
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humdrummer wrote: »
    Health tends to be measure these days in 'markers' anyway. Being overweight in the technical sense (not obese/morbidly obese) is actually just one marker.

An overweight person who regularly exercises can - and some very much do - have the fitness and stamina of an athlete.

The opposite is a healthy weight person who smokes.
    In fact, the smoker would be deemed 'unhealthier'.

Categorizing people as healthy or unhealthy in terms of weight alone is vastly inaccurate.

How do you account for all those sportsmen who smoke then?
    There are many who do.

The reality is that everyone is different. Some people might be fat and smoke like a chimney yet live to be very old, some might not. Keeping physically active and busy seems to be the most important factor for living a long life. It has nothing to do with whether you indulge in the odd pie, glass of wine etc.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet they're not fat.

My husband tops the list and he is nearly 20 stones, anyone with a happy way about them and a gleam in their eye is attractive to me. I rather like Matthew Perry when he carries a bit of weight, and John Goodman is IMO very attractive.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    How do you account for all those sportsmen who smoke then?
    There are many who do.

The reality is that everyone is different. Some people might be fat and smoke like a chimney yet live to be very old, some might not. Keeping physically active and busy seems to be the most important factor for living a long life. It has nothing to do with whether you indulge in the odd pie, glass of wine etc.

I think we are sort of agreeing..?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that you will just argue against things that most people just take as a given, but here are the first results that came up when I Googled the subjects at hand.

http://www.sharecare.com/health/human-practices-and-relationships/love-anthropologically-speaking

http://uk.askmen.com/sports/health_150/160_mens_health.html

Your links prove nothing. You also seem to be confusing health with risk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _kitty wrote: »
    Fat people are always telling me to 'eat more' saying things like 'there's nothing of you' blah blah blah

If it's offensive to call a fat person fat, then it's offensive to call a thin person thin.

I steer clear of making personal remarks regarding someone's looks unless it's something complimentary.

:kitty:
    It is fine to steer clear of making personal remarks - admirable in fact - but in this dialogue:

"have a bit of cake. Go on, there's nothing of you!"
    "No, I don't want to be fat like you."

- my sympathies are with the first person.
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Are your social skills really so non existent that you need to ask op?? Fat is seen as a undesirable trait, to use it as a descriptor for someone who doubtless has other traits is therefore rude. You know this, you just like the tiny thrill that pretending to be stupid in order to be mean gives you.
    That is brilliantly put. :) I think I will copy it pass it off as my own in the future.

Calling someone 'fat' is fattist, especially if they are the fattest. You should call them 'portly' or 'well built'.

:D
    When would you EVER need to call anyone by any of these words?
    Joey_J wrote: »
    If I was fat then I think I'd hate the term Morbidly Obese much much worse than "fat"
    It was a medical term that had a brief vogue then fizzled out. IT mostly seems to be used on gossip forums now to describe any woman on tv who takes more than a size 12.
    Does this apply to people (mostly FAT people) who call slim people "anorexic", "scrawny" etc?

Thought not.....
    Why are you asking a question, then answering it yourself, wrongly? Of course it is not polite to call people 'anorexic', unless invited by them to do so. It is very rude. As is 'Scrawny' or any similar term. Who in the world would suggest they were all right?
    It seems that we are instinctively put off by fat people.

Are we disgusted by their perceived greed? Or is it just that they're so unattractive.

There's hardly any other physical trait that puts people off so much as fat.
    It would be interesting to see if there was any link between fat-phobia and a general obsession with control; are fat-phobic people particularly controlling as parents, for example?
    burton07 wrote: »
    People don't see being called skinny as an insult. My daughter is thin (by choice) and people constantly say to her "oh aren't you skinny" or "You should eat more cakes". They wouldn't say to a fat person "oh aren't you fat" or "You should eat less cakes".
    Not, but slimness is socially valued and fatness is not. Teasing someone in good health for being slim is like teasing someone for being clever; teasing someone for being fat is like teasing them for being stupid. I'm sure you can see the difference.
    "We" must refer to people who don't pretend they are something other than they are.

Or have you somehow overridden your genetic programming and find fat people as attractive as healthy people?
    I really think you have misunderstood the nature of 'genetic programming'. During the greater part of history, being somewhat fat (not extremely obese, but certainly fatter than we admire today) was highly valued. It was a marker of good health and fertility during the long eras when the sick and the hungry were thin. There is an almost perfect correlation in the world today between exposure to mass media and admiration for slimness: people who have not seen tv or films still tend to admire a degree of fatness as being desirable and sexy.
    No it's not.

People who are fat are less healthy than people who are not fat.

For that to be true, you have to take a very liberal interpretation of 'fat'. People who are 'overweight' have a significantly lower mortality rate than those who are 'normal weight'; a fact revealed in two very large and reputable studies recently which led to a mass outbreak of furious denial the likes of which I have never seen in response to a properly peer reviewed macro-study.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    My husband tops the list and he is nearly 20 stones, anyone with a happy way about them and a gleam in their eye is attractive to me. I rather like Matthew Perry when he carries a bit of weight, and John Goodman is IMO very attractive.

I'll ignore that your husband probably isn't famous :) Saying that you "rather like" Chandler when he was a little bit fat and John Goodman does sound like you're stretching a bit. Fair enough though, I'm content in knowing that I never see fat people in "most beautiful" lists anywhere, although I have heard people say Nigella should shed some pounds, but she is phenomenally sexy IMO.
    Your links prove nothing. You also seem to be confusing health with risk.

Of course. If I presented you an inscribed tablet from an angel of the Lord you would argue. Cheers.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll ignore that your husband probably isn't famous :) Saying that you "rather like" Chandler when he was a little bit fat and John Goodman does sound like you're stretching a bit. Fair enough though, I'm content in knowing that I never see fat people in "most beautiful" lists anywhere, although I have heard people say Nigella should shed some pounds, but she is phenomenally sexy IMO.

Of course. If I presented you an inscribed tablet from an angel of the Lord you would argue. Cheers.

Well to be fair to me I don't go round looking at other men, I am married and happy and that's enough for me. So rather like is as far as I a married woman of a certain age is willing to go !
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member

They know it, we know it, anyone with eyes would know it, so why is it such an offensive thing these days to say someone is fat?

Barring any medical issues causing it, then I dont see why you shouldnt be able to point it out. Its not bullying, its stating a fact! :confused:

I don't see why you would want to "point it out". I know I'm fat, you telling me won't reveal to me a hidden truth.
    On the other hand, I really don't mind "fat" being used as a descriptor but I object to it being used pejoratively or judgementally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    I don't see why you would want to "point it out". I know I'm fat, you telling me won't reveal to me a hidden truth.
    On the other hand, I really don't mind "fat" being used as a descriptor but I object to it being used pejoratively or judgementally.

I often hear of people shouting at fat people, and on a night out people frequently shout at fat women I've noticed.

What are people's opinions on why this happens? I don't hear people yelling "you've got stupid ears" or similar. Why is fat so popular to point out?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Depends on what you mean. Medically it is the proportion of the body weight which is fat - that is not always apparent by looking at a person.

If you mean they are large - how do you know under their clothes they have muscle?
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be fat, now I get called gaunt.. That's probably only because people aren't used to seeing me slimmed down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But your links don't prove anything. One is a subjective response to a question about some of the reasons humans are attracted to other humans - at no point does the answer include a phrase similar to "fat people are less attractive"....and even if it did, it would just be a personal preference. The other one offers an insight into the risks of being obese. Neither clearly state factually that fat people are less attractive and less healthy.

Again, you seem to be confusing risk with health.....so using your methodology, extreme sports people are less healthy and less attractive than both fat and slim people because their chosen profession places them at a higher risk of death. No...?
  • Options
    John RobinsonJohn Robinson Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    This.
    End of thread.

Well that didn't seem to work, did it?!
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this thread in reference to that dumbass Lawrence woman, she is seriously not firing on all cylinders is she thinks calling someone fat should be illegal, I have been fat, been called a fat B, bus fat ******, lard ass ect but rather than sit and pity eat I done something about it.

Now I'm skinny I sometimes get called anorexic Andy, bean pole ect but hell that's life and I have no time to react to petty insults in my busy life.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Is this thread in reference to that dumbass Lawrence woman, she is seriously not firing on all cylinders is she thinks calling someone fat should be illegal, I have been fat, been called a fat B, bus fat ******, lard ass ect but rather than sit and pity eat I done something about it.

Now I'm skinny I sometimes get called anorexic Andy, bean pole ect but hell that's life and I have no time to react to petty insults in my busy life.

Some people have real issues and comfort eating is a real problem, pity eating is trivialising it somewhat, or is it just because you managed to get thin are the fat people beneath you now