Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that its not on next week despite no Sky at Night suggests it will soon be curtains for the repeats.:(

Next week is is some world classical music singing competition thing on every night from 7.30, no room for TOTP next week.
  • Options
    wrighty65wrighty65 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    corriander wrote: »
    Sort of, but they kept on having minor hits until 1982 (Was it Who put the Bomp? )

i was randomly checking out some of their minor early 80's 'hits' a couple of months ago and was struck by how bizarre they looked performing this on their last ever TOTP appearance in sep '82, they seem totally out of place amongst the new style 'paid to dance' audience :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJyWf3UhWCE
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not understanding how there coud have been a grease cip shown originally, as David Jenson quite clearly sais 'to illustrate the nation's number one single, legs and co.' Unless theres a very clever bit of editing going on.
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a good episode last night overall. Not one of bob marley's best songs though, shame he wasn't there for Is This Love. And where was David Soul? Pops up for a quick chat with Peter Powell a few weeks back and doesn't bother to perform his single. I like the way most acts now are coming back for a second performance rather than showing a repeated clip, makes it feel a lot more like a proper show and not a clip show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Do you think her dad made her watch it? :D

Poor thing, she's only 16 and likely reckons Little Mix & Olly Murs (sorry for swearing on the thread) are the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

What a shame we can't place a firewall around this TOTP 1978 thread against such deluded and inarticulate posts! :p

Off to a music re-education camp for the Egg girl. ;)

stand back i can smell mintballz from here

if u think musizc is just Olly Murs thats why you like this old rubiish. right now on shuffle ive got
    skillex
    bassnectar
    nero
    zomboy
    skream
    if i want to chill its cinematic orchesrta or robbie glasper. robbies got more talent in his little finger than all the dinosaruz on this page

but itz cool ill leave you to your timewarp

black radio black radio black radio oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhh
    :cool:

PS layZboyz i wrote EMFDYSI not EMFDYWI guess you cant tell the diff - BOOMSLAP
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    wrighty65 wrote: »
    i was randomly checking out some of their minor early 80's 'hits' a couple of months ago and was struck by how bizarre they looked performing this on their last ever TOTP appearance in sep '82, they seem totally out of place amongst the new style 'paid to dance' audience :eek:

Its weird, its like someone had flicked a switch and everything had changed, there was colour and life in the show, but the "old guard" - acts and presenters looked so out of place. Maybe it was things like C4 starting and being younger and brasher with more youth based music shows, the gap between the 70's and 80's looks vast.

I do like playing "flare bingo" on this series. The old established acts are still donning their trusty Lionel's but the younger ones (as I was at the time) wouldn't touch them with a barge pole:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I do like playing "flare bingo" on this series.

LMFAO
    :D
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joyce_Egg wrote: »

if u think musizc is just Olly Murs thats why you like this old rubiish. right now on shuffle ive got
    skillex
    bassnectar
    nero
    zomboy
    skream
    if i want to chill its cinematic orchesrta or robbie glasper. robbies got more talent in his little finger than all the dinosaruz on this page

So ironic, as you obviously don't ...

The roots of the music you are listening to can be found in the past. Clearly a concept you cannot bring yourself to open your mind to.

So shall we leave you to your blinkered vision?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I do like playing "flare bingo" on this series. The old established acts are still donning their trusty Lionel's but the younger ones (as I was at the time) wouldn't touch them with a barge pole:D

Damn right. Wearing flares at my school back then was the equivalent of putting a 'KICK ME' sign on your own back. Nobody wanted to be 'Flary Mary'.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

skillex
    bassnectar
    nero
    zomboy
    skream

Translation please?:confused:
  • Options
    CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Anyone fluent in 16year old speak? :D
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    wrighty65 wrote: »

Thanks, but I do not think they were half-bad at all. They seemed so naff back then, but they were pros.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not understanding how there coud have been a grease cip shown originally, as David Jenson quite clearly sais 'to illustrate the nation's number one single, legs and co.' Unless theres a very clever bit of editing going on.

Grease came out in the UK in October 1978.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    They are from Devon! Clout were from South Africa, perhaps you are thinking of them?

The moral is that the memory plays tricks on you.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do believe there are a lot of TOTP myths. Record sales being my personal gripe that I began with on here exactly a year ago now. But I'm not certain that you can genuinely take one single edition of TOTP to make a statement about certain genres. A full month of 4 would be a better sample size. However I certainly agree that with Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy and that abysmal Whitesnake track, it was as if the punk and new wave explosion never was.

For some reason I was expecting Sex Pistols to be coming up with a top tenner, Holidays In The Sun next month, but just grabbed my book to see it was an October 1977 hit, yet I cannot recall it ever being shown once on TOTP despite it's No8 position? We do get another Sex Pistols top tenner next month however, must have been the one I was thinking about, a No7 double A sided hit called No One Is Innocent / My Way. I'm guessing if they put this one on TOTP in the next few weeks then they ignore My Way and go fro No One Is Innocent. But clearly the sound of the era was dormant in this late June 1978 edition, and I'm also assuming it was the full TOTP we saw and not a trimmed down one, as the late night showing appears to be the same length.

In lots of ways TOTP is not the place in 1977 to 1978 to see the New Wave. Once its influence is established from 1979 the extent to which even the singles chart had been transformed. The New Wave revitalised British music, but the singles chart was still a potpourri. That it remained of course, but the next few years come close to the mid sixties peak.

Also, note that the big New Wave/punk bands were not having big hit singles. The Clash, The Buzzcocks for example were all having minor hits; classics now, but minor hits then.

What is interesting is what happens to pop. That will be worth checking out in the coming months. I think even pop raised its game. Bucks Fizz for example, and Dollar were a whole lot better than Brotherhood of Man.

We'll see. Well, we hope we will see.:)
  • Options
    wrighty65wrighty65 Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Thanks, but I do not think they were half-bad at all. They seemed so naff back then, but they were pros.:)

no i'm not disagreeing with you, showaddywaddy were good guys but their look and style seemed out of place for the 80's thats all...and give me the 'normal' totp audiences from the 70's any day over this lot :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    The roots of the music you are listening to can be found in the past. Clearly a concept you cannot bring yourself to open your mind to.

So shall we leave you to your blinkered vision?

your havin a laugh

your blinkered cuz your stuck in 78 and the other guy dissd r&b music thats happening now

hymns and stuff are from the past but i dont want to listen to that either. i dont care whats gone befroe if its rubbish

your gooing to have to leave the tardis one day grandad

:cry:
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must have missed Rosalie [ a lumpen Bob Seeger throwaway rocker ] being a Thin Lizzy single.

Never got the point of Bob Marley, even by his standards an awful insipid dirge.

BOM...oh dear, poor effort, still fancy the blonde lass though.

That lad dancing with Legs and Co......definately Gay or I'm Tina Charles' love child.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    I would imagine that to show clips for all of the hits would be far too costly for the BBC. I assume that for one or two of the songs the track will have to be completely edited out of TOTP as there will be nothing they can replace the film clip with.

Can someone explain to me again why it is costly now in 2013 to show the film clips - but back in 1978 it wasn't!!? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite annoying really. Another re-writing of history. This means a lot more hit records in 1978 are going to suffer the same fate then, John & Olivia's Summer Nights, Frankie Valli's Grease, Olivia's Hopelessly Devoted and also Travolta's Sandy, all massive hit singles in the next five months.

Maybe it would be easier to jump ahead 5 months and restart the reruns from about October! - Afterall, I think the best of 78 has been and gone now! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I too hope you are wrong! It would be good if BBC4 could show TOTP 1979 as it would nicely round off the end of the 1970s decade.

Yes - I hope RT is wrong as well as we don't want to be having to write to the BBC again this year! :(

- 1979 is one of the best years of the decade!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    The New Wave stuff all seemed to be between numbers 20 and 30, and all either on the way down and/or on the previous week.

Yes - I noticed that too - Ian Dury, Sham 69, Boomtown Rats, Elvis Costello etc etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member

skillex
    bassnectar
    nero
    zomboy
    skream

? :confused:

- Mind you - I have heard of bassnectar
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That lad dancing with Legs and Co......definately Gay or I'm Tina Charles' love child.

Oh come on! everyone knew Floyd was gay.............didn't they? :rolleyes:

skillex
    bassnectar
    nero
    zomboy
    skream

First to find a 70's or 80's sample in one of the above's tracks, gotta be a touch of Nile Rogers somewhere?

It might make your ears bleed trying!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    These repeats will not end, but you could not have invented it that thirty-five years on we are awaiting the results of a court case to see how many we will get. Wierd.

Hope you're right! ;)
This discussion has been closed.