Options

Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big24fan wrote: »
    I don't think there is a mole, just people involved with the cover-up such as Estes who knew about the drone attack.

there is a mole..whoever tipped off the terrorist couple that he was being followed.

In addition whoever slipped the terrorist in custody the razor blade..could have been Brody, coudl have been someone else.

as to whoever questioned Brodys motives in the second season. Even if he is currently unwilling to play to play terrorist and was buying time with the guy at the end to be an inside sleeper agent, theres the matter of that video clip.

I would suggest thats a huge bargining chip over him, and will be used to make him work for the terrorists even if doesn't really want to.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The question arose because it appeared from the camera shots that you passed through the detectors on access and egress.

As virtually everyone would have keys, phones and coins, and the security team would all be carrying guns and walkie talkies, I'm sure they would have just ignored the metal detectors or turned off them off.

I really don't see this as a plot whole at all.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,657
    Forum Member
    How come the VP wasn't shot as well? Wouldn't the bullet pass through Gaines(?) and hit him? He was in direct line of shot.
    It looked like the sniper was waiting to get a clear head shot on the VP but actually he was waiting to get a body shot on Gaines for a brief moment she was not stood directly in front of the VP.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As virtually everyone would have keys, phones and coins, and the security team would all be carrying guns and walkie talkies, I'm sure they would have just ignored the metal detectors or turned off them off.

I really don't see this as a plot whole at all.
    I suggest you take that up with the person that asked it in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It looked like the sniper was waiting to get a clear head shot on the VP but actually he was waiting to get a body shot on Gaines for a brief moment she was not stood directly in front of the VP.
    Watch again is all I can say. He was splattered with blood, face and torso.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch again is all I can say. He was splattered with blood, face and torso.

The blood from the bullet exit would have splattered in a wide arc no doubt, Walker was no doubt a good enough shot to put the bullet only just just wide (a few inches). what would have been enough to not hit the VP, but cover him in blood. In fact you see him move his aim very slightly to the right just before he shoots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    The blood from the bullet exit would have splattered in a wide arc no doubt, Walker was no doubt a good enough shot to put the bullet only just just wide (a few inches). what would have been enough to not hit the VP, but cover him in blood. In fact you see him move his aim very slightly to the right just before he shoots.
    51 mins in, he is right in front of her.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,657
    Forum Member
    You don't see the relative position of Gaines and the VP at the instant the trigger is pulled and you can't tell the angle of entry and exit when the bullet strikes her slightly to her left as that is a different camera angle to the scope camera we saw as the sniper lined up the shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    You don't see the relative position of Gaines and the VP at the instant the trigger is pulled and you can't tell the angle of entry and exit when the bullet strikes her slightly to her left as that is a different camera angle to the scope camera we saw as the sniper lined up the shot.
    They seem to be in a strai
    ght line. Hits her on the right in my picture but it is a samgsung. May be the way the camera cuts around is deceptive. But in slomo looks as though they are lined up.
    Ah, ok get what you mean. He is slightly to her left and another aide cops it to her right.
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's it for me then. Series 2 possibly -definitely no more after that.
    I wasted so many years on Lost and all for a pitiful and dismal ending.:cry::(

We have terrorism in real life. I might as well watch the news everyday.:(

It's kind of standard to sign for 5, 6 or 7 years on a US series. So don't read too much into it.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst it was inferred that Brody and Walker had been communicating to carry out the plan Carrie had worked out so accurately, presumably Saul had similar training, however ancient and would accept Carrie's mad rambling as carrying some merit. It seemed so obvious and whilst he thought she was at peak of her madness, he accepted her work and wall chart to nose around and find redacted missing undestroyed file on drone strike.

He has a career, but lost the love in his life through it. He feels deep love in caring way for Carrie, so whilst VP warned him off as did David, nevertheless, he saw what Carrie had manically repeated take place and he surely would insisted on Brody being searched.

Now whilst Brody killed Walker, no one found him to end of programne, nor did we see Brody regain the memory card, incriminating him.

Saul will help Carrie rehabilitate and say and do the right things to persuade, possibly with blackmail or demonstrating her lost memory, to satisfy David and VP and get her back in. No
    doubt she will get numerous flashbacks,causing her to revisit Brody and his intentions. However, more behind her main work and with the same use of Virgil and methods.

Brody will become frustrated, angry and unable to maintain his calmer role as he perhaps has issues again in his family and particularly the daughter.

Just a few thoughts!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    It's TV, not real life :-)

This.

Every single minute little detail has got to have an answer doesn't it.

Best quote of the day! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I was hoping it would all be wrapped up so that a second season would feature a new terrorist threat like 24 - if Jack Bauer could always find a way back to CTU then Carrie surely can get back to her old job. It's good that season 2 will address the loose ends from S1 but I think it would also be good to move on to something else.

Homeland is much more grown up than 24. I loved that show in my early 20s but over a decade on, homeland is much more my cup of tea. More plausible - relatively speaking - and without the need for constant action sequences.

Even in my height of 24 fandom, the only thing that spoilt it for me was the complete lack of continuity between the series. Remember the man on the boat and 'that' handshake? I couldn't wait for day 3. When they went down a different route i felt let-down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am staggered by the lack of enthusiasm for this brilliant finale. My wife and i, who disagree on nearly everything on tv, were gripped from start to finish. It followed the true blood formula of giving us an ending of sorts (carrie inadvertently saves the day by harassing dana) and setting up the plot for season 2.

I am fairly sure that saul is going to be the mole. I was thinking about some of the decisions he made - the lie detector, hanging on to evidence against the vp, finding the dodgy dossier, selling carrie out. All can be explained both by him being a good agent or by him having sympathy for the other side. He worked for the vp and knows what an odious man he is. Could it have turned him?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,978
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who thought this program was alright but highly overrated? Clare Danes is definitely the best thing about it though. Even though it seems highly unlikely to me that the CIA wold not know that she had a serious condition. I just found it a little formulaic. The ending was also a serious letdown.
    It was very watchable but it was a load of rubbish. Hope to catch the Israeli original, which is showing on TV at the moment.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is that Saul is involved with the Abu Nazir crowd. Why else would he fail the lie detector test and why would he ask for Carrie to be arrested when she was close to the truth and Brody was inside with the bomb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RM83 wrote: »
    I am staggered by the lack of enthusiasm for this brilliant finale. My wife and i, who disagree on nearly everything on tv, were gripped from start to finish. It followed the true blood formula of giving us an ending of sorts (carrie inadvertently saves the day by harassing dana) and setting up the plot for season 2.

I am fairly sure that saul is going to be the mole. I was thinking about some of the decisions he made - the lie detector, hanging on to evidence against the vp, finding the dodgy dossier, selling carrie out. All can be explained both by him being a good agent or by him having sympathy for the other side. He worked for the vp and knows what an odious man he is. Could it have turned him?

The main problem with the Saul=mole theory is that he chased the drone attack issue when Carrie got sacked. It was the drone attack which explained the 'greater plan' of the terrorist linking in with Brody.

It would have been easier for him not to do that if he was the mole.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Joooe wrote: »
    I thought right up to the end of the bunker scenes, it was brilliant.

Felt like it could've done with something 'bigger' to finish, but looking forward to season 2.
    Like something, anything.....as it was, nothing happened in the Final Episode.....it was awful.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    blue34 wrote: »
    I really wish this had just been a one series show.
    I'm looking forward to series two but hope it's not going to drag on and on with it just being made up as they go along!

When this first started, the whole attraction of it was to find out if Brody was Bad or Good.
    When a second season was announced the other week, I was wondering how do they do that cos presumably at the end of this season we'd know if he WAS good or bad so how do you get a second season out it?

Mind you, it also told us before it happened that he obviously wasn't going to blow himself up if he's in a second season. So that completely took away the tension of the exlosives he put on himself and the whole thing about blowing everyone up in that room. Ruined it.

I enjoyed this season but I won't watch anymore cos it'll be a different programme.
    Homeland ended last night as far as I'm concerned. For that reason I'm disappointed at the ending, which was obviously never going to be AN end - cos of the second series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    When this first started, the whole attraction of it was to find out if Brody was Bad or Good.
    When a second season was announced the other week, I was wondering how do they do that cos presumably at the end of this season we'd know if he WAS good or bad so how do you get a second season out it?

Mind you, it also told us before it happened that he obviously wasn't going to blow himself up if he's in a second season. So that completely took away the tension of the exlosives he put on himself and the whole thing about blowing everyone up in that room. Ruined it.

I enjoyed this season but I won't watch anymore cos it'll be a different programme.
    Homeland ended last night as far as I'm concerned. For that reason I'm disappointed at the ending, which was obviously never going to be AN end - cos of the second series.

Yeah exactly, I don't know where else they can go now that we know for sure Brodie's been turned.
    I've loved the series but wish it had ended properly.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Like something, anything.....as it was, nothing happened in the Final Episode.....it was awful.

It was definitely a let down in as much as because there's another season all that time spent on Brody preparing to blow himself up was obviously not gonna happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Sadly I have to echo many of the more negative posts....episodes 1-9....excellent....but the finale was a let down....Although to be honest I was`t surprised because having tried my best to avoid all spoilers I read by chance that Daniel Lewis had signed up for a second series.....and that was the problem imo with the finale...It was`t a finale....it was nothing more than a final episode whose sole point was to set up a second series.

I would have preferred Homeland to have been a stand alone drama...one series...and that`s it....but hey hoe that`s not the way things are done in the US.....Imo they could have tied the whole series up with an extra 15 to 20 minutes of air time.....Whilst Carrie recovers from her treatment and lives aimlessly in her own drug controlled world...no longer caring about Brody or plots.....Saul continues to bang on firmly shut doors....The plot and the tension is slowly wound down and in final scene of the series we see Brody, the VP and his cabinet elect ...all gathered and accepting the plaudits of the party faithful as the news is announced that the VP has won the nomination to run for President.....this time there is no finger on the button...just a bang and a black screen...end credits...we don`t know who was killed...or who the killer was.

The above scenario would have meant this series could have been a stand alone drama...with a beginning...a middle and an end....whilst at the same time leaving the door open for a follow up series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Held its audience very well, and finished on a series high

19 Feb Homeland 2.2m
    26 Feb Homeland 2.36m
    04 Mar Homeland 2.36m
    11 Mar Homeland: 2.28m
    18 Mar Homeland 2.46m
    25 Mar Homeland 2.62m
    1 Apr Homeland - 2.31m
    8 Apr Homeland: 2.16m
    15 Apr Homeland: 2.57m
    22nd Homeland: 2.3m
    29th Homeland 2.34m
    6 May Homeland 2.86m
    All inc. +1

I'm going to start watching the original Israeli version on Sky Arts on Thurs.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly I have to echo many of the more negative posts....episodes 1-9....excellent....but the finale was a let down....Although to be honest I was`t surprised because having tried my best to avoid all spoilers I read by chance that Daniel Lewis had signed up for a second series.....and that was the problem imo with the finale...It was`t a finale....it was nothing more than a final episode whose sole point was to set up a second series.

I would have preferred Homeland to have been a stand alone drama...one series...and that`s it....but hey hoe that`s not the way things are done in the US.....Imo they could have tied the whole series up with an extra 15 to 20 minutes of air time.....Whilst Carrie recovers from her treatment and lives aimlessly in her own drug controlled world...no longer caring about Brody or plots.....Saul continues to bang on firmly shut doors....The plot and the tension is slowly wound down and in final scene of the series we see Brody, the VP and his cabinet elect ...all gathered and accepting the plaudits of the party faithful as the news is announced that the VP has won the nomination to run for President.....this time there is no finger on the button...just a bang and a black screen...end credits...we don`t know who was killed...or who the killer was.

The above scenario would have meant this series could have been a stand alone drama...with a beginning...a middle and an end....whilst at the same time leaving the door open for a follow up series.

I'm with you. I was disappointed and would have preferred not to have a second series. It'll get a bit like Lost.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nitpick - when did this family powwow occur, where Dana was told of her father's infidelity with Carrie? I could just about accept Jessies intuitive knowledge that the reason Brody stayed away overnight wasn't totally to do with their problems at settling back into a relationship after 8 years of estrangement and all the ensuing arguments that caused. But a 16 year old?

Other than that, I quite enjoyed the finale. The first half, or at least up until the bombing attempt, was quite tense and edge of seat drama considering there were no surprises. It fizzled out post-ba but it was quite nice to see (imo) Saul steal the show from under the noses of the younger characters. He was a real hero tonight and I was worried that he would jeopardise his own career (and thus a part in Homeland 2) with his obstinate refusal to stop digging. Now it's fingers crossed that Galvez isn't the mole.

David Harewood's one dimensional acting was always the weak link of this series for me (along with Morena Baccarin), but I have to admit I may have got it wrong because Estes' complete lack of emotional intelligence certainly worked for the reveal that he was part of the drone attack decision making and subsequent cover-up. Maybe next series it will be Jessie's turn to make me think again :p

I picked up on that business with Dana. I don't remember her meeting Carrie.
This discussion has been closed.