[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones that stick out in my mind would be

Kate Rowan - Heartbeat
    Ethel Skinner - EastEnders
    Vera Duckworth and then Jack Duckworth - Corrie
    Alma - Corrie
    Billborough's murder in Cracker ( i never liked the character but his death was still shocking and very graphic)
    Shane in Home & Away
    Bobbie Simpson - Home & Away
    Nana in Royle Family ( particularly the part where she says that she had wished she would never go into a care home and that it had come true)
    Maxine's murder in Waterloo Road
    Madge in Neighbours
    Todd Landers in Neighbours
    Myra Desmond in Prisoner Cell Block H
    Grandad in Only Fools & Horses
    Victor Meldrew
    Edna's dog in Emmerdale :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Mark Greene - ER. When he died in 'On the Beach' I blubbed like a baby. When the staff read his final words in previous episode 'The Letter' it really got to me. I was 15ish when it first aired and I've never forgotten it, and never will.

Most shocking death for me was Freddie in Skins. Just didn't see it coming. It's also a warning not to trust strangers just because they are in positions of importance. I think it was so shocking to me because you didn't actually see him die. Just the blood. I hated the character but felt really sad and shocked at his death.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Tommy Cooper did really die on TV in Live from Her Majesty's on ITV and (alas) many viewers thought it was part of the act:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    number six wrote: »
    Kate Rowan in Heartbeat, Nick standing at the front door in his PJ's with the snow coming down, that was very sad!

Yes, that was the saddest death on TV I've ever seen. I cried for almost an hour after it. :cry:

Another one that stands out is Wellard the dog on Eastenders. I love dogs so that really got me.

Don't even get me started on films.....I watched Bridge to Terabithia once and never again.
  • Options
    YorkshireFanYorkshireFan Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    That was outstanding, the entire scene with Barbara and Nana.

Nana says to Barbara ''Barbara, thank you''

Barbara asks ''What for ?''

To which Nana replies simply ''Everything'' :cry:

Even now this has me in tears, reminds me so much of my own dear Mum who died in 2009:cry:
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    number six wrote: »
    Kate Rowan in Heartbeat, Nick standing at the front door in his PJ's with the snow coming down, that was very sad!

I was just going to post this also such a sad moment when he stands at the door and you know she is gone.

In Charmed when Pru dies and Piper is banging on her plaque in the memorial makes me cry every time.

Doctor who - When Rose takes in the heart of the tardis to save her doctor and he then dies. (regenerates)
    Also when David Tennant leaves and the Doctor says " I don't to go "

Another vote also for the Royal Family and Nana's death
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel Harvey in Benidorm

On the Christmas special last year where Mick recieves the phone call about Mel's passing and having to tell the rest of the family. They all looked genuinely upset (the actors themselves) when the news was broken and at the end credits they played Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy. I nearly choked up myself.

Compo in Last of the Summer Wine

The looks of Clegg and Nora Batty when the doctor came into the waiting room and gave a look to them meaning that Compo had died.

Nana in The Royle Family

When they are all gathering around Nana's bed saying their goodbyes to her. Even Jim Royle was crying his eyes out.

I watched the Benidorm episode yesterday how sad was that at the end when Mel had died.
  • Options
    pjayem1964pjayem1964 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Off the wall now, but the cows getting slaughtered in Heartbeat due to foot and mouth. Accompanied by "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. A truly touching piece of tv drama.

I can never listen to that song since watching that episode several years ago.

Been vegetarian for 21 years.

Bye for now

Paula
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Tommy Coopers live on the Palledium stage

Remember it well :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Flynn in Home and Away. Kate Ritchie's acting was always perfect and this was no different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Alisha on Misfits. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Rita's death on Dexter really got me!I genuinely thought she was safe from the trinity killer!
    Another vote for Nana's death in the Royle Family
    I do cry a lot when good characters die in soaps or tv! Im a big softie really!
    Pats death in Eastenders recently really hurt as I had lost my aunt a few days previously and she did resemble her a bit :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    phil jupitus on buzzcocks,,,,so unfunny
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Remember it well :(

Actually it was Her Majesty's Theatre on April 15, 1984 although some people do seem to think it was the Palladium.
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Actually it was Her Majesty's Theatre on April 15, 1984 although some people do seem to think it was the Palladium.

It was indeed Her Majesty's Theatre where Tommy Cooper breathed his last. The Palladium and Piccadilly shows came later in the run.

I remember watching it and seeing TC slump back just as he was about to do his cloak routine - the audience of course all laughed thinking it was part of his act. It later emerged (on the ITN news which followed the show) that he'd collapsed and died live on stage. Sad for those watching, but what a way to go!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I'd just like to thank you all... not being a fan of the Royle Family, and not having experienced the death of Nana that you all keep talking about, I decided to click that youtube link to see what all the fuss was about.

Cut to me fighting to hold back tears in a college classroom.. thanks a lot guys, I need a big cuddle now!!
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the earliest I remember was Martha Longhurst in Corrie. it was at a time when on screen deaths were still a bit taboo, especially in a real life type drama (before they were known as Soaps). I was 9 at the time and it has stuck with me. Also Valerie Barlow, that had leaked to the press so we were expecting it but it was still a big shock.

As mentioned previously Mark Greene in ER, especially as we found out about the death in the previous episode with Carter reading the letter from Mark and the addendum from Elizabeth. He was one of the good guys and much loved by his colleagues and family despite what happened with Jen and Rachel. It was a nice touch that Rachel joined County as an intern in the last episode. You just knew she would turn out to be a goodun as well.

But I think, like many others, it has to be Nana in The Royale Family. It was just so realistic with everybody wanting to breakdown but holding it together as you do in real life. Que Sera Sera was number one when I was born but I will always remember Sue Johnstone and Liz Smith singing that during that scene.

Christopher Ecclestone said it was an amazing piece of drama/acting. Not wrong there matey! Sue Johnstone is one of our much under rated actresses.
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only two deaths on TV have made me upset(:cry:!)

Charmed when it's Prue's funeral and the song is playing and the woman's lighting the candle and everyone's crying.

When Buffy dies for the second time after she jumps into the portal and we hear what she said to Dawn. Although they should have ended it there but they ruined it by bringing Buffy back!
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was indeed Her Majesty's Theatre where Tommy Cooper breathed his last. The Palladium and Piccadilly shows came later in the run.

I remember watching it and seeing TC slump back just as he was about to do his cloak routine - the audience of course all laughed thinking it was part of his act. It later emerged (on the ITN news which followed the show) that he'd collapsed and died live on stage. Sad for those watching, but what a way to go!

I was born in 1992 so obviously wasn't born when it happened, but I can't believe they have it on the internet on video. Gives me the chills especially because the audience thought it was an act :(
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two deaths come to mind from Buffy. Tara's and her Mums. Both came completely out of nowhere and were the characters of the 7 year history to die of natural causes... made it more real because there was no supernatural spirit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    gary barlows career
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member

Matthew's death in a 1970s production of Anne Of Green Gables is my " bit of sand in me eye " moment.
    Kim Braden was Anne in that if my memory serves.....one of my favourite dramas ever ..dear Matthew....:cry:

I wept inconsolably when Father Ralph de Bricassart in The Thorn Birds died :cry::cry::cry: and remember being shocked and very surprised when Billy died in Ally McBeal...:cry: I felt sure he would come round
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Anastasia "Dee" Dualla is one that took me completely by surprise.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmeichel in Corrie :o