Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but i believe the term "Multiculturalism" has been used to stifle any debate on immigration in the past.

We do not want to be at war with those already here.

But even you must admit that people do indeed "gravitate to people who look just like them" when choosing a place to live Nick Abbot is right about that.

I prefer the term immigration which is indeed what it is.

Right -Multculturalism is pc media speak

- It's Immigration in straight talking parlance
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Yes but i believe the term "Multiculturalism" has been used to stifle any debate on immigration in the past.

We do not want to be at war with those already here.

But even you must admit that people do indeed "gravitate to people who look just like them" when choosing a place to live Nick Abbot is right about that.

I prefer the term immigration which is indeed what it is.
    It's not just about immigrants it's also those that are born here. I don't think we all "gravitate to people who look just like them" but, we do gravitate to those that like and enjoy what we do and have the same views as us.
  • Options
    thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught some of Ian Collins last night on the subject of a proposed extension of the smoking ban, during which he announced that "of course the use of ecigs is a gateway into smoking". Needless to say, he failed to provide any evidence for this spurious claim, perhaps because studies have tended to disprove the contention. He is obviously a fella not averse to lobbing discombobulated, dodgepot statements into his show. If he could be bothered to research the subject before shouting his mouth off, he might conclude that vaping is actually a gateway out of smoking for millions.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes always flying close to the wind.

Wonder if Carl from Plaistow one of his regulars will ring in odds on i think.
    Galloway will probably phone him to get him on air. Those 2 had a mutual love-in at Talksport. If Friday and Saturday evenings on LBC didn't have such a good presenter in Nick Abbot then the slot he does would be perfect for Galloway and mirror exactly his old slot at Talksport that was so popular. Enjoying the banter about Jeremy Corbyn with Nick Abbot tonight.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    John is covering Andrew on breakfast and George is covering Ken and David this weekend.

'Covering' has equine connotations and that statement makes me feel a little queasy.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is being ironically self-depracating and is obviously repeating and paraphrasing what he gets called on Twitter etc.
    To be precise, he calls himself the above, but 'Liberal' - not 'Leftie'.
    I would think he is correct about this label, as it is far more descriptive of him - definitely more Liberal than Left.
    Personally, I dislike labels and pigeon-holing, as they are a facile and superficial way of dismissing people and concepts without further depth of consideration or description.

There is nothing liberal about the way that James O'Brien often treats callers to his show. He is regularly rude and cuts them off curtly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    There is nothing liberal about the way that James O'Brien often treats callers to his show. He is regularly rude and cuts them off curtly.
    So why do they call in then?
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 202,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! This is my 16,000th post !

Congrats Martin, :)......
    You are way ahead of me, and you started after me! You must be a 'DS-tart' (unlike myself - is there a male equivalent?)

Your just a pup, unlike my mate ........ Terrence Chant
    Forum Membea

BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Forum Daddy.

^^^^^^^^^^ see above :o:p
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is why they have a record number of listeners.(RAJAR Q2 2015)
    There are other ways besides looking at RAJAR figures to evaluate whether a radio station or a radio show sucks or not. It is easy to explain why LBC appears to be doing fairly well in terms of listener numbers and I can tell you for sure that it is NOT because the current management are competent at running a talk radio station. Time after time they prove themselves to be clueless in fact.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

A phrase he keeps using, "If you build it they will come" or from being very provocative could be another interpretation.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    There are other ways besides looking at RAJAR figures to evaluate whether a radio station or a radio show sucks or not. It is easy to explain why LBC appears to be doing fairly well in terms of listener numbers and I can tell you for sure that it is NOT because the current management are competent at running a talk radio station. Time after time they prove themselves to be clueless in fact.

So why are they doing fairly well? Somebody must be doing something right. If not management, who? :confused:

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably in the hope that this time they'll get more than a half- sentence out before he starts interrupting and moving the goalposts. Once or twice this week someone has told him to his face he's being overbearing and not letting them speak and he lets them go for another nanosecond, then cuts them off and ridicules them after he's done so.
    So glad I can't listen regularly because of work and so will miss the bullying vile oaf Galloway as well. He was the same the few times I heard him on Talksport only louder, though he may tone himself down to.come across better during the day. It seems to be what Lbc want though instead of the more polite Iain Dale-ish debate with both sides contributing.
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    That is why I wrote 'Liberal' rather than 'liberal'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    Probably in the hope that this time they'll get more than a half- sentence out before he starts interrupting and moving the goalposts. Once or twice this week someone has told him to his face he's being overbearing and not letting them speak and he lets them go for another nanosecond, then cuts them off and ridicules them after he's done so.
    So glad I can't listen regularly because of work and so will miss the bullying vile oaf Galloway as well. He was the same the few times I heard him on Talksport only louder, though he may tone himself down to.come across better during the day. It seems to be what Lbc want though instead of the more polite Iain Dale-ish debate with both sides contributing.
    He doesn't move the goalposts; they know what happens when they ring in. Personally I would call it questioning and I can't really see what the problem is with questioning the caller.

I think that's the sort of radio LBC should try to produce on mid mornings, Late nights, afternoons and some time at the weekend and the best thing about this sort of radio is that loads of people that don't like it will listen just like lots on here.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iso_Cross wrote: »
    Iain Dale is off til the beginning of September and john Stapleton is covering his slot. Yay or Nay?

Nay for me.

John Stapleton is OK, but he does lack a bit of va va voom, plus I'm a bit biased because Iain Dale is one of my favourite presenters on the station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The listening figures are the best way to tell if a station is doing well. What are the other ways of looking how well a radio station is doing.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    He doesn't move the goalposts; they know what happens when they ring in. Personally I would call it questioning and I can't really see what the problem is with questioning the caller.

I think that's the sort of radio LBC should try to produce on mid mornings, Late nights, afternoons and some time at the weekend and the best thing about this sort of radio is that loads of people that don't like it will listen just like lots on here.

How about the way he belittles callers who he takes an instant dislike to? For example the man with the posh accent who JOB mimicked in a really derogatory way "Haw haw haw". Or the people who ring MH to be told their question is "boring" despite the fact that his very well-briefed production team have put the caller to air knowing what they were going to ask. Or the decision to promote clips of him "taking apart" a caller who happened to have a different political point of view.

Let me tell you right now, James O'Brien has a nasty, bullying streak in him which he takes out on the contributors to his programme. We saw what happened when faced with someone big enough and confident enough to stand up to the bully with the Lampard incident. He couldn't cut Frank off without exposing himself as the weak petty individual that he is, and look what happened.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Only a third of respondents said they were uncomfortable with the idea of a Muslim mayor yet LBC chose to report this as only 55% being happy with the prospect. I assume the rest were indifferent to the idea.

The Indy also focused on this aspect.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/one-in-three-londoners-feel-uncomfortable-with-the-prospect-of-a-muslim-mayor-poll-finds-10453528.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    How about the way he belittles callers who he takes an instant dislike to? For example the man with the posh accent who JOB mimicked in a really derogatory way "Haw haw haw". Or the people who ring MH to be told their question is "boring" despite the fact that his very well-briefed production team have put the caller to air knowing what they were going to ask. Or the decision to promote clips of him "taking apart" a caller who happened to have a different political point of view.

Let me tell you right now, James O'Brien has a nasty, bullying streak in him which he takes out on the contributors to his programme. We saw what happened when faced with someone big enough and confident enough to stand up to the bully with the Lampard incident. He couldn't cut Frank off without exposing himself as the weak petty individual that he is, and look what happened.
    It's called making radio. Would much prefer him arguing/debating with one of his callers, it makes better radio than buttering callers up and letting them go on like some presenters do.

What would you like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The listening figures are the best way to tell if a station is doing well. What are the other ways of looking how well a radio station is doing.

None

But RAJAR is owned by the industry so its natural self interest for the figures released to be 'accommodating'

Parameters seem to me to be fairly relaxed - it's essentially fodder for advertisers .A mere 5 mins of Gobber gets a tick .
  • Options
    snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are other ways besides looking at RAJAR figures to evaluate whether a radio station or a radio show sucks or not. It is easy to explain why LBC appears to be doing fairly well in terms of listener numbers and I can tell you for sure that it is NOT because the current management are competent at running a talk radio station.

I'd just like to add my request for this easy explanation of why LBC appears to be bringing in the listeners despite management incompetence? Oscar?
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turned on at 10 expecting Ken and Dave exchanging merry banter and instead got Galloway interviewing Dianne Abbott. Click straight off.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    It's called making radio. Would much prefer him arguing/debating with one of his callers, it makes better radio than buttering callers up and letting them go on like some presenters do.

What would you like?

I don't want it to be sanitised but I don't agree that it's necessary to be vile to people in order to make good radio. Iain Dale and Nick Ferrari prove this. And that's nothing to do with their politics before anyone jumps down my throat. Iain Dale is always polite to people but is perfectly capable of having a ding-dong these days which is good. NF handles things with a sense of humour that JOB lacks in spades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Covering' has equine connotations and that statement makes me feel a little queasy.

Doesn't it just :D
This discussion has been closed.